What do you believe?

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

What do you believe?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

One of the difficult things about debating on a site such as this is trying to keep track of who believes what. Sometimes you can be arguing a point with say a Christian, only to find out that person has a different opinion to what you assumed. Eg Debating the concept of eternal suffering in Hell and finding out the Christian you debated with doesn’t believe Hell is eternal suffering.

I thought it would be handy to create a questionnaire that we can all answer (not just Christians all though it mainly revolves around biblical philosophies) that tells everyone our stance on certain issues. I’m hoping it might be a database we can refer to, to jog our memories of a person’s particular stance. I know I enjoy doing surveys like this, so perhaps there are others here too. It may be that people don’t want to do it, it may be that only a few will even bother, but I thought I’d try it out anyway.

The idea is to answer the questions with very basic answers. Hopefully one word answers, but no more than a sentence. (I have given sample answers, but you aren’t limited to those). No need to back up your views with scripture or anything. The idea of this thread is not to debate issues but just to allow people to know where each of us stands. Some of the questions do assume there is a God, but an atheist should still be able to answer them eg if the question is “Is God omniscient� then you can answer “no� based on the fact you don’t believe in God. Or you can answer based on what you believe God would be according to your observations.

Feel free to skip any questions you don’t want to answer or just can’t answer.

1. Do you believe in God? Yes/No/Uncertain Who?
2. Do you blame God for what’s wrong in your life and in this world? Yes/no? How can I blame something I don’t believe in?
3. The only way to God is through Jesus Christ yes/no/Unsure/Not relevant to me
4. Christianity is a religion Yes/No
5. Christianity is a relationship with God Yes/No
6. Catholics are Christian Yes/No
7. Believing in Christ is a choice Yes/No/You can’t choose to believe something, you either do or you don’t believe.
8. The Bible is… The infallible word of God/Inspired by God/Man’s beliefs about God
9. It requires the holy spirit to understand scripture. Yes/No
10. There are contradictions in the bible Yes/No
11. The gospels are eye witness accounts Yes/no/It’s all heresay
12. The creation story is literal history Yes/No
13. Noah’s Ark and the great flood is a true story Yes/No
It was a local flood Yes/No
It covered the entire world Yes/No
14. God is omniscient (knows everything there is to know including future events) Yes/No
15. God is omnipotent (all powerful) Yes/No
16. God is omnipresent (everywhere) Yes/No/If he chooses to be
17. God is loving Yes/No
18. God is just Yes/No
19. God is merciful Yes/No
20. God is perfect Yes/No
21. God answers prayer Yes/No/Some times
22. God protects his followers Yes/No/Some times
23. God requires works rather than faith Yes/No
24. God violates freewill yes/no/some times
25. God always keeps his promises: Yes/No
26. God sins (based on the bible definition of what sin is) Yes/No
27. Morals: Come from God/Come as a result of evolution
28. Miracles do happen these days Yes/No
29. Hell is… Eternal suffering/Death by fire/the Grave/On Earth
30. God created Hell Yes/No
31. God created Satan Yes/No
32. Young children and babies will go to hell if they are not saved Yes/No
33. People who have never heard the gospel will go to Hell Yes/No
34. Suffering is: God testing us/A result of Satan’s activities/Adam and Eve’s fault/A result of evolution
35. The earth is: around 6-7000 years old/Millions of years old
36. God used evolution to create life Yes/No/Evolution has no intelligence behind it.
37. Sin = Evil things that people do/Actions God hates/ Actions religious leaders hate/Human nature
38. Homosexuality is a sin Yes/No
39. Atheists are evil Yes/No
40. Salvation = Once saved always saved/Requires actions to maintain/There is no such thing
41. You must be baptized to be saved: Yes/No/Unsure
42. Ex Christians were: Never true Christians to begin with/Were Christians but deconverted for some reason
43. Rank in order of importance: Faith, Knowledge, Critical thinking, Belief, Hope
44. What is the purpose of the Holy Spirit = (describe in one or two sentences if possible)
45. What does it take to consider yourself a true Christian? (Try to keep your answer as brief as possible)
Last edited by OnceConvinced on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by Goat »

tlong wrote:
I am curious how you explain our existance? Do you agree that looking at things around us show some kind of intelligent design?
No, the things around us do not show 'intelligent design' at all. Complexity can arise from simple rules and a set of rules and filters.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

tlong
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by tlong »

goat wrote:
tlong wrote:
I am curious how you explain our existance? Do you agree that looking at things around us show some kind of intelligent design?
No, the things around us do not show 'intelligent design' at all. Complexity can arise from simple rules and a set of rules and filters.

If you look at what we do know about such things as the human body, such as the way a cell works, the way our heart beats,the way our eyes work, etc, I don't think a set of 'simple rules and filters could bring about such a complex organism. Then I must also question why other planets do not have some kind of life. Do you believe in evolution?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by Goat »

tlong wrote:
goat wrote:
tlong wrote:

If you look at what we do know about such things as the human body, such as the way a cell works, the way our heart beats,the way our eyes work, etc, I don't think a set of 'simple rules and filters could bring about such a complex organism. Then I must also question why other planets do not have some kind of life. Do you believe in evolution?
It is not a matter of belief, but rather accepting the facts.

What you have is the logical fallacy known as 'personal incredibility'. However, we can show the principle quite well through computer modeling.

In the case of life, the rules that are being followed is known as 'chemistry', and the filter is 'reproductive fitness'. You do not even have to have chemicals that can be considered alive to show this in principle.

For example, scientists found RNA molecules that replicate themselves when they have enough chemicals to assemble around them. They replicate themselves imperfectly, and the environment in which they are in become dominated by the rna molecules that are better are reproducing themselves.

In the short time they have been observing them (and feeding them the raw materials), the rna molecules have become longer and more complex.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #24

Post by OnceConvinced »

Hi folks, I'd ask that you take your discussion to another thread, because I intended this one to be a database for people to refer to, rather than a discussion.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

catalyst
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by catalyst »

1. Do you believe in God? None of the "god" models presented to me so far, so no.

2. Do you blame God for what’s wrong in your life and in this world? NO (as to my life) and NO (as to this world) however I do blame religion for a lot of the worlds ills, so perhaps belief in some god/s.

3. The only way to God is through Jesus Christ - It depends on which god said "believer" believes in.

4. Christianity is a religion -Yes

5. Christianity is a relationship with God - It is an assumed relationship with a god model described in one certain religious book.

6. Catholics are Christian - Yes

7. Believing in Christ is a choice - Choice? Hmm... I prefer to say expectation usually dictated by other "believers". Some people just succumb to the expectations of others.

8. The Bible is… nothing more than a NOVEL, fictitious read... much like War and Peace. Some real geographic locations may be mentioned but that is the extent of any truth to it.

9. It requires the holy spirit to understand scripture. - N/A

10. There are contradictions in the bible - Yes

11. The gospels are eye witness accounts -No and I even doubt it's heresay. It's fiction

12. The creation story is literal history - No

13. Noah’s Ark and the great flood is a true story -No

It was a local flood - No

It covered the entire world - No

14 - 26 ALL answers N/A

27. Morals: Relative to ones own understanding of love and compassion, rather than based on what some book says "is".

28. Miracles do happen these days - NO - not in the biblical sense. EG: someone can have surgery and make a quicker than expected recovery, ie referred to as "a miraculous recovery". It has ZIP to do with any god figure though, but more to do with the human surgeons and the individuals own body's capacity to heal. No god need apply for the credit.

29. Hell is… nothing more than a human conjuring to instill fear, assert assumed authority and to create conformity.

30. God created Hell -No Man did for the above reasons.

31. God created Satan -No - see above

32. Young children and babies will go to hell if they are not saved - no, there is no hell - as defined in the bible.

33. People who have never heard the gospel will go to Hell - No - there is no hell to even consider until you have heard the gospel.

34. Suffering is: something far too many people unfortunately endure in their lives.

35. The earth is: around 6-7000 years old/Millions of years old - I don't care. It does not matter.

36. God used evolution to create life - N/A as I don't believe in god/s for them to create anything, with evolution or otherwise.

37. Sin = an invent of the writers of the bible (also see answer to #29)

38. Homosexuality is a sin - No

39. Atheists are evil - No and see answers #37 and #29.

40. Salvation = a pipe dream and to the pipe-dreamer, a "get out of a fictional place's - hell" free card.41. You must be baptized to be saved: N/A

42. Ex Christians were: When christians, gullible.

43. Rank in order of importance: 1.Critical thinking,2.Knowledge, the other 3 I put under the banner of "wishful thinking" and I see no importance is "crossing ones fingers".

44. What is the purpose of the Holy Spirit = See any of my answers relating to conformity.

45. What does it take to consider yourself a "true" Christian? Arrogance and self-righteousness apparently, considering the number of xians i have seen claim to be 'true" christians, but say others are not, based on what THEY personally assume to "be". (make sense?)

Runge

Post #26

Post by Runge »

1. Do you believe in God? Yes
2. Do you blame God for what’s wrong in your life and in this world? No, all mans troubles are caused by man, once man brought sin into the world.
3. The only way to God is through Jesus Christ: Yes, Jesus died for sin so that we may be with him for eternity. Truly believing and accepting Jesus as god and our personal savor is the only way to salvation.
4. Christianity is a religion: Yes
5. Christianity is a relationship with God: Christianity is a a religion where followers do have a relationship with god.
6. Catholics are Christian: I believe you are a christian if you have the holy spirit in you. I go to a nondenominational church, where teaching are based off the word of God -- the Bible.
7. Believing in Christ is a choice Yes. No one can make that choice for you. It is a personal choice where a person has the desire to be a follower and disciple of Christ or rebuke the one true God.
8. The Bible is… The Word of God, where god Bible inspired many men to write down the word of God. Its teaching are all true and is the final authority.
9. It requires the holy spirit to understand scripture. Yes/No
10. There are contradictions in the bible. It all depends on how you interpret it. I say no.
11. The gospels are eye witness accounts Yes
12. The creation story is literal history Yes
13. Noah’s Ark and the great flood is a true story Yes
It was a local flood: No
It covered the entire world Yes
14. God is omniscient (knows everything there is to know including future events) Yes
15. God is omnipotent (all powerful) Yes
16. God is omnipresent (everywhere) Yes
17. God is loving Yes
18. God is just Yes
19. God is merciful Yes
20. God is perfect Yes
21. God answers prayer: God does answer prayers, not all and not always when we want, but God knows best. He knows what we truly want and what is best for us.
22. God protects his followers Yes
23. God requires works rather than faith No
24. God violates freewill: no
25. God always keeps his promises: Yes
26. God sins (based on the bible definition of what sin is) No
27. Morals: Come from God
28. Miracles do happen these days Yes
29. Hell is… Eternal suffering and separation from God. The Anti-Christ, the beast, Satan, and all who's name is not written in the lambs book of life will be thrown into lake of fire.
30. God created Hell Yes (he created everything)
31. God created Satan Yes (he was one of his angles)
32. Young children and babies will go to hell if they are not saved: No
33. People who have never heard the gospel will go to Hell: No, not sure tho.
34. Suffering is: Suffering will test those who suffer for their faith. Those people will be reward in heaven. There will be no suffering in heaven, it is just part of our word due to sin.
35. The earth is: around 6-7000 years old. I believe what the bible says.. a day is a day.
36. God used evolution to create life No, Evolution and creation cannot go together and god did not use evolution.
37. Sin = We humans are born into sin, it is in our human nature, that is why we need Christ because he died for our sins. Sin is evil.
38. Homosexuality is a sin Yes
39. Atheists can be good people with good morals and actions, but that will not save them. For god determine the requirement for salvation, not man.
40. Salvation = Once saved always saved.
41. You must be baptized to be saved: No
42. Ex Christians were: Never true Christians to begin with
43. Rank in order of importance: Belief, Faith,Hope (Christians have hope because we believe and have faith), Knowledge, Critical thinking
44. What is the purpose of the Holy Spirit = To transform us to be more Christ-like. The holy spirit guides us and helps us. It is god living within you!
45. What does it take to consider yourself a true Christian? Christ-Like!

FinalEnigma
Site Supporter

Re: What do you believe?

Post #27

Post by FinalEnigma »

The following answers regard only my estimate of probabilities. nothing i say is 100% because i believe in my own fallibility.

1. Do you believe in God? only symbolic gods which are not literal
2. Do you blame God for what’s wrong in your life and in this world? No
4. Christianity is a religion Yes
5. Christianity is a relationship with God No
6. Catholics are Christian Yes
7. Believing in Christ is a choice You can’t choose to believe something, you either do or you don’t believe.
8. The Bible is… A book that has more to do with man's beliefs than with God
9. It requires the holy spirit to understand scripture. No
10. There are contradictions in the bible Yes
11. The gospels are eye witness accounts no
12. The creation story is literal history No
13. Noah’s Ark and the great flood is a true story No
It was a local flood I don't know
It covered the entire world No
the next questions regard an unnamed god that may exist
14. God is omniscient (knows everything there is to know including future events) No
15. God is omnipotent (all powerful) No
16. God is omnipresent (everywhere) No
17. God is loving I don't know
18. God is just I don't know
19. God is merciful I don't know
20. God is perfect No
21. God answers prayer I doubt it
22. God protects his followers No
23. God requires works rather than faith I don't know
24. God violates freewill I don't know
25. God always keeps his promises: I don't know
26. God sins (based on the bible definition of what sin is) I don't know
27. Morals: unsure.ion
28. Miracles do happen these days I don't know
29. Hell is… baloney
36. God used evolution to create life Evolution has no intelligence behind it.
39. Atheists are evil Yes. Fear me.
42. Ex Christians were: Were Christians but deconverted for some reason
43. Rank in order of importance: Critical Thinking, Hope, knowledge.

elena
Student

Post #28

Post by elena »

1. Do you believe in God? Yes
2. Do you blame God for what’s wrong in your life and in this world? no
3. The only way to God is through Jesus Christ yes
5. Christianity is a relationship with God Yes
6. Catholics are Christian. Catholicism is Christianity - Other Christian communities are heretical or schismatic.
7. Believing in Christ is a choice Yes.
8. The Bible is… The infallible word of God
9. It requires the holy spirit to understand scripture. Yes
10. There are contradictions in the bible No
11. The gospels are eye witness accounts. Yes
12. The creation story is literal history I haven't assented absolutely to "No" yet, but I'm leaning.
13. Noah’s Ark and the great flood is a true story Yes
It was a local flood No
It covered the entire world Yes
14. God is omniscient (knows everything there is to know including future events) Yes
15. God is omnipotent (all powerful) Yes
16. God is omnipresent (everywhere) Yes
17. God is loving He is Love
18. God is just Yes
19. God is merciful Yes
20. God is perfect Yes
21. God answers prayer Yes, but not always how we think he will.
22. God protects his followers Yes
23. God requires works rather than faith No!
24. God violates freewill no
25. God always keeps his promises: Yes
26. God sins (based on the bible definition of what sin is) No
27. Morals: Come from God
28. Miracles do happen these days Yes
29. Hell is…Eternal separation from God
30. God created Hell ummm...I'm going to say no
31. God created Satan Yes - as an angel of light
32. Young children and babies will go to hell if they are not saved We don't know. We trust in God's mercy.
33. People who have never heard the gospel will go to Hell Not nessarily
34. Suffering is: Sharing in Christ's cross
35. The earth is: undecided
36. God used evolution to create life. I'm not sure
37. Sin = a morally bad act
38. Homosexuality is a sin No. Homosexual acts are
39. Atheists are evil No
40. Salvation = Requires actions to maintain
41. You must be baptized to be saved: Yes. It is the ordinary means of salvation.
42. Ex Christians were: Some were, some probably were not.
43. Rank in order of importance: Faith, Knowledge, Critical thinking, Belief, Hope
Faith, belief (aren't faith and belief the same thing?), Hope, Knowledge, critical thinking
44. What is the purpose of the Holy Spirit = the Holy Spirit is the Love between God and God which in itself is Love. He fully expresses Godhood as Love
45. What does it take to consider yourself a true Christian? (Try to keep your answer as brief as possible) Imitate Christ
There never was anything so perilous or exciting as orthodoxy. It was sanity and to be sane is more dramatic than to be mad ~ G.K. Chesterton
Does not the decision for right behavior presuppose a right thinking, does it not thereby itself refer to the necessity of a search for an orthodoxy? ~ Pope Benedict XVI

ConfinedIX
Student

Post #29

Post by ConfinedIX »

1. Do you believe in God? No.

2. Do you blame God for what’s wrong in your life and in this world? No, because I do not believe in God. I blame Bush and Religion.

3. The only way to God is through Jesus Christ: Not relevant to me.

4. Christianity is a religion: Yes.

5. Christianity is a relationship with God: Not a clue; not religious.

6. Catholics are Christian: Yes.

7. Believing in Christ is a choice: If religious people want to believe in it, be my guest.

8. The Bible is… A tool used for brainwashing.

9. It requires the holy spirit to understand scripture? Don't believe in the holy spirit or any spirits.

10. There are contradictions in the bible: Yes.

11. The gospels are eye witness accounts: Eye witness accounts are trumpery due to that it cannot be verified other than in the writings.

12. The creation story is literal history: No.

13. Noah’s Ark and the great flood is a true story: Most likely a mythical tale, so no.
It was a local flood: No, for reason above.
It covered the entire world: No, for reason above.

14-26: Not answerable.

27. Morals: Come from the persons surroundings.

28. Miracles do happen these days: No such thing as miracles, only coincidence.

29. Hell is… A place humans made up to scare people into being good.

30. God created Hell: See above.

31. God created Satan: See 29; same principal.

32. Young children and babies will go to hell if they are not saved: Don't believe in Hell, so no.

33. People who have never heard the gospel will go to Hell: See above.

34. Suffering is: part of mankind.

35. The earth is: Over 4 billion years old.

36. God used evolution to create life: Don't believe in God, so no.

37. Sin = A word that was made up.

38. Homosexuality is a sin: No.

39. Atheists are evil: Darn straight, we are. Seriously, no we aren't.

40. Salvation = A myth.

41. You must be baptized to be saved: Don't believe in Hell, Heaven or any of that stuff.

42. Ex Christians were: Were Christians but deconverted for some reason.

43. Rank in order of importance: Knowledge, Critical thinking, Belief; Hope and Faith are irrelevant.

44. What is the purpose of the Holy Spirit = Not religious, thus I am unable to answer this.

45. What does it take to consider yourself a true Christian? People with closed minds who can't accept logical evidence.
Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery. - Robert G. Ingersoll 1833-1899

Scotracer
Guru

Re: What do you believe?

Post #30

Post by Scotracer »

1. Do you believe in God? No...but one might exist
2. Do you blame God for what’s wrong in your life and in this world? How can I blame something I don’t believe in?
3. The only way to God is through Jesus Christ N/A
5. Christianity is a relationship with God Yes
6. Catholics are Christian Yes
7. Believing in Christ is a choice You can’t choose to believe something, you either do or you don’t believe.
8. The Bible is… Man’s beliefs about God/A book written to control others
9. It requires the holy spirit to understand scripture. No
10. There are contradictions in the bible Yes
11. The gospels are eye witness accounts It’s all heresay
12. The creation story is literal history They might claim it to be, but it's wrong nonetheless
13. Noah’s Ark and the great flood is a true story No
It was a local flood N/A
It covered the entire world N/A
14. God is omniscient (knows everything there is to know including future events) N/A
15. God is omnipotent (all powerful) N/A
16. God is omnipresent (everywhere) N/A
17. God is loving N/A
18. God is just N/A
19. God is merciful N/A
20. God is perfect N/A
21. God answers prayer No
22. God protects his followers No
23. God requires works rather than faith By the bible - faith
24. God violates freewill N/A
25. God always keeps his promises: Definitely no
26. God sins (based on the bible definition of what sin is) Yes
27. Morals: They are a social construct and have an evolutionary explanation
28. Miracles do happen these days No, the supernatural has never been shown to happen
29. Hell is… other Robots
30. God created Hell N/A
31. God created Satan N/A
32. Young children and babies will go to hell if they are not saved N/A
33. People who have never heard the gospel will go to Hell No
34. Suffering is: Bad luck
35. The earth is: A few billions of years old
36. God used evolution to create life A god might have - it's a very powerful thing
37. Sin = Archaic moral values
38. Homosexuality is a sin No
39. Atheists are evil Well, I am
40. Salvation = What a stupid concept
41. You must be baptized to be saved: Surely everyone bathes now and again
42. Ex Christians were: Were Christians but deconverted for some reason
43. Rank in order of importance: Knowledge = Critical Thinking > Hope >> Faith
44. What is the purpose of the Holy Spirit = Another construct to try and make Christianity seem more reasonable but ends up making it even more stupid
45. What does it take to consider yourself a true Christian? Ask members from the 34,000 denominations.
Why Evolution is True
Universe from nothing

Claims made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
- Christopher Hitchens