For any theist

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Ragna
Guru

For any theist

Post #1

Post by Ragna »

It is some personal experiences in the forum and a topic I saw about a theist member leaving that prompted my curiosity.

Though not always, I understand that if one is a convinced theist, specially a Christian, and holds something as holy, some conversations might feel a little aggressive or disrespectful, though after all you know the thoughts of people who are here. In fact, it's not uncommon to have a tense atmosphere, a situation I don't like at all and would like to avoid as much as possible in the future, because actually there are a good number of theists I feel sympathy for. So these are my questions, and I will sincerely appreciate thoughtful answers. And remember, this is totally impersonal. I'm looking for general answers.

Firstly, do you ever find debating disrespectful to your faith, in any sense, in any context? If so, what is your reason for debating then?

When do you think a non-theist is being disrespectful?

Do you any time try to empathize with non-theists and their thoughts on the matter? When you do, do you still receive the original impression?

As a side comment for this last one, I must say that I sometimes try to empathize with Christians and understand them, and it's not impossible - but of course, not always feasible. In my own opinion, it highly depends on the atmosphere and the sympathy towards the opponent.

Ragna
Guru

Re: For any theist

Post #11

Post by Ragna »

You have largely misinterpreted my post.
Adstar wrote:Where did i state that you where a hate monger? please Quote where i said you where a hate monger.

You did not. I simply asked for a clarification, precisely because I don't know who it's referring to. I'm not accusing you. You need not take such a defensive attitude, in fact, if you see the last line in my post, it only applied if you were talking about all people and not just those disrespectful.
Adstar wrote:1) We are talking about How i interact with people who are "disrespectful" to my faith. That was the established criteria You set at the start. Now your trying to move the goal posts to say that my reply was a personal reply talking about you. When any reasonable person interpreting my reply would see it as a reply talking about people who are Disrespectful of my faith.

I'm not doing any such thing. It was a question and I was open for all possibilities. It's precisely because I didn't know why that I asked. :|
Adstar wrote::shock: This topic was not about you. This topic was about people who are disrespectful to Christians and thats how i answered it.

My question was a petition for a clarification, because, I know what you think about those disrespectful via your reply, but what is not clear to me, is when you consider somebody disrespectful (which is the OP question), I'm sorry I must have missed it. Of course it was not about "me", that's why I asked that whoever it was, was irrelevant. I was just curious about the apparent dichotomy and its application.
Adstar wrote:I am speaking from my personal experiance from people who have been abusive towards me because of my faith.

Ok, this is clear now. My question is, when do you consider a person is being so?

Only when I know this is when I'll know what would apply to whoever, not specifically "me", but whoever, and it's the purpose of my question.

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #12

Post by Adstar »

Ragna wrote:You have largely misinterpreted my post.
Adstar wrote:Where did i state that you where a hate monger? please Quote where i said you where a hate monger.

You did not. I simply asked for a clarification, precisely because I don't know who it's referring to. I'm not accusing you. You need not take such a defensive attitude, in fact, if you see the last line in my post, it only applied if you were talking about all people and not just those disrespectful.
Adstar wrote:1) We are talking about How i interact with people who are "disrespectful" to my faith. That was the established criteria You set at the start. Now your trying to move the goal posts to say that my reply was a personal reply talking about you. When any reasonable person interpreting my reply would see it as a reply talking about people who are Disrespectful of my faith.

I'm not doing any such thing. It was a question and I was open for all possibilities. It's precisely because I didn't know why that I asked. :|
Adstar wrote::shock: This topic was not about you. This topic was about people who are disrespectful to Christians and thats how i answered it.

My question was a petition for a clarification, because, I know what you think about those disrespectful via your reply, but what is not clear to me, is when you consider somebody disrespectful (which is the OP question), I'm sorry I must have missed it. Of course it was not about "me", that's why I asked that whoever it was, was irrelevant. I was just curious about the apparent dichotomy and its application.
Adstar wrote:I am speaking from my personal experiance from people who have been abusive towards me because of my faith.

Ok, this is clear now. My question is, when do you consider a person is being so?

Only when I know this is when I'll know what would apply to whoever, not specifically "me", but whoever, and it's the purpose of my question.

When people declare me and theists to be suffering from delusions.

When people declare that theists are fools.

When people declare theists are of inferior intellect.

When people falsely declare that I stand for this and that in an attempt to smear me when i have never stated i support this or that.

I have been accused in this very forum of wanting the enact a nazi style extermination of homosexuals.

I could add a lot more to this list. Common sense tells me when someone is denigrating me, when someone is being arrogant towards me.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Ragna
Guru

Post #13

Post by Ragna »

Adstar wrote:When people declare me and theists to be suffering from delusions.

When people declare that theists are fools.

When people declare theists are of inferior intellect.

When people falsely declare that I stand for this and that in an attempt to smear me when i have never stated i support this or that.

I have been accused in this very forum of wanting the enact a nazi style extermination of homosexuals.

I could add a lot more to this list. Common sense tells me when someone is denigrating me, when someone is being arrogant towards me.
Ok, thanks for your contribution. (What's the difference between 2 and 3?)

As for the nazi thing, I was in that thread. You overreacted in my opinion, since the comparison was simply to make a point and you did call homosexuality a problem, and that could be considered offensive in itself (or for example, comparing it to zoophilia and pedophilia). But I don't want to enter yet another debate over that here.

In general, I consider that accusing you of wanting extermination would be wrong, I simply don't consider they truly did in that thread, and I daresay people who read the thread might come to a similar conclusion that it was merely a preventive analogy (to reflect on word usage).