Question for Bible readers .

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Which translation of the Bible do you read?

The Authorized Version, or King James Version (1611)
13%
American Standard Version (1901)
No votes
English Revised Version (1885)
No votes
Revised Standard Version (1952)
No votes
New American Standard Bible (1960 with subsequent revisions)
13%
13%
New International Version (1978)
17%
New King James Version (1982)
9%
Contemporary English Version (1995)
No votes
English Standard Version (2001)
9%
Other (Please specify)
26%
New Living Translation
No votes

Total votes: 23

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Question for Bible readers .

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

Which translation do you prefer? More importantly, why do you favour that version?
Last edited by McCulloch on Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

harvey1
Prodigy

Post #11

Post by harvey1 »

Vladd44 wrote:Also, If you use FireFox, there is an extension toolbar for it that works really well with the BibleGateway site. Allows for Searches and Browsing passages easily. http://www.bibletoolbar.net/
Thanks, this is news to me.

joer
Guru

Post #12

Post by joer »

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/_INDEX.HTM

I read from all of the bibles below several in their entirety. The one I most enjoy personally is a July 27, 1970 copy of the
New American Standard Bible - St. Joseph Edition

I enjoy the flow of the wording as it's read. The ease of understanding. I like the literary and historical analysis before each section or book. I like all of the additional maps, plates, charts, historical time lines, definition of terms, the amount of footnotes, translation preferences and indices to mention a few of the features I enjoy. I like some of the wording better than the newer translations.

Spanish Bibles Castillian and Latin Americanversions.
American Standard Version
Good News Bible
Jeruselem Bible
Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition.
King James Version
New American Standard Bible
New International Version
New King James Version
The Authorized Version, or King James Version (1611)

American Standard Version (1901)
New International Version (1978)
New King James Version (1982)
Book of Momon
Jehovah Witnesses Bible and Santa Escrituras in Spanish.
Urantia Book English and Spanish. Several editions.

Biker

Which Bible

Post #13

Post by Biker »

My everyday study Bible is NASB Updated, because it is so literal in translation.
I have 22 versions, that I read, from.
The NLT is my favorite to just read.
The best thing about the KJV is the huge number of types of Bibles that are available in that translation, and the best pieces of leather available to bind it in, and the "flowery" language is a nice switch.
NIV is doing a good job coming out with new study Bibles.
I also like the Amplified because of the addition of various shades of meaning in the Greek and Hebrew added right into the text, this is an overlooked version.

Biker

k-nug
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by k-nug »

Vladd44 wrote:Also,

If you use FireFox, there is an extension toolbar for it that works really well with the BibleGateway site. Allows for Searches and Browsing passages easily.

http://www.bibletoolbar.net/
Thanks, that will come in handy.
My version of Genesis.
At first there was symmetry. Then something broke.

Vladd44
Sage

Post #15

Post by Vladd44 »

Since you mentioned firefox extensions ..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Add Bookmark Here 0.5.8 Convenient way to add bookmarks by having an add bookmarks here option in each folder.

Adsense Notifier 0.9.3 Displays your adsense earnings on the statusbar.

Adsense Preview 1.0.1 Preview the Google ads that may show on any web page, useful when buying existing websites.

Allow Right-Click 0.4 Defeats web sites' right-click prevention scripts.

Always Remember Password 0.6 Makes the browser ignore web site requests to not remember passwords.

BBCodeXtra 0.2.5.6 Adds BBCode/HTML/XHTML commands to the context menu, makes forum posts easy and simple to quote, make selectable links etc.

BugMeNot 1.3 Bypass compulsory web registration with the context menu via www.bugmenot.com.

Compact Menu 1.7.4.5 Duplicates the menubar on the toolbar as a menu of menus, takes up much less space.

CustomizeGoogle 0.60 Enhance Google search results and remove ads and spam, also adds option to search term in yahoo, msn etc from the google result page.

Download Manager Tweak 0.7.2 A modification of the Firefox download manager that changes its appearance and allows it to be opened in a separate window, a new tab, or the sidebar.

Download Sort 2.5.7 Automatically save downloads to different directories.

Extension List Dumper 1.8.1 Dumps a list of the installed extensions (what I used to make this list).

FEBE 5.0 Backup your Firefox data, extensions, bookmarks etc, useful for migration to new computerr or os.

FireFTP 0.97 FTP Client for Mozilla Firefox, not the best ftp client, but having it in the browser is simple to say the least.

Get File 1.2.2 Get a file from an URL

Menu Editor 1.2.3.3 Customize application menus, remove those items you never use, no need to have to see or browse past them again.

Ook 0.3.3.3 Adds your bookmarks to the context menu, A personal favorite. I hate having to go to the top just to go to a bookmark, just right click and bookmars are there on context menu.

Organize Status Bar 0.5.2 Organize your status bar icons.

Paste and Go 2 0.8 Paste Text and Load/Search It Immediately

Remember Mismatched Domains 1.4.3 Adds a 'don't ask me again' option to the Domain Name Mismatch Security Error window.

Scrollbar Anywhere 0.9.1 This extension allows you to scroll a page as if a scrollbar is under your mouse. Just right click the page (and hold) then scroll up/down etc.

Searchbar Autosizer 1.3.7 Expand the searchbox as you type

SearchStatus 1.20 Display the Google PageRank and Alexa ranking (of the page your viewing) with search-related tools.

Select Address Bar 1.01 Selects the Address Bar on Click

ShowIP 0.8.05 Show the IP address of the current page in the status bar. It also allows querying custom services by IP (right mouse button) and Hostname (left mouse button), like whois, netcraft. Additionally you can copy the IP address to the clipboard. This extension was formerly known as ipv6ident.

Super DragAndGo 0.2.6.1 Drag a link or anything like a uri (e.g. "abc.com" ), and throw it to anywhere blank on the webpage to open the it in a new tab. THE one i cannot do without. dragging regular text has it open into a google search for those word(s).

Tab Mix Plus 0.3.6 Tab browsing with an added boost. Choose order of closing, opening, foreground or background (allowing you to choose which depending on where tab came from)

WellRounded 2.01 Provides rounded URL and search bars my one extension solely for looks.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com

john_anthony_gonzalez
Student

Re: Question for Bible readers .

Post #16

Post by john_anthony_gonzalez »

McCulloch wrote:Which translation do you prefer? More importantly, why do you favour that version?
I use the Nelson Study Bible in the NKJV, its alot easier to read and it has an excellent explanation about each book and when it was written. It also has study notes that are theologically correct, Ive met the head editor of the study bible he has his masters in theology and biblical history, and their isn't just one editor who writes study notes their are 5

arayhay
Sage

Re: Question for Bible readers .

Post #17

Post by arayhay »

McCulloch wrote:Which translation do you prefer? More importantly, why do you favour that version?

the CJB complete Jewish Bible by David Stern

seventil
Scholar

Post #18

Post by seventil »

Online, I prefer "The Message" just because some of the stuff it says is hilarious. ;)

For example:

Psalm 7:14
Look at that guy! He had sex with sin, he's pregnant with evil. Oh, look! He's having the baby—a Lie-Baby!

If that's not awesome, I don't know what is!
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath
already committed breakfast with it in his heart" -- C.S. Lewis

cnorman18

--

Post #19

Post by cnorman18 »

I read the JTS translation of the Tanakh (the OT, the Jewish Bible) in its Jewish Study Bible translation, along with an Orthodox Chumash with commentary, and a couple of other commentaries as well. The actual translation is pretty much the same as in Christian Bibles, but the order of the books and the numbering of the verses is sometimes different.

When reading the NT, I prefer the NIV, but I still have a certain fondness for the old Phillips translation. For majestic language, you still can't beat the KJV.

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: --

Post #20

Post by Goat »

cnorman18 wrote:I read the JTS translation of the Tanakh (the OT, the Jewish Bible) in its Jewish Study Bible translation, along with an Orthodox Chumash with commentary, and a couple of other commentaries as well. The actual translation is pretty much the same as in Christian Bibles, but the order of the books and the numbering of the verses is sometimes different.

When reading the NT, I prefer the NIV, but I still have a certain fondness for the old Phillips translation. For majestic language, you still can't beat the KJV.
There are some translation differences, some which are used by the missionaries to try to convert Jews. For example, 'Like a lion' is translated as 'pierced' and things like that.

The good old 'Lucifer' translation is Isaiah is way out of context too.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella