Just a useless question for the conservitive catholics

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Just a useless question for the conservitive catholics

Post #1

Post by scottlittlefield17 »

I've been reading the posts as its been a while since I've been on and I have noticed a large influx of conservative Catholics. I have found it quite interesting that it seems as though their posts are far longer than the standard user. I was wondering if there was a reason why that seems to be the case.

WinePusher

Re: Just a useless question for the conservitive catholics

Post #2

Post by WinePusher »

scottlittlefield17 wrote:I've been reading the posts as its been a while since I've been on and I have noticed a large influx of conservative Catholics. I have found it quite interesting that it seems as though their posts are far longer than the standard user. I was wondering if there was a reason why that seems to be the case.
You are asking why our posts are so long? Perhaps its because we have a lot of stuff on our mind that we want to talk about......

Actually, I don't think there are many "conservative catholics" on here. There are quite a few christians, but I have yet to come across another catholic. I believe East of Eden is the only other "true" conservative on here besides myself.

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Post #3

What about Joshua?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Goat »

scottlittlefield17 wrote:What about Joshua?
He came, he preached, but as far as I can see, he had very little actual interaction besides a series of 'preach posts', then he disappeared.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Abraxas
Guru

Post #5

Post by Abraxas »

As I recall his posts were longer because he was copying and pasting them from a Catholic apologetics website, right up until someone found the site, found it full of antisemitic material, and shortly after, he left.

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Post #6

Abraxas wrote:
As I recall his posts were longer because he was copying and pasting them from a Catholic apologetics website, right up until someone found the site, found it full of antisemitic material, and shortly after, he left.
Lol that is funny!
“Life is really simple as far as I’m concerned. There is no luck, you work hard and study things intently. If you do that for long and hard enough you’re successful.�
"The more well versed in a skill that someone is the luckier they seem to be."

Cedar Tree
Student

Post #7

Post by Cedar Tree »

Abraxas wrote:
I was quite surprised you said a Catholic apologetics website was found "full of antisemitic material." The Catholic Church is NOT anti-Semitic. What was the site?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Goat »

Cedar Tree wrote:
Abraxas wrote:
I was quite surprised you said a Catholic apologetics website was found "full of antisemitic material." The Catholic Church is NOT anti-Semitic. What was the site?
While the Catholic Church has become a lot more flexible and a lot less anti-semetic since WW2, that specific web site is run by some reactionary Roman Catholics.

I hardly think they represent the RCC.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Cedar Tree
Student

Post #9

Post by Cedar Tree »

goat wrote:
Cedar Tree wrote:
Abraxas wrote:
While the Catholic Church has become a lot more flexible and a lot less anti-semetic since WW2, that specific web site is run by some reactionary Roman Catholics.

You say the Catholic Church has become "a lot less anti-semetic." I would say it is NOT AT ALL anti-semitic, nor has it ever been. While I'm sure that there have been "reactionary Roman Catholics," it’s important to note that the Church doesn’t endorse everything its members do.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Goat »

Cedar Tree wrote:
goat wrote:
Cedar Tree wrote:
Abraxas wrote:

You say the Catholic Church has become "a lot less anti-semetic." I would say it is NOT AT ALL anti-semitic, nor has it ever been. While I'm sure that there have been "reactionary Roman Catholics," it’s important to note that the Church doesn’t endorse everything its members do.
Now, that is simply not true. Have you ever heard of the Spanish inquisition?? There have been a huge number of very anti-Semitic popes too.

How about

Synod of Narbonne (1050)_prohibited Christians from living in Jewish homes.
Synod of Gerona (1078)_required Jews to pay taxes to support the Church.
Third Lateran Council (1179)_prohibited certain medical care to be provided by Christians to Jews.
Fourth Lateran Council (1215)_required Jews to wear special clothing to distinguish them from Christians.
Council of Basel (1431-1443)_forbade Jews to attend universities, them from acting as agents in the conclusion of contracts between Christians, and required that they attend church sermons.

It wasn't until 1964 that there was significant acknowledgment by the RCC of past Anti-Semitic attitudes.. but the place where the attitudes finally started changing was right after WW2, when the shock of the holocaust..

Those attitudes started changing only after Pope Pius XII was no longer Pope.

Steven Novella