Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

catalyst
Site Supporter

Question to Mormons.

Post #1

Post by catalyst »

Hello people,

This question came to mind whilst complying a reply to Dianaiad on a different thread.

I have read through a lot of LDS websites and many of them as Dianaiad also claims that human beings all have what you guys claim is "free agency", where an individuals choice in matters is always the underlying factor as to ANY human being's action.

Now, could you guys please confirm that I am on the right track as to your belief system here?

Before I ask the questions I want to, could any of you please also confirm, that I am on the correct wavelength as to your faith on this.

I suppose one example I gleaned as to what your concept of "foreordained" and having choice was this example shown on http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/basi ... on_eom.htm

where this was claimed:
Foreordination is the premortal selection of individuals to come forth in mortality at specified times, under certain conditions, and to fulfill predesignated responsibilities. In LDS interpretation, "foreordained" does not mean predetermined (see Predestination). It is the outcome of voluntary choice, not the violation or abrogation of it.
Now, frankly when I look up MULTIPLE dictionaries, I see that the synonyms for predetermined ARE foreordained, preordained, fated and other such definitions.

I am willing however to overlook the BROAD (across the board) definitions of these words and concentrate on what YOU faith "claims" foreordained means.

Please let me know and thank you in advance.

Catalyst.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Nickman »

When I was LDS I believed that I was completely conscious in the premortal realm and that there was a great council of which the plan of salvation and the way to become celestial was explained. All terms were understood and all who accepted them became eligible to receive a fleshly body and go through this physical life and hopefully if I followed the plan of salvation I could become a celestial being in the highest kingdom of god and continue to create children that would be born into a fleshly body on a planet of my own.

On the contrary there were some who did not accept the terms at the council and these are the followers of satan. They did not receive a physical body and are roaming the earth seeking whom they may to get them to deviate from the plan.

I am not sure if this has been abandoned by the LDS Quorum of the 12 since I took my name off of their records.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Kuan »

im no expert but here is what I think on the subject.

The two terms do seem contradictory but that are not at all. You are right that we believe in free will and that we always have a choice. The idea of predestination isnt a solid thing. Many were 'predestined' to do many things, but depending upon their choices, will determine whether they do whatever it was. Just my two cents, maybe Dianaid can be a better source.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.