Any questions for Jehovah's Witnesses?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Any questions for Jehovah's Witnesses?

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Lots of people have questions about Jehovah's Witnesses what we believe and why.

spear

Post #11

Post by spear »

Lucia wrote: it bothers me a great deal when they are rude, and they sometimes are.
Hi,
I'm quite surprised to read this, they always seem well mannered to me.

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Lux »

spear wrote:
Lucia wrote: it bothers me a great deal when they are rude, and they sometimes are.
Hi,
I'm quite surprised to read this, they always seem well mannered to me.
A lot of them are. When I tell them that I can't consider joining their church because I don't believe in god, the most of them adopt an attitude of genuine concern, but some become very aggressive.
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Lux »

JW,

In the "SteveC's fundamentalism criteria" thread you replied YES to the following question:
cnorman18 wrote:9. Do you believe that Jesus will return in your lifetime?
Cnorman specifically asked that we don't turn that thread into an opinion thread, but I wanted to ask you this so I moved it here.

How would it affect your belief if you realized you're very close to passing and Jesus has not yet returned?
[center]Image

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

nygreenguy
Guru

Post #14

Post by nygreenguy »

Lucia wrote:JW,

In the "SteveC's fundamentalism criteria" thread you replied YES to the following question:
cnorman18 wrote:9. Do you believe that Jesus will return in your lifetime?
Cnorman specifically asked that we don't turn that thread into an opinion thread, but I wanted to ask you this so I moved it here.

How would it affect your belief if you realized you're very close to passing and Jesus has not yet returned?
His answer of YES isnt a belief held by all JW's. Right now JW's think we are in the end times, since 1914 which is the sign of "total world war".

So, while we are in the end times, JW's still dont profess to know the exact time.

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Lux »

nygreenguy wrote:His answer of YES isnt a belief held by all JW's. Right now JW's think we are in the end times, since 1914 which is the sign of "total world war".

So, while we are in the end times, JW's still dont profess to know the exact time.
Even if we are at the End Times, Jesus has not returned yet, or at least he hasn't made his return public. The specific moment when Jesus reveals himself for the second time is that JW was talking about in that thread, I think, and I wonder how it would affect his personal faith (not necessarily that of JWs in general) if he realized he was about to pass and Jesus hadn't returned yet.
[center]Image

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

Lux wrote: I wonder how it would affect his personal faith (not necessarily that of JWs in general) if he realized he was about to pass and Jesus hadn't returned yet.
For Jehovah's Witnesses the goal is to endure to "the end" the end being the end of this present system or until the end of our lives (whichever comes first).

I firmly believe that we are living in what Jesus calls the 'last days' and that the end of this system is *soon*. Since we have no date we simply cannot tell you HOW soon. The bible gives indications that this last period is of a limited duration, developments indicate we are well along in this final 'period'. Thus the end of this system could be tomorrow this could be in several years time.

Jesus said to 'keep on the watch' and one doesn't 'watch out' for something one is convinced will not happen during your lifetime. If I keep on the watch; meaning live in expectation of the event, until the end of my life, I would have obeyed the command and would die happy and confident of my reward.

"In faith all these died, although they did not get the [fulfillment of the] promises, but they saw them afar off and welcomed them and publicly declared that they were strangers and temporary residents in the land. ... "-- Hebrews 11:13

AmazingJesusIs
Student

Post #17

Post by AmazingJesusIs »

1. If only 144,000 people are getting into heaven (according to the Watch Tower), then why do you continue on in the "great crowd" (as I think it's called) here on earth?

2. Do you believe Jesus was the Savior before being baptized?

3. Why do you only accept the New World Translation? What's wrong with the King James Version, or the New King James Version, or the New American Standard Version, or the English Standard Version?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #18

AmazingJesusIs wrote:1. If only 144,000 people are getting into heaven (according to the Watch Tower), then why do you continue on in the "great crowd" (as I think it's called) here on earth?

#ANSWER: Jehovah's Witnesses believe millions and millions of people will be able to live in paradise on EARTH. The bible speaks about this group as being a "great crowd which no man was able to number" so these people that will live in paradise on earth is NOT liminted to a speicfic number (remember paradise is talking about living in a garden like earth).

Matthew 5: 5 American Standard Version
"Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth."

Matthew 6 v 10 Young's Literal Translationn "Thy reign come: Thy will come to pass, as in heaven also on the earth."

Proverbs 2 v 21 Douay-Rheims Bible "For they that are upright shall dwell in the earth, and the simple shall continue in it. " Further online reading, Video

Further reading...
http://searchforbibletruths.blogspot.co ... ovahs.html
AmazingJesusIs wrote:2. Do you believe Jesus was the Savior before being baptized?
The question is not 100% clear, are you asking "do we believe Jesus was mankind's saviour before HE was baptised?" or "Do we need to believe in Jesus as our saviour before WE are baptised as Christians?"

Do Jehovah's Witnesses believe Jesus is mankind's Saviour?

Yes. We believe Jesus was sent to earth to provide a ransom sacrifice to save mankind from their sins. Even before he was baptised he had that commission although he wasn't anointed with holy spirit as the Christ until he was baptised.

Further reading
http://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/article_05.htm

Do Jehovah's Witnesses need to accept Jesus as their saviour before they are baptised?

Absolutely yes! Our faith is based on recognising Jesus as the only saviour for mankind and we must learn about this and demonstrate we believe this to be true before we are baptised (see John 3:16)

AmazingJesusIs wrote:3. Why do you only accept the New World Translation
Jehovah's Witnesses do NOT only accept the New World Translation. We read and study many translations and are happy to use any bible to discuss with people. Our publications often quote from many different translations.

Most Jehovah's Witnesses use the NWT for their personal use and study because they find it to be a better and more accurate translation than most but are happy to refer to any bible at all.

AmazingJesusIs wrote: What's wrong with the King James Version, or the New King James Version, or the New American Standard Version, or the English Standard Version?
There is nothing with any of these bible translations and Jehovah's Witnesses often refer to them or use them (especially the KJV because it is well respected and contains the divine name).

Thank you for your questions,

Respect,
JW

nygreenguy
Guru

Post #19

Post by nygreenguy »

AmazingJesusIs wrote:1. If only 144,000 people are getting into heaven (according to the Watch Tower), then why do you continue on in the "great crowd" (as I think it's called) here on earth?
To be more specific, JW's dont think that heaven is the ultimate goal like much of christianity. The 144,000 refers to those who will live, as spirits, with the angels, jesus and god.

Humans are physical creatures, and when they die, they are dead. There is no soul. The JW version of heaven is a physical earth which will be "paradise" as it was with adam and eve.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re:

Post #20

nygreenguy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:14 pm

Humans are physical creatures, and when they die, they are dead. There is no soul. The JW version of heaven is a physical earth which will be "paradise" as it was with adam and eve.
I wouldnt say our " version of heaven is a physical earth" there arent "versions" of heaven rhere is just heaven.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8