Do you have a question for a Reformed Baptist Christian?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

AmazingJesusIs
Student

Do you have a question for a Reformed Baptist Christian?

Post #1

Post by AmazingJesusIs »

Ask me questions about my beliefs.

I believe in:

TULIP
T - Total Depravity (Man is Dead in His Sins and Has No Say in His Salvation)
U - Unconditional Election (God Saves Off of No Previous Merit or Work)
L - Limited Atonement (Jesus Died Only for Those the Father Chose)
I - Irresistible Grace (Man Cannot Resist God's Salvific Grace if it is Imposed on Him)
P - Perseverance of the Saints (Once Saved, Always Saved; According To 1 John 2:19.)

The Five Solas
Sola scriptura ("by Scripture alone")
Sola fide ("by faith alone")
Sola gratia ("by grace alone")
Solo Christo ("through Christ alone")
Soli Deo gloria ("glory to God alone")

Autodidact
Prodigy

Post #21

Post by Autodidact »

Do you honestly believe that all people are totally depraved? Totally? All people?

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Re: Do you have a question for a Reformed Baptist Christian?

Post #22

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

Alfred Persson wrote:
AmazingJesusIs wrote:Ask me questions about my beliefs.

I believe in:

TULIP
I - Irresistible Grace (Man Cannot Resist God's Salvific Grace if it is Imposed on Him)
P - Perseverance of the Saints (Once Saved, Always Saved; According To 1 John 2:19.)

The Five Solas
Gen 15:6 And he believed in the LORD, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.

God would not count as righteousness, what is depraved. Nor would scripture say "Abraham believed God", if it were someone else believing.

I withdraw my question on total depravity, its clearly contradicted by Abraham's faith, which could not be depraved in any manner as God counted it as righteousness to Abraham, also proving it was his faith, and not God's being rewarded....all this in spite of his alleged "total depravity."

Have a nice day.
There is also Job.

Job 1:1 In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil.
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

Alfred Persson
Student

Re: Do you have a question for a Reformed Baptist Christian?

Post #23

Post by Alfred Persson »

ThatGirlAgain wrote:
Alfred Persson wrote:
AmazingJesusIs wrote:Ask me questions about my beliefs.

I believe in:

TULIP

The Five Solas
Gen 15:6 And he believed in the LORD, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.

God would not count as righteousness, what is depraved. Nor would scripture say "Abraham believed God", if it were someone else believing.

I withdraw my question on total depravity, its clearly contradicted by Abraham's faith, which could not be depraved in any manner as God counted it as righteousness to Abraham, also proving it was his faith, and not God's being rewarded....all this in spite of his alleged "total depravity."

Have a nice day.
There is also Job.

Job 1:1 In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil.
Satan's premise is total depravity, that in every free will act to serve God, is depraved self interest:

8 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil?"
9 So Satan answered the LORD and said, "Does Job fear God for nothing?
10 "Have You not made a hedge around him, around his household, and around all that he has on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.
11 "But now, stretch out Your hand and touch all that he has, and he will surely curse You to Your face!" (Job 1:8-11 NKJ)

People often wonder how Satan and a third of the angels believed they could win against infinite almighty God.

Evidently Satan thought he could use God against Himself---because God basis His right to be Sovereign on His perfections, not His power. If He made mistakes, He is no longer God by His own definition.

Satan thought he caught God in an error when He declared Job upright, who fears God (and is not selfishly following his own depraved motives). But this is the general argument brought to bear on a specific case.

Satan alleged all free will is depraved, if selfish motives exist for every choice, including serving God, then God made a mistake creating free will creatures to live with Him in perfect love. If God made mistakes, He is not God and has no right to dictate to the Devil and crew.

Job didn't prove God wrong, but neither did he prove God right. That had to wait for the incarnation of the Son, whose free will choice to serve the Father required He "made Himself of no reputation" (= analogically sell all He owned as infinite God in heaven), adding to Himself human nature and serving God as a humble man even to a horrible death on the cross, because He freely chose to do so because of His perfect love for the Father.

6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,
7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.
8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. (Phi 2:6-8 NKJ)

So Christ's free will choice to serve the Father, even though it required infinite loss of self interest, because He loved the Father more than Himself, proved forever free will does exist without depraved motives, and that perfect love for the Father exists.

Hence demons cannot say Jesus came in the flesh, they choke on the words:

3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world. (1Jo 4:3 NKJ)

So I see Total Depravity as Satan's refuted premise free will doesn't exist, that every choice of man contains depraved selfish motives.

But I thought I ask one who seemed to know what the dogma is, just to be sure.

Personally I reverse what Calvinism logically concludes, that instead of a few only being saved, I say only a few ill be lost. They may be many, but relative to the billions who came into existence, their overall percentage will be small indeed.

If you Google "John 5:24-29 implies 2 ways to God's Grace: election & works" (with the quotes) you can read my exposition of this view. Also "Billions now living may never die"