Is Jonah a God like Jesus?

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

paarsurrey1
Sage
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Is Jonah a God like Jesus?

Post #1

Post by paarsurrey1 »

ttruscott wrote:
Jonah died in the 'fish'...Jonah 2:2 He said:
“In my distress I called to the Lord,
and he answered me.
From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help,
and you listened to my cry.

6 To the roots of the mountains I sank down;
the earth beneath barred me in forever. The roots of the mountains are below the seafloor...the place of Sheol. So while his dead body was still in the 'whale', he was in Sheol.
Jonah died in the 'fish'...
If Jesus died on the Cross and got resurrected and this makes Jesus a God, with the same argument Jonah should be Christian-God, as Jonah as per the quote put forward by friend ttruscott also died in the belly of the fish and got resurrected from the dead. Right, please?
Regards
______
One may like to read Post 3 thread "What is bad about taking "Bhagavad Gita" as sacred?"
Debating Christianity and Religion Forum Index -> Non-Christian Religions and Philosophies

User avatar
JP Cusick
Guru
Posts: 1556
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:25 pm
Location: 20636 USA
Contact:

Re: Is Jonah a God like Jesus?

Post #2

Post by JP Cusick »

paarsurrey1 wrote: If Jesus died on the Cross and got resurrected and this makes Jesus a God, with the same argument Jonah should be Christian-God, as Jonah as per the quote put forward by friend ttruscott also died in the belly of the fish and got resurrected from the dead. Right, please?
Being resurrected does not make a person into a God.

We can say that every person really is already a type of God or a demi-God, but being resurrected is not the way to becoming a God.

I like the interpretation that Jonah died in the fish as it makes far better sense that Jonah later got resurrected from death, instead of the ridiculous assertion that he lived 3 days inside the fish, and Jonah being dead then resurrected aligns much better with Jesus on the cross and dead for 3 days.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

paarsurrey1
Sage
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Re: Is Jonah a God like Jesus?

Post #3

Post by paarsurrey1 »

JP Cusick wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: If Jesus died on the Cross and got resurrected and this makes Jesus a God, with the same argument Jonah should be Christian-God, as Jonah as per the quote put forward by friend ttruscott also died in the belly of the fish and got resurrected from the dead. Right, please?
Being resurrected does not make a person into a God.

We can say that every person really is already a type of God or a demi-God, but being resurrected is not the way to becoming a God.

I like the interpretation that Jonah died in the fish as it makes far better sense that Jonah later got resurrected from death, instead of the ridiculous assertion that he lived 3 days inside the fish, and Jonah being dead then resurrected aligns much better with Jesus on the cross and dead for 3 days.
Being resurrected does not make a person into a God.
But this is exactly the argument of Pauline Christianity. Isn't it, please?
1 Corinthians 15:13-14
13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen. 14 And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... rsion=NKJV

Regards
______
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_Corinthians_15

User avatar
JP Cusick
Guru
Posts: 1556
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:25 pm
Location: 20636 USA
Contact:

Re: Is Jonah a God like Jesus?

Post #4

Post by JP Cusick »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
JP Cusick wrote: Being resurrected does not make a person into a God.
But this is exactly the argument of Pauline Christianity. Isn't it, please?
1 Corinthians 15:13-14
13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen. 14 And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... rsion=NKJV
No, that is not accurate.

It is said that Jesus was already a God before He was ever born as a human.

Then as a God-person Jesus performed miracles, and at the last Jesus rose (resurrected) from the dead.

The resurrection is to give humanity our hope that we too may be resurrected and SAVED based on the sacrifice of Jesus as the Christ.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

paarsurrey1
Sage
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Re: Is Jonah a God like Jesus?

Post #5

Post by paarsurrey1 »

JP Cusick wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:
JP Cusick wrote: Being resurrected does not make a person into a God.
But this is exactly the argument of Pauline Christianity. Isn't it, please?
1 Corinthians 15:13-14
13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen. 14 And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... rsion=NKJV
No, that is not accurate.

It is said that Jesus was already a God before He was ever born as a human.

Then as a God-person Jesus performed miracles, and at the last Jesus rose (resurrected) from the dead.

The resurrection is to give humanity our hope that we too may be resurrected and SAVED based on the sacrifice of Jesus as the Christ.
I don't agree with one.
I gave the reason Paul based his argument on. Sign of Jonah is the greatest sign Jesus promised to show. This is Paul's tool for his call to blind-faith in Christianity he created and it is the back-bone of it. If this is repudiated, faith in Christianity becomes "empty" or "vain".
If Jonah was not god with the same sign, Jesus was also not god or both or all the Jews were gods as per the usage of OT. Please
Regards

bjs
Prodigy
Posts: 3222
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Re: Is Jonah a God like Jesus?

Post #6

Post by bjs »

[Replying to paarsurrey1]

In context, Jonah’s words are almost certainly poetic description of a hopeless situation, not a literal death. The fact that he returns to the topic in the same psalm, saying that his “life was ebbing away,� as opposed to actual death confirms that saying Jonah literally died in the whale is not a reasonable interpretation.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

paarsurrey1
Sage
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Re: Is Jonah a God like Jesus?

Post #7

Post by paarsurrey1 »

bjs wrote: [Replying to paarsurrey1]

In context, Jonah’s words are almost certainly poetic description of a hopeless situation, not a literal death. The fact that he returns to the topic in the same psalm, saying that his “life was ebbing away,� as opposed to actual death confirms that saying Jonah literally died in the whale is not a reasonable interpretation.
Jonah’s words are almost certainly poetic description of a hopeless situation, not a literal death
The same way Jesus' words, if he ever spoke about being raised from the dead, must be taken as poetic, not literally from the dead but from the near-dead. It doesn't lessen the significance of the Sign though.Rather its significance and importance is increased manifold. Right, please?

Regards

bjs
Prodigy
Posts: 3222
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Re: Is Jonah a God like Jesus?

Post #8

Post by bjs »

[Replying to paarsurrey1]

Jesus’ disciples certainly thought that way at first. When Jesus spoke plainly about his death and resurrection, the disciples thought he was speaking metaphorically and “wondered what he meant by rising from the dead.�

Later those same disciples claimed that Jesus did literally died in Jerusalem and then literally rose from the dead.

There is a valid analogy between Jonah and Jesus, but the context of the passages suggests that one was metaphorical and the other literal.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

paarsurrey1
Sage
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Re: Is Jonah a God like Jesus?

Post #9

Post by paarsurrey1 »

JP Cusick wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: If Jesus died on the Cross and got resurrected and this makes Jesus a God, with the same argument Jonah should be Christian-God, as Jonah as per the quote put forward by friend ttruscott also died in the belly of the fish and got resurrected from the dead. Right, please?
Being resurrected does not make a person into a God.

We can say that every person really is already a type of God or a demi-God, but being resurrected is not the way to becoming a God.

I like the interpretation that Jonah died in the fish as it makes far better sense that Jonah later got resurrected from death, instead of the ridiculous assertion that he lived 3 days inside the fish, and Jonah being dead then resurrected aligns much better with Jesus on the cross and dead for 3 days.
instead of the ridiculous assertion that he lived 3 days inside the fish
This "ridiculous assertion" is of the scribes of the OT and NT.

The Holy Qur’an is not specific regarding the number of days of Jonah’s ordeal:

“And surely Jonah also was one of the Messengers, When he fled to the laden ship; And he cast lots with the crew of the ship and was of the losers. And the fish swallowed him while he was blaming himself. And had he not been of those who glorify God, He would have surely tarried in its belly till the Day of Resurrection.� *
* Holy Qur’an, Surah Al-Saffat, Verse 140-145.

Quran corrects the mistakes committed by the narrators/scribes and or the clergy of the OT, NT and other scriptures. It is an appreciable characteristic of Quran. Right, please?
And Quran rightly claims it.
Regards

Wootah
Savant
Posts: 7954
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:16 am
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Is Jonah a God like Jesus?

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 7 by paarsurrey1]

You are correct. Everytime we deligitimize the Bible by saying something is metaphor then we must allow the NT story is not real either.

It doesn't mean the Koran is real. If anything it means that modern people do not accept the word of ancient fairy tales.

Why aren't you trying to be a modern person and start looking at the Koran as an ancient fairy tale?

Why can you understand the argument you are making against Jonah but not applying it to your own holy book?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

Looking for head to head debates, especially on contradictions or the Trinity. PM me your topic.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Edit preferences to remove all the fluff: ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view

Post Reply