Questions for Roman Catholics ...

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Questions for Roman Catholics ...

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

Many Roman Catholics disagree with specific teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. These are not areas where the church has been ambiguous or where there has been any indication that their dogma will ever change. These are issues such as the exclusively male priesthood and the reproductive issues of contraception and abortion.

If you are a Roman Catholic:
Do you agree with the Church on these issues? If so, what is your view on those Roman Catholics who disagree on these issues but remain practicing Roman Catholics? If not, why do you remain in the Roman Catholic church? Why not find a church more in line with your actual beliefs?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

WinePusher

Re: Questions for Roman Catholics ...

Post #2

Post by WinePusher »

McCulloch wrote:Many Roman Catholics disagree with specific teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. These are not areas where the church has been ambiguous or where there has been any indication that their dogma will ever change. These are issues such as the exclusively male priesthood and the reproductive issues of contraception and abortion.

If you are a Roman Catholic:
Do you agree with the Church on these issues? If so, what is your view on those Roman Catholics who disagree on these issues but remain practicing Roman Catholics? If not, why do you remain in the Roman Catholic church? Why not find a church more in line with your actual beliefs?
I am a Roman Catholic and disagree with the church, but not with the issues you raise. I've got no problem with exclusive male priesthood and their reproductive stances. My disagreements lie with the churches stance on immigration, social justice and enviromental issues.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

winepusher wrote: I am a Roman Catholic and disagree with the church, but not with the issues you raise.
How do you regard those Roman Catholics who do disagree with the Church's stand on reproductive issues and the exclusively male priesthood?
Gospel of John

WinePusher

Post #4

Post by WinePusher »

McCulloch wrote:How do you regard those Roman Catholics who do disagree with the Church's stand on reproductive issues and the exclusively male priesthood?
Some would regard them as the negative term "cafeteria catholics" who pick and choose what they want to beleive, I regard them as people following their conscience. However, I have a hard time with self avowed catholic christians, who profess to have a relationship with Jesus, but permitt things such as abortion. This isn't a church tradition, this is from scripture, and the bible is very clear on abortion.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Goat »

winepusher wrote:
McCulloch wrote:How do you regard those Roman Catholics who do disagree with the Church's stand on reproductive issues and the exclusively male priesthood?
Some would regard them as the negative term "cafeteria catholics" who pick and choose what they want to beleive, I regard them as people following their conscience. However, I have a hard time with self avowed catholic christians, who profess to have a relationship with Jesus, but permitt things such as abortion. This isn't a church tradition, this is from scripture, and the bible is very clear on abortion.
Where is the bible clear on abortion?

Why, if the bible is clear on abortion, does it have a procedure in it that causes an intentional miscarriage?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by McCulloch »

winepusher wrote: Some would regard them as the negative term "cafeteria catholics" who pick and choose what they want to believe, I regard them as people following their conscience.
I would have more respect for their conscience if they did not associate themselves with an organization with which they have fundamental disagreements.
winepusher wrote: However, I have a hard time with self avowed catholic christians, who profess to have a relationship with Jesus, but permitt things such as abortion. This isn't a church tradition, this is from scripture, and the bible is very clear on abortion.
Firstly, isn't the teaching of the Roman Catholic church that the church is the source of the Bible. The highest spiritual authority on earth is the church, the continuing representation of the Body of Christ, not the Bible.

Secondly, the Bible is not very clear on abortion. But perhaps that is another topic.
Gospel of John

WinePusher

Post #7

Post by WinePusher »

goat wrote:Where is the bible clear on abortion?
Jeremiah 1:5: "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, [and] I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations."

Psalm 127:3: "truly children are a GIFT from the LORD; the fruit of the womb is a reward".

And a few others I cannot remember. The verses show that the fetus has a "soul" and a "purpose." Thus killing it would be the same as killing a human life.
goat wrote:Why, if the bible is clear on abortion, does it have a procedure in it that causes an intentional miscarriage?
I don't know what this procedure is..

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Goat »

winepusher wrote:
goat wrote:Where is the bible clear on abortion?
Jeremiah 1:5: "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, [and] I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations."
Now, lets take a look at that in context, now, shall we.

Jeremiah is talking about the feeling that he in specific was chosen by God to be a prophet. That means that he felt God chose him 'in the womb'. At best, that is discussing a specific case, the birth of a prophet. At worse, it is just the feeling of a single man who feels singled out for great things. It does not address abortion at all.

Psalm 127:3: "truly children are a GIFT from the LORD; the fruit of the womb is a reward".
Now, that is a bad translation there. The Judah press has it as '

Behold, the heritage of the Lord is sons, the reward is the fruit of the innards.

Now, if we take it at face value and literal (which according to the rashi commentary, it isn't.. it just means that sons are a reward. it does not address the subject of abortion at all.

And a few others I cannot remember. The verses show that the fetus has a "soul" and a "purpose." Thus killing it would be the same as killing a human life.
So far, the two passages you showed strike out pretty badly. You have to really twist the words to mean a prohibition against abortion.
goat wrote:Why, if the bible is clear on abortion, does it have a procedure in it that causes an intentional miscarriage?
I don't know what this procedure is..
Numbers 5.. the high priest feeds a 'potion' to a pregnant woman as a test for her fidelity.. and if she was unfaithful, she miscarriages. A rather barbaric ritual that thankfully is obsolete.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

WinePusher

Post #9

Post by WinePusher »

winepusher wrote:Jeremiah 1:5: "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, [and] I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations."
goat wrote:Now, lets take a look at that in context, now, shall we.

Jeremiah is talking about the feeling that he in specific was chosen by God to be a prophet. That means that he felt God chose him 'in the womb'. At best, that is discussing a specific case, the birth of a prophet. At worse, it is just the feeling of a single man who feels singled out for great things. It does not address abortion at all.
Let me first establish that these translations were taken from the King James Version, a text that is considered by many to mirror the orignal syntax. In context, Jeremiah is penning what he claims to be a direct revelation from God. So this is not Jeremiah's wording, according to the text, but rather God's words. Now, one could interpret this as a specific case of the birth of a prophet. But then if God knew Jeremiah before he was formed in the womb, according to the text, why would he not then know all other people before they were born in the womb? This is not exclusively meeant for Jeremiah. And on that, it does address abortion as it tells us that our purpose and our life began even before conception in the womb, thus if this text were to be taken literally, it would be interpreted as a declaration that life begins at conception and that abortion is the murder of a life, not a clump of cells.
goat wrote:So far, the two passages you showed strike out pretty badly. You have to really twist the words to mean a prohibition against abortion.
My second one may have striked out, but the first one doesn't.
goat wrote:Numbers 5.. the high priest feeds a 'potion' to a pregnant woman as a test for her fidelity.. and if she was unfaithful, she miscarriages. A rather barbaric ritual that thankfully is obsolete.
More like a superstition practiced by ancients. If she drinks and she has been unfaithful she will miscarriage, if she drinks and she has been faithful, she will not miscarriage. The only determining factor is whether or not she was faithful, thus making it a superstition, not any biological or biochemical determinants.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Goat »

winepusher wrote:
winepusher wrote:Jeremiah 1:5: "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, [and] I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations."
goat wrote:Now, lets take a look at that in context, now, shall we.

Let me first establish that these translations were taken from the King James Version, a text that is considered by many to mirror the orignal syntax. In context, Jeremiah is penning what he claims to be a direct revelation from God. So this is not Jeremiah's wording, according to the text, but rather God's words. Now, one could interpret this as a specific case of the birth of a prophet. But then if God knew Jeremiah before he was formed in the womb, according to the text, why would he not then know all other people before they were born in the womb? This is not exclusively meeant for Jeremiah. And on that, it does address abortion as it tells us that our purpose and our life began even before conception in the womb, thus if this text were to be taken literally, it would be interpreted as a declaration that life begins at conception and that abortion is the murder of a life, not a clump of cells.
It still doesn't matter if you consider it Jeremiah's words, or words that Jeremiah said were from God. It doesn't address conception, it doesn't address life, or murder. It addresses the fact that Jeremiah was chosen by God while still in the womb. That is all it is addressing. (Or, at least that is what Jeremiah Claimed). You are blowing things out of proportion, and taking things out of context. It is not addressing abortion and when life begins at all.

goat wrote:So far, the two passages you showed strike out pretty badly. You have to really twist the words to mean a prohibition against abortion.
My second one may have striked out, but the first one doesn't.
goat wrote:Numbers 5.. the high priest feeds a 'potion' to a pregnant woman as a test for her fidelity.. and if she was unfaithful, she miscarriages. A rather barbaric ritual that thankfully is obsolete.
More like a superstition practiced by ancients. If she drinks and she has been unfaithful she will miscarriage, if she drinks and she has been faithful, she will not miscarriage. The only determining factor is whether or not she was faithful, thus making it a superstition, not any biological or biochemical determinants.
Yes, it is superstition, since I don't think her faithfulness would matter one way or another, but it is a method where it is assumed miscarriage can be induced.

Steven Novella