Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Q for RCs (De Maria if possible....) re: The RC & BIBLE

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Hello,

I am thinking of writing or compiling something on the history of the bible in English and would like to know how Catholics commonly view the role of the church in the opposition and execution of bible translators.

Do Catholics believe the Church had any connection at all to these executions and if so what was that connection?

Are the Church leaders that were involved viewed as individual mavericks and/or innocent victims pressured against their will to act on behalf of the State (contrary to the will of the Holy Pontif)?

In short how do Catholics view that chapter of Church/bible history?

(any links to official declaration - sorry I don't know the word for prouncement from the Pope - would be very helpful)

Respectfully,
JW

Thanks in advance.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Re: Q for RCs (De Maria if possible....) re: The RC & BI

Post #11

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
Where is the above quote from? My opinion on it? Hogwash.
The summary was my own and it was an attempt to articulate WHAT the Catholic POV on these historical events is. Obviously there must exist a commentary on the Catholic's take on these events and comments such as ... "I'm not aware of the Catholic Church executing anyone." lead me to assume the above. IE the Catholic Church (meaning individual representatives of the church (whether maverick working without official sanction or fully authorized persons) executed no-one.. still these 'heretics' did die so one can only presume the Catholic position is (as I stated above) that they played a minor/perfunctory or forced role. Thus my paragraph.

I invited comments because I have no idea WHAT position the Church takes on these events, whether any comment has been made in the 500 years since and what part (if any) the average Catholic believes their religion played in these events.

This is the purpose of the thread and the reason I asked the question. It is NOT an invitation to "Catholic bash" it is simply a requestion for published statements on the part of the present day church of past actions in this regard. It is not a search for what happened it is a search for what the Catholic Church and its representives FEEL/believe about what happened.

You have been helpful and I appreciate it.

JW
The Catholic Encyclopedia article I quoted from above makes it clear that the Church was definitely sentencing heretics to death even though the executions themselves were carried out by civil authorities. To claim that the church never executed anyone either reflects an unawareness of history as presented by the Church itself or a claim of innocence by technicality.
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell