Question for people who pray...

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

lookwhatidid
Student

Question for people who pray...

Post #1

Post by lookwhatidid »

A brief (simple) question: christians, do you sincerely believe in the "power of prayer"- as in the effectiveness of it? do you also believe in the old adage that "god has a plan"? if so, how do you reconcile the two beliefs?

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello lookwhatidid,

In the title your addressed your question to anyone who prays but then in your question you directed it to Christians. Do you believe Christians are the only ones who pray?
I believe in prayer. God's plan is that we each learn whatever lessons we came here to learn. Prayer plays an integral part in the process of learning these lessons. If we realize that something we did is wrong then we may not have to pay the full karmic debt.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

lookwhatidid
Student

Post #3

Post by lookwhatidid »

sleepyhead wrote:Hello lookwhatidid,

In the title your addressed your question to anyone who prays but then in your question you directed it to Christians. Do you believe Christians are the only ones who pray?
I believe in prayer. God's plan is that we each learn whatever lessons we came here to learn. Prayer plays an integral part in the process of learning these lessons. If we realize that something we did is wrong then we may not have to pay the full karmic debt.
yeah, sorry about that. maybe i should have clarified. obviously no! no i don't believe that christians are the only ones who pray.

as a praying person, do you believe that the deity you pray to has a "master plan" of sorts? do you believe that it is omniscient? (as the christian god of the bible suggests). do you believe that god knows all, sees all, controls all- that "the hairs on our head are numbered"? if he oversees EVERY decision that EVERY human being makes and knows when we will die and under what circumstances, then isn't it in error to "pray"? praying is essentially pleading for god to change his mind and alter his "plan". this negates any idea of an omnipotent god.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by sleepyhead »

wrote:"lookwhatidid"as a praying person, do you believe that the deity you pray to has a "master plan" of sorts? do you believe that it is omniscient? (as the christian god of the bible suggests). do you believe that god knows all, sees all, controls all- that "the hairs on our head are numbered"? if he oversees EVERY decision that EVERY human being makes and knows when we will die and under what circumstances, then isn't it in error to "pray"? praying is essentially pleading for god to change his mind and alter his "plan". this negates any idea of an omnipotent god.
Hello lookwhatidid,

I was a little harsh in my response earlier. I apologize.
The master plan would that we all become one with God in some spiritual sense.
I am an open theist and believe that the future in the ultimate sense is unknowable even by God. He can intervene in our lives and in that sense he/she can control the future.

>>>praying is essentially pleading for god to change his mind and alter his "plan". this negates any idea of an omnipotent god.<<<

His plan is that we all become one with him/her. There are many topics an individual can pray about. I'll go through a few here and if there any special topics you would like to discuss we can.

If an individual is sick prayer can help tap into the healing powers within the individual to speed healing. If an individual is traveling he can pray for a safe journey. this will help open the individual up to inner guidance with regards to safety tips or to tap into any potential dangers to ensure a safe journey. prayer either before or after eating would help the individual remember that the food he eats is ultimately from God.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

Peg
Student

Post #5

Post by Peg »

lookwhatidid wrote:
sleepyhead wrote:Hello lookwhatidid,

yeah, sorry about that. maybe i should have clarified. obviously no! no i don't believe that christians are the only ones who pray.

as a praying person, do you believe that the deity you pray to has a "master plan" of sorts? do you believe that it is omniscient? (as the christian god of the bible suggests). do you believe that god knows all, sees all, controls all- that "the hairs on our head are numbered"? if he oversees EVERY decision that EVERY human being makes and knows when we will die and under what circumstances, then isn't it in error to "pray"? praying is essentially pleading for god to change his mind and alter his "plan". this negates any idea of an omnipotent god.
God certainly does has a plan and we can see what it is in the holy bible... so if we are praying out of harmony with Gods will, he is not going to answer such prayers

I pray regularly but I dont often ask God for 'things' that i want... i ask for things that he wants and I ask that I may somehow help in doing the things he wants done. Of course i ask for help in areas of my life which are difficult for me, but i dont expect God to miraculously alter my circumstances so that the problems disappear... i accept the problems i have and ask only that he helps me endure them and make wise decisions in how to deal with them

I think the trap many fall into is to ask God for the things they want and they forget that God also wants things... my only goal in praying is to ask that I may fit into his plans so that his will may become accomplished.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Question for people who pray...

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

lookwhatidid wrote:A brief (simple) question: christians, do you sincerely believe in the "power of prayer"- as in the effectiveness of it? do you also believe in the old adage that "god has a plan"? if so, how do you reconcile the two beliefs?
# do you sincerely believe in the "power of prayer"- as in the effectiveness of it?

Yes, I do.

# do you also believe in the old adage that "god has a plan"?

By this, do you mean that all actions are predetermined by God and that God has already decided each individuals personal destiny even before they were born?

No I don't.

# if so, how do you reconcile the two beliefs?

N/A

My source(s)
http://www.watchtower.org/e/200902/article_01.htm

Nontheist

Post #7

Post by Nontheist »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
lookwhatidid wrote:A brief (simple) question: christians, do you sincerely believe in the "power of prayer"- as in the effectiveness of it? do you also believe in the old adage that "god has a plan"? if so, how do you reconcile the two beliefs?
# do you sincerely believe in the "power of prayer"- as in the effectiveness of it?

Yes, I do.

# do you also believe in the old adage that "god has a plan"?

By this, do you mean that all actions are predetermined by God and that God has already decided each individuals personal destiny even before they were born?

No I don't.

# if so, how do you reconcile the two beliefs?

N/A

My source(s)
http://www.watchtower.org/e/200902/article_01.htm

Does everything you post and think personally have to agree with the dictates of the Watchtower Org. and the dogma of Jehovahs Witnesses? If you deviate from those accepted and approved beliefs are you "shunned" by the "elders" and other members of your belief system?

These questions are asked respectfully and out of honest curiousity and personal interest in religions and religious cults.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Nontheis wrote:Does everything you post and think personally have to agree with the dictates of the Watchtower Org. and the dogma of Jehovahs Witnesses? If you deviate from those accepted and approved beliefs are you "shunned" by the "elders" and other members of your belief system?

These questions are asked respectfully and out of honest curiousity and personal interest in religions and religious cults.
#No
#No

Glad to be of help,
JW

David 2.0

Hi...

Post #9

Post by David 2.0 »

As a person who "prays" and is not a christian, on some level I do believe in the "power of prayer".

I have been blessed with a noisy mind. Prayer and meditation (which for me tend to be combined) seem to help me focus, see more clearly, and is a safe place for me to leave my ego at the door.

It relaxes me.

It helps me focus and verbalize goals and ambitions, much like writing your goals down.

It is a forum that is conducive to introspection and self reflection.

ect.

So for me the power of prayer is "effective" enough.

As far as God's plan goes? Not much for me to reconcile.

I imagine if there is a God concept "Its" plan is well in hand.
I tend to worry more about spiders. :D

puddleglum
Sage

Post #10

Post by puddleglum »

lookwhatidid wrote: as a praying person, do you believe that the deity you pray to has a "master plan" of sorts? do you believe that it is omniscient? (as the christian god of the bible suggests). do you believe that god knows all, sees all, controls all- that "the hairs on our head are numbered"?
Yes
if he oversees EVERY decision that EVERY human being makes and knows when we will die and under what circumstances, then isn't it in error to "pray"? praying is essentially pleading for god to change his mind and alter his "plan". this negates any idea of an omnipotent god.
No. God has commanded us to pray and ask for what we need. This isn't asking him to alter his plan; it is part of his plan.

We can't possibly know or understand all of God's plan and we don't need to. God has told us how he wants us to live and his instructions include asking him for what we need. Sometimes he chooses to grant our requests and sometimes he refuses. Our responsibility is to obey him. We must leave it to him to determine how our actions fit into his total plan.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV