Jehovah Witnesses And the Purpose Of Living

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Jehovah Witnesses And the Purpose Of Living

Post #1

Post by Miles »

As I understand it, JWs don't believe in hell, and they believe that only 144,000 people will end up in heaven. If this is correct,

1. What is the JW's purpose in living, and

2. Lacking consequences, what keeps them from sinning?

Last edited by Miles on Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Overcomer
Guru

Re: Jehovah Witnesses And the Purpose Of Living

Post #11

Post by Overcomer »

theQuestion wrote:
Think we need to live in abject terror of your Sadistic Trio?
It's one thing to insult me, as a Christian. I can take that. But when you insult the Triune God of the Bible, that's an entirely different manner. It makes my blood boil.

Tell me this: Does your Jehovah condone disrespect and discourtesy?

Here's what Scripture says:

Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth (2 Tim. 2:25).

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience (Col. 3:12).

I have no problem with you disagreeing with traditional Christian teaching, but could you please refrain from insults and present your arguments politely? As it says in Proverbs, "a gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger" (Prov. 15:1).

theQuestion
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by theQuestion »

You don't realize that teaching Jesus Christ and his God and Father have- and will FOREVER WILL BE- burning trillions of men, women, and children alive, and have worms and maggoits 'They' have given Etenal Life to so that they can chew on them- is what SHOULD make your blood boil.

For that is the Ultimate Slander of God and Christ, mt angry 'friend'...
You MUST worship with spirit & TRUTH!- Jesus

theQuestion
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by theQuestion »

Hell/Hades is the GRAVE.
So, make all the false claims you wish- ALL real Christians DO believe in it.
You MUST worship with spirit & TRUTH!- Jesus

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Hello Miles,

Miles wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:37 pm
As I understand it, JWs don't believe in hell, and they believe that only 144,000 people will end up in heaven. If this is correct,
Your summary was correct.

1. What is the JW's purpose in living .. .?
We believe the purpose of life is the same for all people, to be happy and fulfilled.

No actions "lack consequences"; Jehovahs Witnesses avoid practising sin because we have learnt to love God and our neighbours.

Hope my answers were of help,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:37 pmLacking consequences, what keeps them from sinning?
I don't think most people believe you should only refrain from sin because of consequences. That people believe this is the same basic premise that allows religious people to think of atheists as monsters and latent criminals just waiting for their opportunity.

What is wrong is something you ought not to do, regardless of what will or won't happen to you because of it. I'm thinking that most religious and areligious alike share this view, though something odd is that each group seems to assume the other doesn't.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:37 pm .

1. What is the JW's purpose in living, and

I don't think consequences keeps anyone from sinning all the time. They might persuade them from doing so from time to time I suspect.
The whole "144K" aspect of belief I find both fascinating and stupid, personally. Why would anyone that's lived after the "Jesus times" expect they'll be a part of the 144,000?!?
Billions of people on the planet RIGHT NOW, and someone believes they're going to be a part of the 144K? Really? Or do they know they're not, but continued to try to live right anyway? That would make more sense IMO, as odd as that sounds.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

nobspeople wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:53 pm Why would anyone that's lived after the "Jesus times" expect they'll be a part of the 144,000?!?
Billions of people on the planet RIGHT NOW, and someone believes they're going to be a part of the 144K? Really? Or do they know they're not, but continued to try to live right anyway? That would make more sense IMO, as odd as that sounds.
I do believe this SUBFORUM is to ask a question about a particular believe. Could you clarify if your question are to seek a response from one of Jehovah's Witnesses ?
otseng wrote: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:47 am The intent of this subforum is to allow members to ask questions about a particular belief. Debating is not allowed here. Any comments considered to be demeaning or sarcastic about any beliefs will not be tolerated. The purpose here is simply to gain knowledge from others about a particular belief system. If the conversation leads to something that you want to debate, then open a new debate topic in the appropriate debate subforum.

If so, perhaps if you could repost in a new thread so we can see each question and respond accordingly. (It gets either confusing if people's questions for us are tagged on to the answers to other people questions. )

Thanks

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:27 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:53 pm Why would anyone that's lived after the "Jesus times" expect they'll be a part of the 144,000?!?
I do believe this SUBFORUM is to ask a question about a particular believe. Could you clarify if your question are to seek a response from one of Jehovah's Witnesses ?

Thanks

JW
Any response is better then none.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #19

nobspeople wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:09 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:27 pm

Thanks

JW
Any response is better then none.
Then could you please repost your question (for one of Jehovah's Witnesses in the heading) in a new thread.

Thanks,

JW