To Christians - What if?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

catalyst
Site Supporter

To Christians - What if?

Post #1

Post by catalyst »

What if your Bible Jesus has already "returned" prior to now?

What if the writings of Matthew in the below example, attributed to bible jesus were LITERALLY right? Other things are taken literally, so I don't understand why these particular verses should be any different.

(NIV Matthew 10:23) When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. I tell you the truth, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

(NIV Matthew 16:27-28) For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done. [28] I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.�

(NIV Matthew 24:34) I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

Would that mean you don't have a shot at being "up there", as it is already all said and done?

IF the above were LITERAL comments, then would that mean that here and now is "hell", and you are here now regardless of what you do or don't believe and your "satan" is just playing with your minds? :-k

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #2

Post by OnceConvinced »

Preterists already believe he did return in the first century and that all prophesies have been fulfilled, but still believe the bible to be the word of God, and still worship and follow him:

Preterism

"Futurist" Christians often believe they are heretics, but in the time I spent getting to know many preterists on line I can see that they are genuine believers and many of them seem to exhibit "the fruits of the Holy spirit".

I once belonged to a message board dedicated to preterism and although I never adopted that stance myself, it opened my eyes to the fact that the bible can be used to support almost anything you want and that there are good arguments on either side of the camp for almost any doctrine.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

puddleglum
Sage

Re: To Christians - What if?

Post #3

Post by puddleglum »

catalyst wrote:What if your Bible Jesus has already "returned" prior to now?

What if the writings of Matthew in the below example, attributed to bible jesus were LITERALLY right? Other things are taken literally, so I don't understand why these particular verses should be any different.

(NIV Matthew 10:23) When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. I tell you the truth, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
Apparently Jesus was giving general instructions which apply to all of those who preach the gospel and not just to this particular assignment for the twelve apostles since he includes information about persecution which did not occur until later.
(NIV Matthew 16:27-28) For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done. [28] I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.�
One of those standing there was John, who wrote the book of Revelation. He saw that coming of the kingdom in visions given to him by God even tho the actual event is still in the future.
(NIV Matthew 24:34) I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.
"So also, when you see all these thing, you know that he is near, at the very gates. Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place."Matt.24:23,24 ESV
The generation that will not pass away is the one which sees the predictions Jesus has just made being fulfilled, not the one he was speaking to. You should interpret the Bible literally, but you should also interpret in context.

Would that mean you don't have a shot at being "up there", as it is already all said and done?

IF the above were LITERAL comments, then would that mean that here and now is "hell", and you are here now regardless of what you do or don't believe and your "satan" is just playing with your minds? :-k
Satan is playing with your mind to keep you from believing the gospel and receiving forgiveness.
"The god of this world has blinded the eyes of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ."
2 Corinthians 4:4, ESV
One of the reasons Jesus came was to give sight to the blind. While he was on earth he healed those who were physically blind. Today he is willing the give sight to those who are spiritually blind if the will turn to him for help.

drhoecker
Under Probation

Re: To Christians - What if?

Post #4

Post by drhoecker »

catalyst wrote:What if your Bible Jesus has already "returned" prior to now?

Jesus is the spirit of prophesy.he is most definatly come and will be returned as soon as the time is set.I come revealing all that john saw and this means with proof of course,that the book was not finished yet.I am sent to reveal the final events.I come to exclaim all true believers to remove yourselves from satans synagouges.the lord is no longer in the churches.I can reveal who knows the true lord.my face is shown on earth as proof i am a witness to jesus.google maps.com /satellite view,heart mt Wyoming.see the slain lamb and the angel.the altar between the two lambs is the ten commandments.NOW ,THE LAMBS EYE IS A BUST OF MYSELF.TO PROVE,my face is on youtube/drhoecker.I as well show pictures of my face on a mt side in my home town as well.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Missing your own messiah would not be unique in history.

I believe Jesus has indeed already returned a fact missed by the majority of those he returned for.

Again.

drhoecker
Under Probation

what if?

Post #6

Post by drhoecker »

what if i told you i found the contents of the arc of the covenant? the ten commandments?.the corner piece is held by the roman catholic church in the abyss under the church.i alone know where the tablets moses himself made to replace the ones he destroyed.the very people moses gave them to this day still posses them,the lost tribe,the true jews.you all scorned and laughed at me.who are you?