Post by paarsurrey1 »

ttruscott wrote:
Jonah died in the 'fish'...Jonah 2:2 He said:
“In my distress I called to the Lord,
and he answered me.
From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help,
and you listened to my cry.

6 To the roots of the mountains I sank down;
the earth beneath barred me in forever. The roots of the mountains are below the seafloor...the place of Sheol. So while his dead body was still in the 'whale', he was in Sheol.
Jonah died in the 'fish'...
If Jesus died on the Cross and got resurrected and this makes Jesus a God, with the same argument Jonah should be Christian-God, as Jonah as per the quote put forward by friend ttruscott also died in the belly of the fish and got resurrected from the dead. Right, please?
Regards
______
One may like to read Post 3 thread "What is bad about taking "Bhagavad Gita" as sacred?"
Debating Christianity and Religion Forum Index -> Non-Christian Religions and Philosophies

paarsurrey1
Sage

Re: Is Jonah a God like Jesus?

Post #11

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 7 by paarsurrey1]

You are correct. Everytime we deligitimize the Bible by saying something is metaphor then we must allow the NT story is not real either.

It doesn't mean the Koran is real. If anything it means that modern people do not accept the word of ancient fairy tales.

Why aren't you trying to be a modern person and start looking at the Koran as an ancient fairy tale?

Why can you understand the argument you are making against Jonah but not applying it to your own holy book?
I am a man evolved in billions of years under a process set by One-True-God. In me, ancient and modernity converge. Past cannot be separated from me while I live in the modern world. Truth was and is and will remain the same though it changes virtually, it is Absolute, beyond time and space.

Quran is not an ancient tale, it claims it and gives reasons.
Right, please?

Regards

Wootah
Savant

Post #12

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to paarsurrey1]

Jesus said that before we point out the c speck in someone else's eye we should remove the log in our own eye.

That's what I was reminded of by your reply.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #13

Post by paarsurrey1 »

You are correct. Everytime we deligitimize the Bible by saying something is metaphor then we must allow the NT story is not real either.

It doesn't mean the Koran is real. If anything it means that modern people do not accept the word of ancient fairy tales.

Why aren't you trying to be a modern person and start looking at the Koran as an ancient fairy tale?

Why can you understand the argument you are making against Jonah but not applying it to your own holy book?
Quran does not peg Jesus tribulations on the Cross with those of Jonah's.
If Quran pegs it with Jonah, then please quote it.
It is Bible that establishes/pegs it with Jonah and then cannot prove it. It is Pauline Christianity that makes this mythical story.

Regards

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #14

Post by paarsurrey1 »

paarsurrey1 wrote:

It is Bible that establishes/pegs it with Jonah and then cannot prove it. It is Pauline Christianity that makes this mythical story.
Anybody, please
Regards

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #15

Post by JP Cusick »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:

Anybody, please
Regards
It is the Bible which aligns the 3 days of Jonah with the 3 days of Jesus on the cross, Matthew 12:39-41

So then you denounce that from the Bible as a "ridiculous assertion" in your comment #9

Thereafter the person "Wootah" is asking you why you do not use the same judgment against the Qur'an ? since you use it against the Bible.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #16

Post by paarsurrey1 »

JP Cusick wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:

Anybody, please
Regards
It is the Bible which aligns the 3 days of Jonah with the 3 days of Jesus on the cross, Matthew 12:39-41

So then you denounce that from the Bible as a "ridiculous assertion" in your comment #9

Thereafter the person "Wootah" is asking you why you do not use the same judgment against the Qur'an ? since you use it against the Bible.
Bible doesn't say that but says:

40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly

Bible says "three days and three nights", 3 days+3 nignts; which Jesus did not accomplish. Did he, please?

Regards

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #17

Post by JP Cusick »

paarsurrey1 wrote: Bible doesn't say that but says:

40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly

Bible says "three days and three nights", 3 days+3 nignts; which Jesus did not accomplish. Did he, please?

Regards
The Bible has it correct - and it is just people and Christianity that has it wrong.

It was 3 days and 3 nights - and the crucifixion was done as the Passover and nothing to do with Easter.

The "Last Supper" was the Passover meal (Matthew 26:17-20) starting on a Tuesday evening, and then the next day Wednesday Jesus got arrested and had trials, and then crucified on Wednesday evening and resurrected late Saturday (Sabbath Day) at the late evening time - which is the beginning of the 1st day Sunday at sundown on Saturday evening, see Matthew 28:1

That counts as a full 3 days = Thursday, Friday, Sabbath Day, = and 3 nights being Wednesday night, Thursday night and Friday night.

Christianity has it wrong - the Bible has it correct.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

rstrats
Scholar

Post #18

Post by rstrats »

JP Cusick,
re: "...the next day Wednesday Jesus got arrested and had trials, and then crucified on Wednesday evening..."

Wednesday evening had been over some 3 hours by the time of the crucifixion at the 3rd hour (around 9am).

HaShev

I Hope you don't mind me resurrecting this old post

Post #19

Post by HaShev »

In the Jonah story you need to first understand the use of biblical words in that era and particular context in order to better interpret the Jonah story.
Then and only then can you better grasp Matthews mimicking the Jonah story, otherwise you use modern day use of words not Biblical era ones.
This would be liken to reading your kids slang today but interpreting it with literal meaning as you know it, not as it's meaning used in slang to hide their rebellious language from parents/or authority.
Go back and read Jonah now knowing slang terms lije
Ships=army and sea=Rome, and now tell me where your preachers ever taught it properly if they interpreted ships as literal ships and seas as waters?
So if the book of Matthew uses Jonah in analogy then you have to admit your preachers got that wrong as or admit Matthew was not written by a Jew.
Thus a Roman one world religion forming the meaning and precepts would not get it translated properly, because the slang was hidden from them.
In the Biblical era the Dead Sea Scrolls showed us what "Day" meant in certain context.
The Ages of The World Scroll
4Q180-181 reveals Days=Ages
So 3 days=3ages
So 3 day(ages) story of Jonah and the Whale has to be rediscovered in meaning, as the riddle where Jonah (Said to represent Israel) spends 3days(ages) in the belly of the whale (Rome swallowed Israel).
Remember:in ancient slang Rome is called Seas and it's Army called Ships, so they would not know they were being spoken of during revolts.
Slang used in the Jonah story refer to the Ship surrounding him (Roman army) in the Sea(Rome).
So we did see it took 3 ages before Jonah (Israel) came out of this Whale Rome/Europe to be free again as Israel returned/restored/placed back(HaShev) exactly 3 ages(days) as prophesied in the Jonah story.