To Creationists: What is evolution?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Neatras
Guru

To Creationists: What is evolution?

Post #1

Post by Neatras »

Title says it all. Please, describe to me the theory of evolution. Please include some technical language, and do not use warped analogies. Additionally, do not make claims about it that the theory does not make, and do not put words in scientists' mouths.

I want you to describe it to me as if I did not know what the theory already was; feel free to describe it, however, as if I understood biology, genetics, and chemistry, so you don't have to avoid topics on my account.

Pipiripi
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by Pipiripi »

Evolution is a history who don't have a begining and neither an End.

Wootah
Savant

Re: To Creationists: What is evolution?

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 1 by Neatras]

The process of random mutation being worked on by natural selection over time to create new species.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

The Barbarian
Sage

Re: To Creationists: What is evolution?

Post #4

Post by The Barbarian »

Wootah wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:56 pm [Replying to post 1 by Neatras]

The process of random mutation being worked on by natural selection over time to create new species.
Pretty good. Strictly speaking, that is macroevolution. Microevolution, the change in allele frequencies within a species, is also evolution. There really is no effective dividing line between the two; at some point, allele frequencies of a particular subpopulation change sufficiently to make it a new species. At that point, microevolution becomes macroevolution.