Bible stories

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

atruthseeker
Student

Bible stories

Post #1

Post by atruthseeker »

Do most Christians take the stories of the Bible literally? I'm talking about Noah's Ark, the Arc of the Covenant, parting of the Red Sea, etc.? I'm not talking about anything directly connected to Jesus because I'm assuming that you must believe in him to be a Christian.

I'm not looking for a debate, but rather just a general consensus among Christians. I have several Christian family members who don't take any of those stories literally, but they do believe in Jesus and God. I'm curious to know how the average Christian feels about these stories.

Please excuse my ignorance, but the story about the guy living inside a whale is another one that falls into the category.

I am not trying to be sarcastic or funny here, just curious.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

Since you are not being overwhelmed with Christian responses, I’ll contribute two cents from observation of a lifetime in real life and a few years debating in these forums.

Biblicist / Literalist / Fundamentalist Christians regard the bible as true and inerrant or infallible “word of god�. They insist that writers were “inspired by god�, and some insist that writers knew Jesus or were “apostles�. They tend to be the most adamant and vocal “representatives of god� in forums, but do not typically last very long in fair and equitable debate.

In these threads the BLF Christians (above) attempt to defend even the most outrageous bible stories as being literally true. Donkeys and snakes talk, people walk on water, seas part and storms abate on command, water magically turns into wine, etc.

Middle of the road Christians seem to think that some of those stories are fables rather than literal truth. They acknowledge that parables are fiction (but have difficulty saying how to tell fiction from truth in the bible). However, most still tend to insist that the “resurrection� was literally true and that Jesus was divine.

Liberal / Modern / Post Modern Christians do not attempt to defend any of the bible’s supernatural tales as literal truth – perhaps even the “resurrection�.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Re: Bible stories

Post #3

Post by scottlittlefield17 »

atruthseeker wrote:Do most Christians take the stories of the Bible literally? I'm talking about Noah's Ark, the Arc of the Covenant, parting of the Red Sea, etc.? I'm not talking about anything directly connected to Jesus because I'm assuming that you must believe in him to be a Christian.

I'm not looking for a debate, but rather just a general consensus among Christians. I have several Christian family members who don't take any of those stories literally, but they do believe in Jesus and God. I'm curious to know how the average Christian feels about these stories.

Please excuse my ignorance, but the story about the guy living inside a whale is another one that falls into the category.

In a word, yes because if a I am to except any of the Bible I must accept he whole thing. Otherwise whose to say what to accept and what not to. That you will find pretty much across the board with anyone who would identify themselves as a being a fundamental or having strong fundamental influences.
“Life is really simple as far as I’m concerned. There is no luck, you work hard and study things intently. If you do that for long and hard enough you’re successful.�
"The more well versed in a skill that someone is the luckier they seem to be."

BrooksTheChristian

Post #4

Post by BrooksTheChristian »

My Background:

Two year ago, I considered myself a Christian. I prayed to God, I asked Jesus for forgiveness, but I cannot remember if I actually meant it. I felt like I was talking to the bed, or the air, or the mirror. I was praying, nonetheless.

One year ago, my neighbors were saved. They become extremely involved in their church, the husband started to street preach. He has traveled to Ireland, local jails, and down to Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and other cities, just to spread the Word of God. My family, we don't ever go to church. It is a much more personal thing for us. We never pray together, we don't give grace before eating, my parents cuss all the time when I come over. I started to notice how changed they have become.

The couple used to drink, party, cuss, smoke, be racist, and all sorts of sinful stuff. But now, they don't. They simply gave up. Over night. I thought, 'Wow. They really believe. They have read the Bible over and over. They tell me about it all the time.'

Almost two weeks ago, I started going over to their house for a little, in-home Bible study. Now, I have the utmost urge to go buy a study Bible, and get to reading. I know enough about the Bible from Camp, and Bible Summer School, and just reading and listening. I know some of the sins, I know what is and isn't good (thanks to the devil tricking Eve), and I know what I need to repent and ask for forgiveness. I am a firm believer now, and nothing can change me.

Now, for my answer.

Yes, I take everything seriously. God created the Earth, balanced it so well, gave it all the plants, the animals, the birds of the air, and made a man out of dust, then I know that everything in the Bible is possible and did happen, just the way it is written. The Bible is inerrant, infallible, the source of truth, strength, and a whole bunch of great, amazing things. EVERYTHING IN THE BIBLE IS TRUE! Nothing is a lie. There are no errors, it is pure, and it is complete. No doubt.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

atruthseeker wrote:Do most Christians take the stories of the Bible literally
Yes, they're called miracles.

A miracle is an act of God that defys the laws that govern the physical universe.

Hope that helps,
JW

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Slopeshoulder »

scottlittlefield17 wrote:
atruthseeker wrote:Do most Christians take the stories of the Bible literally? I'm talking about Noah's Ark, the Arc of the Covenant, parting of the Red Sea, etc.? I'm not talking about anything directly connected to Jesus because I'm assuming that you must believe in him to be a Christian.

In a word, yes because if a I am to except any of the Bible I must accept he whole thing. Otherwise whose to say what to accept and what not to. That you will find pretty much across the board with anyone who would identify themselves as a being a fundamental or having strong fundamental influences.
Now that there is one of your BLF Christians talkin.' All or nothing yo.
Reify it or trash it, down to the letter.

I'm a postmodern liberal progressive, and we think that kinda thinking is whack. In my experience, with some very notable exceptions and counter-examples, it tends to reverse correlate with the level of theological education: less education>more literal; more education>less literal. But not always, because faith and psychology are powerful forces. Don't let anyone tell you there's a problem with your family members.