Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Braveheart
Banned
Banned

Question for Atheists: Do you wish the Christian God exists

Post #1

Post by Braveheart »

Do any here Atheists wish or want to believe in the Christian God, or any god, for that matter, it's just that evidence points against it? Or are you more comfortable in a world without a god?

help3434
Guru

Re: Question for Atheists: Do you wish the Christian God exi

Post #21

Post by help3434 »

Braveheart wrote: Do any here Atheists wish or want to believe in the Christian God, or any god, for that matter, it's just that evidence points against it? Or are you more comfortable in a world without a god?
I have ambiguous thoughts on this one. I would wish to belief in the God that I THOUGHT was the Christian God before I realized all the nasty implications of many passages of scriptures in the Bible..

playhavock
Guru

Post #22

Post by playhavock »

Wishing does not make things happen or not happen. my personal desire for things is not relevent, if someone/something gave me the power of a wish, I would use it to make the world a better place.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #23

Post by Divine Insight »

Braveheart wrote: Do any here Atheists wish or want to believe in the Christian God, or any god, for that matter, it's just that evidence points against it? Or are you more comfortable in a world without a god?
This is an old thread, but since it's been kicked up I'd like to offer my answer.

First off, a person wishes to believe in a God they probably wouldn't be an atheist. ;)

I have no desire to believe in the Christian God as a matter of pure faith. I see no wisdom in that dogma. There is nothing inviting to me about a God who is chomping at the bit to condemn people to eternal damnation for merely not believing in him. I certainly would be extremely depressed if it were true that our creator had to have his son crucified to pay for our horrible failings. That wouldn't even say much for the creator God anyway. After all, if we are that pathetic it can only be because our creator created us to be so pathetic in the first place.

So yes, Christianity is out as far as being desirable. I can't imagine why anyone would actually want to Christianity to be true. I can only imagine people believing in it because they are convinced that they have no choice but to accept it.

Am I more comfortable in a world without the Christian God. Yes, of course. The christian God is portrayed as a truly inept creator, what is comfortable about that.

Would I prefer to believe in "God" verses no God at all?

Well, only if the "God" is actually better than no God at all. IMHO, the God of Christianity doesn't fit into that category.

But yes, I find a mystical reality to be more interesting and potentially "rewarding" than a finite life that was merely the result of some sort of freak accident.

Waking up after death to discover that there is more to reality than this life could potentially be a great thing. But only if that existence truly is "Righteous".

I don't see where Christianity offers a "Righteous" afterlife for everyone. Being condemned for merely not believing in the religion is not "Righteous", IMHO.

So, yes, I would appreciate a mystical eternal reality over a mundane finite secular accident (especially if it truly is righteous). Surely any sane person would.

I'm not afraid of righteousness. The only thing I would need to fear would be a truly unrighteous "God". But ironically an unrighteous "God" would actually be a Demon.

And yes, I would rather pure secular atheism were true than to think that we were created to be the playthings of a sadistically demonic "God". That would be a nightmare far worse than anything I could imagine.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by Cephus »

Nope, I have no interest in any god of any kind and recognize that wishful thinking doesn't actually make things happen. God(s) are either real or not. What I desire is entirely irrelevant to that fact.
Want to hear more? Check out my blog!
Watch my YouTube channel!
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

help3434
Guru

Post #25

Post by help3434 »

Divine Insight wrote:

First off, a person wishes to believe in a God they probably wouldn't be an atheist. ;)
Why do you say that?

we-live-now
Scholar

Post #26

Post by we-live-now »

[Replying to post 2 by jmvizanko]

Hi Braveheart. I like your honest post. I am a fellow Wisconsinite (Cheesehead) too. I hear you on the existence of Hell. Why would a supposedly "loving" God create billions of humans just to send them to eternal torment?

Maybe he didn't?

Check out this amazing teaching that I believe is going to open MANY peoples eyes to the lies we have been fed from mainstream Christianity.

Check out the videos titled "Hell is unbiblical" on this page.

http://www.godsplanforall.com/videos

They also have their book on their site for all to read too. I am a Christian and my eyes were really opened on this material.

we-live-now

wiploc
Guru

Post #27

Post by wiploc »

I'm from Kansas. When I think of a god, I think of the Christian god who drowned a world, who tortures people forever in Hellfire. So of course we are better off without that.

master_blaster
Student

Post #28

Post by master_blaster »

Was discussing this the other day. No i do not. Given the amount of suffering on this planet, both human and non-human, any god that did exist would have to be kind of a dick, creating this suffering then taking quite the hands off approach. Any deity resembling the christian god, who sends people to eternal torment for the most morally trivial acts, would also be unworthy of worship. The OT god is simply a genocidal monster.

So a creator kills 4 year olds and allows disorders such as mental retardation, blindness, and down syndrome for what purpose? The christian god makes people gay (it surely isn't a choice) only to condemn them for it. Again, not a very just creator.

I wish a god existed in the same way i wish the world was more fair and devoid of suffering, both impossibilities. How many species have been wiped out on how many planets and i'm to believe in this crap?

Beyonder
Student

Post #29

Post by Beyonder »

Nickman wrote: I do not want or wish that the christian god was real due to the fact that if he was then people would see their loved ones burning for eternity. Secondly,that kind of god we see in the bible is far from loving and kind. He DEMANDS worship and attention and gets jealous when he doesn't get it and throws a fit like a drunk.
What?......so much wrong in that post no offense.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #30

Post by Danmark »

Beyonder wrote:
What?......so much wrong in that post no offense.
Moderator Comment

Please avoid one-liners. If you respond to a post, be specific. Saying you don't like it, or "it's wrong" adds nothing to the debate. Posts should be more than a simple approval or disapproval.
Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.