Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

The Jewish paternity question

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Hi team,
I've been looking but can't find in any text where it says that "Jewishness" is inherited from the mother. Is there a term for this, which book?

Is there a rationale? and there are obviously paternal inheritance character in Judaism.., what conflict is there?

Thanks!

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: The Jewish paternity question

Post #2

Post by ttruscott »

Willum wrote: Hi team,
I've been looking but can't find in any text where it says that "Jewishness" is inherited from the mother. Is there a term for this, which book?

Is there a rationale? and there are obviously paternal inheritance character in Judaism.., what conflict is there?

Thanks!

http://www.chabad.org/theJewishWoman/ar ... Mother.htm
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Willum
Savant

Post #3

Post by Willum »

[Replying to ttruscott]

TS, I mean scripture or divine word.
I thank you, it is an interesting article - but it's not a Bible verse.

Cordially yours

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ttruscott »

Willum wrote: [Replying to ttruscott]

Cordially yours
No TS around here...
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Willum wrote: [Replying to ttruscott]

Cordially yours
No, there is no such verse or indication of this teaching in scripture. Ruth's child for example was considered "Jewish" although she herself was not a Jew.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #6

Post by JP Cusick »

Willum wrote: Hi team,

Thanks!
There is no Bible text for that, except maybe Genesis 3:20
"And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living."

The problem with paternity is that some times the mother does not know who is the father, and some times the mother lies and she will point at who ever she chooses and claims that man as the father, and there were instances of rape where the father was not welcome into the family.

So we can not be certain as to who is the father, but the mother we know by at the time of the birth.

I even heard an interesting thing recently that long long ago primitive people really did not know where the babies came from, as people just thought that the females had babies on their own. Primitive people did not know that the action of sex actually produced the baby nine months later. No one really knows when people figured out that cause-and-effect, and it took much longer for other people to accept that story about the creation of babies being a 2 way joint venture.

Even today into the 21st century a lot of that confusion is still true.

It has always appreciated when the baby / child looks like their father.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian: