Hinduism

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Hinduism

Post #1

Post by Nilloc James »

Could someone explain Hinduism to me. I am completely new to the topic.

And please no, "there is no evidence" from atheists, or "It is not the true faith" from Christains or any other religion. Just what they beleive.

Nameless

Post #2

Post by Nameless »

Considering the diversity and number of sects, and interpretations, you might give it the respect of not imagining that someone can toss a couple of lines on a page and tell you anything of value. There are thousands of books and texts on the subject. If you are 'really' interested in knowing Hinduism, I'd recomment reading all the scriptures, studying interpretations, and practicing the practices yourself. From thence you might find knowledge/understanding'; if you 'really' want to know...

Catharsis

Post #3

Post by Catharsis »

In the most general terms, all religions and religious-philosophical systems may be divided into two groups. The first includes those teachings which recognize God as a Personal Being, One all-perfect and transcendent, the Maker of all things visible and invisible. The second group believes in an impersonal Principle, which some call the Absolute, others the eternal Principle of the world, still others the cosmic Force or some other such term. Christianity, Judaism and Islam belong to the first group, which may be called God-centered, since faith in a personal God is the foundation for all other religious truths. The Eastern religions of the Hindu or occult type belong to the second group; in contrast to the first, these systems can be called man-centered.

A reader not well-versed in theological questions might think that the question of a personal or an impersonal God is a purely abstract philosophical matter, since His essence is unknowable. The most important thing is to be a good and honest person; this is taught by all religions, irrespective of their ideology. However, the question of personality and self-awareness in God is not at all an abstract one, but rather defines the entire theoretical and practical content of a particular religion or system.

All religions and philosophical systems attempt to answer the chief questions of existence. The differences in their answers to these questions depend largely on their presuppositions and points of departure. The first question is whether God is personal or impersonal; in other words, does He possess reason, self-awareness and will, or is He only some kind of power or energy. This basic distinction, as we shall see, creates an ideological gulf between the God-centered and man-centered systems and leads to diametrical opposites in their conclusions about morality.

Hindu and occult religions criticize Christianity for being dogmatic. They consider themselves superior, in that they do not prescribe a definite system of dogmas; they do not shackle freedom of thought, but offer man the liberty to find out for himself the mysteries of existence. But, all the Eastern religions are based on one cardinal dogma: faith in the existence of an impersonal principle which underlies all things. All the religious and philosophical ideas of these religions flow quite logically from this main presupposition. Indeed, if there is no personal God, then there is no higher Reason, no all-directing Will, no incontrovertible Authority, no just Judge. Everything happens "on its own" by the action of blind cosmic forces. All religious truths and moral principles which man has arrived at are conditioned by his capacity to know and the depth of his intellect; they are, therefore, relative, and subject to revision. This idea is the origin of all the variety, contradictions and disorder of the Hindu and occult teachings.

msmcneal
Scholar

Post #4

Post by msmcneal »

Hinduism is sort of a hard religion to explain. It is the most diversified religion on the planet. It's also the oldest. Hinduism is so much concerned about specific beliefs and doctrines as about practices. Basically, Hinduism believes in thousands of gods and goddesses, but a particular family or community will probably only worship a few. The head gods are Brahma, Shiva, and Vishnu. Kali is also a major god. Some Hindus are pantheistic, some are polytheistic, and some are monotheistic, or, more appropriately, henotheistic. They religion is based on a variety of texts, including the Vedas, which are divided into four parts, and the Bhagavad Gita. They believe that life is circular, meaning they believe in birth, death, and rebirth. This is called samsara. They believe that a person who gets rid of all their karma will achieve union with the divine. This is attained by following specific rituals, and yoga. Now, yoga originates with Hinduism, and the exercise type we see in the west is a part of it, but there are many different forms of yoga, and most of them are specific meditation techniques. There's Raja yoga, Kundalini yoga, and others. In fact, the term kundalini is what they call the life force. They believe in energy centers on the etheric body, called chakras, which are for different functions. There are seven main chakras, located along the spine. They believe in the cultivation of pranja, or wisdom. Accupuncter and accupressure originates in Hinduism as well. They believe that if a person is sick, or facing some sort of mental instability, it's due to blockage around a chakra of the life force energy. Accupuncter and accurpressure are meant to relieve the blockage. The have a caste system, and one is generally born into a specific caste, and it cannot be changed. They also believe in four stages of life; birth, youth, adulthood, and old age, when a person is supposed to separate themselves from society and practice meditative yoga, in order to prepare for the next life. That's all I can remember off the top of my head for now. Hopefully that answers some of your questions though.
Al-Baqarah 256 (Yusuf Ali translation) "Truth stands out clear from error"

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by bernee51 »

msmcneal wrote:Hinduism is sort of a hard religion to explain. It is the most diversified religion on the planet. It's also the oldest. Hinduism is so much concerned about specific beliefs and doctrines as about practices. Basically, Hinduism believes in thousands of gods and goddesses, but a particular family or community will probably only worship a few. The head gods are Brahma, Shiva, and Vishnu. Kali is also a major god. Some Hindus are pantheistic, some are polytheistic, and some are monotheistic, or, more appropriately, henotheistic.
Close. Vedantic Hinduism hold that the Brahman, the universal consciousness is all that really exists. The 'gods' you describe are 'aspects' of the divine. Brahma is the creator (god the father), Vishnu is the sustainer (god the son) and Shiva destroyer (the holy ghost). They are the sum of existence - the knower, the known and the act of knowing.
msmcneal wrote: They religion is based on a variety of texts, including the Vedas, which are divided into four parts, and the Bhagavad Gita. They believe that life is circular, meaning they believe in birth, death, and rebirth. This is called samsara. They believe that a person who gets rid of all their karma will achieve union with the divine. This is attained by following specific rituals, and yoga.
Yoga is not a prerequisite for being a hindu. Yoga can however lead to 'liberation'.
msmcneal wrote: Now, yoga originates with Hinduism,...
Some see it being the other way round.
msmcneal wrote: and the exercise type we see in the west is a part of it, but there are many different forms of yoga, and most of them are specific meditation techniques. There's Raja yoga, Kundalini yoga, and others.
Actually 'meditation' per se is an aspect of raja yoga which includes the eight limbs (astanga) of which meditation (dhyana) is one. Then there is bhakti yoga (devotion). karma yoga (action) and jnana yoga (knowledge). These have nothing to do with the hindu religion.

msmcneal wrote: In fact, the term kundalini is what they call the life force.
kundalini is 'potential energy'. The term 'life force' could more appropriately be applied to prana
msmcneal wrote: There are seven main chakras, located along the spine. They believe in the cultivation of pranja, or wisdom.
This is a totally incorrect statement. Prana is 'energy', jnana is wisdom.
msmcneal wrote:
Accupuncter and accupressure originates in Hinduism as well.
That is a distinct possibility.
msmcneal wrote: That's all I can remember off the top of my head for now. Hopefully that answers some of your questions though.
Google would be safer.

O:)
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

msmcneal
Scholar

Post #6

Post by msmcneal »

@ bernee51: Thanks for the corrections. When I posted that, I hadn't slept in two days. I went back through later and read it again, and wondered myself where I got some of that. Admittedly, Hinduism is one of the major religions that I have spent the least amount of time on. But that was bad, even for me.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by bernee51 »

msmcneal wrote:@ bernee51: Thanks for the corrections. When I posted that, I hadn't slept in two days. I went back through later and read it again, and wondered myself where I got some of that. Admittedly, Hinduism is one of the major religions that I have spent the least amount of time on. But that was bad, even for me.
S'OK.

I have spent the last seven years somewhat immersed in yoga, Vedanta and, as an aside, hinduism. I did not see my words as corrections but clarifications. While hinduism (Vedantic) and yoga are definitely intertwined they are not synonymous. Many Hindus treat their beliefs in much the same way as any other believer - praying for intercession, making offerings others treat it more a a philosophy to guide life's journey.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

msmcneal
Scholar

Post #8

Post by msmcneal »

bernee51 wrote:S'OK.

I have spent the last seven years somewhat immersed in yoga, Vedanta and, as an aside, hinduism. I did not see my words as corrections but clarifications. While hinduism (Vedantic) and yoga are definitely intertwined they are not synonymous. Many Hindus treat their beliefs in much the same way as any other believer - praying for intercession, making offerings others treat it more a a philosophy to guide life's journey.
No worries. I know how you feel, too. I feel the same way about Islam, and oftentimes find myself defending it, even though I'm agnostic, and have no real plans on joining any religion. But, out of all the religions I've studied, I've found that Islam is the one I have the most in common with, and the one I probably respect above all others (although Buddhism is a real close second). So that's the one I find nowadays that I study the most. I'd do the same if I were in you're postion with Islam that you've done with Hinduism. It's all good.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by bernee51 »

msmcneal wrote:
bernee51 wrote:S'OK.

No worries. I know how you feel, too. I feel the same way about Islam, and oftentimes find myself defending it, even though I'm agnostic, and have no real plans on joining any religion. But, out of all the religions I've studied, I've found that Islam is the one I have the most in common with, and the one I probably respect above all others (although Buddhism is a real close second). So that's the one I find nowadays that I study the most. I'd do the same if I were in you're postion with Islam that you've done with Hinduism. It's all good.
The religion I respect the most - if indeed it is a religion - is Buddhism.

I have little or no respect at all for monotheisms which seek to claim sole authenticity and use conversion or violence (the same thing IMO) to self promote.

My personal standpoint - if I was called upon to provide a 'label' would be one of Theraveda buddhism with strong advaita vedanta influences.

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Jrosemary
Sage

Post #10

Post by Jrosemary »

An old topic, I know, but here goes:
Catharsis wrote:In the most general terms, all religions and religious-philosophical systems may be divided into two groups. The first includes those teachings which recognize God as a Personal Being, One all-perfect and transcendent, the Maker of all things visible and invisible. The second group believes in an impersonal Principle, which some call the Absolute, others the eternal Principle of the world, still others the cosmic Force or some other such term. Christianity, Judaism and Islam belong to the first group, which may be called God-centered, since faith in a personal God is the foundation for all other religious truths. The Eastern religions of the Hindu or occult type belong to the second group; in contrast to the first, these systems can be called man-centered.
I think this is a misrepresentation of Judaism and Hinduism.

Judaism does have a concept of God as utterly transcendent, impersonal and beyond our ken--what we call Ein Sof. On the other hand we also view God as quite personal. Both concepts of God exist in Judaism.

Hinduism likewise has both an utterly transcendent, impersonal concept of God (Brahman) and an extremely personal concept wherin this transcendent God can be personified by any one of numerous deities: Vishnu, Shiva, Durga, etc.

For this reason, perhaps, neither Hinduism or Judaism fits into neat categories. (Actually, I don't know of any religion that does.)