Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

southern cross
Banned
Banned

Questions for the LDS

Post #1

Post by southern cross »

Mormons (if this term offends, please let me know) believe that all of us, as souls, chose to be born on earth and experience the trials and tribulations associated with that decision.
Is this true?
Where were our souls when this question was posed?
Was this question posed by god?
Were we in the presence of god at the time?
Was there an alternative?
Are all unborn souls still residing wherever this was?
Is there a finite number of souls, or are more being created?
Is it only Mormons who achieve heaven?
Thank you in advance.

officer2002
Student

Post #51

Post by officer2002 »

JohnPaul wrote: dianaiad wrote:
We believe that infants and children who die before they become accountable for their actions (oh, yeah, and those who are NEVER fully accountable for them) go straight home to our Father in Heaven.

I don't know what happens to those souls whose bodies are aborted before birth...but just in case, we have a real problem with that. Abortion, that is.
1.Does the soul enter the fetus before brain functions have developed?
2.How does the soul interact with the physical body?
3.Does the soul retain a "mind" and memories separate from what is perceived by the brain?
4.Does the soul actually reside within the body, or does it operate by remote control?
5.Can the soul communicate with other souls while within the body?
1. God has not said. Some say might say yes the
spirit enters before birth because John the Baptist jumped in his mother's womb. Some say it happens at birth because the day before being born Jesus Christ spoke to Nephi.
2. God has not explained.
3. Yes.
4. The spirit resides in the body. Death is when the spirit leaves the body.
5. The Holy Ghost communicating to us is the only example of this happening in Mormon theology.

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #52

Post by dianaiad »

officer2002 wrote:
JohnPaul wrote: dianaiad wrote:
We believe that infants and children who die before they become accountable for their actions (oh, yeah, and those who are NEVER fully accountable for them) go straight home to our Father in Heaven.

I don't know what happens to those souls whose bodies are aborted before birth...but just in case, we have a real problem with that. Abortion, that is.
1.Does the soul enter the fetus before brain functions have developed?
2.How does the soul interact with the physical body?
3.Does the soul retain a "mind" and memories separate from what is perceived by the brain?
4.Does the soul actually reside within the body, or does it operate by remote control?
5.Can the soul communicate with other souls while within the body?
1. God has not said. Some say might say yes the
spirit enters before birth because John the Baptist jumped in his mother's womb. Some say it happens at birth because the day before being born Jesus Christ spoke to Nephi.
2. God has not explained.
3. Yes.
4. The spirit resides in the body. Death is when the spirit leaves the body.
5. The Holy Ghost communicating to us is the only example of this happening in Mormon theology.
Actually, officer, I do have a small quibble regarding #5. I reference your own definition of 'soul,' being a combination of the spirit and the body. Given that, then yes, souls do indeed communicate with other souls while 'within the body."

It's called 'talking."

(grin)

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Re: Questions for the LDS

Post #53

Post by sleepyhead »

officer2002 wrote: 1. The soul is the body and spirit together. If you substitute the word "spirit" for "soul", yes. Our options were be born here and have the experiences of mortality or never get a body and be kicked out of heaven for the rebellion (which is the condition of The Devil and his angels).
2. We were in heaven with our heavenly family. We use the wording "Grand Council" to describe the event.
3. Yes, Father in Heaven was there. Our big brother Jehovah(Jesus Christ) was the advocate for the plan of our Father in Heaven. The leader of the opposition was our brother Lucifer.
4. Yes
5. See answer 1.
6. Unborn spirits who did not rebel are residing with Father in Heaven until it is their turn on earth.
7. I have never seen a revelation which answers this question.
8. I do not look at it that way. People need to be baptized by the proper authority which exists only in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. There are ordinances which are only performed in the temples which are required. I do not agree with the summary because we believe people who did not get a chance to accept the gospel in this life will not be punished by God. We perform ordinances for the dead in our temples for people who were not Mormons.
Hello officer,

God talked to Moses for 40 years and during that time God never divulged any details about the afterlife. None of the prophets of the OT did either. Jesus spoke in parables about the afterlife (kingdom of God). Does it make sense that God would wait until 1830 to reveal all these details and then only reveal them to JS and noone else?
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #54

Post by dianaiad »

sleepyhead wrote:
officer2002 wrote: 1. The soul is the body and spirit together. If you substitute the word "spirit" for "soul", yes. Our options were be born here and have the experiences of mortality or never get a body and be kicked out of heaven for the rebellion (which is the condition of The Devil and his angels).
2. We were in heaven with our heavenly family. We use the wording "Grand Council" to describe the event.
3. Yes, Father in Heaven was there. Our big brother Jehovah(Jesus Christ) was the advocate for the plan of our Father in Heaven. The leader of the opposition was our brother Lucifer.
4. Yes
5. See answer 1.
6. Unborn spirits who did not rebel are residing with Father in Heaven until it is their turn on earth.
7. I have never seen a revelation which answers this question.
8. I do not look at it that way. People need to be baptized by the proper authority which exists only in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. There are ordinances which are only performed in the temples which are required. I do not agree with the summary because we believe people who did not get a chance to accept the gospel in this life will not be punished by God. We perform ordinances for the dead in our temples for people who were not Mormons.
Hello officer,

God talked to Moses for 40 years and during that time God never divulged any details about the afterlife. None of the prophets of the OT did either. Jesus spoke in parables about the afterlife (kingdom of God). Does it make sense that God would wait until 1830 to reveal all these details and then only reveal them to JS and noone else?

Does to me.

Why not? Since when would God have to compress HIS time schedule down to one that made you comfortable?

Robert H
Student

Post #55

Post by Robert H »

[Replying to post 28 by Nickman]

can you change your pic please. it is disturbing.