Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

southern cross
Banned
Banned

Questions for the LDS

Post #1

Post by southern cross »

Mormons (if this term offends, please let me know) believe that all of us, as souls, chose to be born on earth and experience the trials and tribulations associated with that decision.
Is this true?
Where were our souls when this question was posed?
Was this question posed by god?
Were we in the presence of god at the time?
Was there an alternative?
Are all unborn souls still residing wherever this was?
Is there a finite number of souls, or are more being created?
Is it only Mormons who achieve heaven?
Thank you in advance.

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Re: Questions for the LDS

Post #2

Post by dianaiad »

southern cross wrote: Mormons (if this term offends, please let me know) believe that all of us, as souls, chose to be born on earth and experience the trials and tribulations associated with that decision.
Is this true?
yep.
southern cross wrote:Where were our souls when this question was posed?[/quote

In the 'pre-existence.' We have no clue 'where' that is. With our Father in Heaven, though.
southern cross wrote:Was this question posed by god?
The choice was, yes.
southern cross wrote:Were we in the presence of god at the time?
If not literally, certainly we knew Who was offering. One of those.
southern cross wrote:Was there an alternative?[.quote]

Sure. Not coming.
southern cross wrote:Are all unborn souls still residing wherever this was?
Yep.
southern cross wrote:Is there a finite number of souls, or are more being created?
Dunno. Probably more. Maybe not.
southern cross wrote:Is it only Mormons who achieve heaven?
Nope. Oh, everybody in heaven will be "Mormons," of sorts, because, well.....

Admittance to a pool is not determined by whether one is wet before one dives. However, once you jump, you get wet.

It does seem a bit unfair to bar admittance to heaven for something over which one has no control, doesn't it? I believe that one is judged by what one does with the truth one has, not upon whether one has all the truth.

JohnPaul
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by JohnPaul »

Were these pre-existing souls created before Adam and Eve?

Does the Christian doctrine of Original Sin have any effect on them?

Is their birth on earth random, or do they have a choice of when and where they are born, who their parents are, etc

Do they already have individual personalities before birth? Does this pre-existing personality determine their personality on earth?

If their birth body dies young or at birth, do they get a second chance on earth?

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by dianaiad »

JohnPaul wrote: Were these pre-existing souls created before Adam and Eve?
Yep.
JohnPaul wrote:Does the Christian doctrine of Original Sin have any effect on them?
We don't believe in original sin. Our second article of faith goes thusly:

"We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression. "
JohnPaul wrote:Is their birth on earth random, or do they have a choice of when and where they are born, who their parents are, etc
Dunno that. Some say yes, some say no; there is some evidence that certain people are slated for certain groups, but...who knows why?
JohnPaul wrote:Do they already have individual personalities before birth?
If we could make a decision regarding our COMING here, it would seem that we were capable of thinking for ourselves...which rather indicates personality, yeah.
JohnPaul wrote: Does this pre-existing personality determine their personality on earth?
Probably, a little bit, anyway. Why wouldn't it? physical genetics does, culture does...why not that?
JohnPaul wrote:If their birth body dies young or at birth, do they get a second chance on earth?
We believe that infants and children who die before they become accountable for their actions (oh, yeah, and those who are NEVER fully accountable for them) go straight home to our Father in Heaven.

I don't know what happens to those souls whose bodies are aborted before birth...but just in case, we have a real problem with that. Abortion, that is.

JohnPaul
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JohnPaul »

dianaiad wrote:
We believe that infants and children who die before they become accountable for their actions (oh, yeah, and those who are NEVER fully accountable for them) go straight home to our Father in Heaven.

I don't know what happens to those souls whose bodies are aborted before birth...but just in case, we have a real problem with that. Abortion, that is.
Does the soul enter the fetus before brain functions have developed?
How does the soul interact with the physical body?
Does the soul retain a "mind" and memories separate from what is perceived by the brain?
Does the soul actually reside within the body, or does it operate by remote control?
Can the soul communicate with other souls while within the body?

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by dianaiad »

JohnPaul wrote: dianaiad wrote:

Does the soul enter the fetus before brain functions have developed?
Dunno. Possibly.
JohnPaul wrote:How does the soul interact with the physical body?
Now, how on earth would I know that?
JohnPaul wrote:Does the soul retain a "mind" and memories separate from what is perceived by the brain?
Well, yeah. We'd about have to, wouldn't we?
JohnPaul wrote:Does the soul actually reside within the body, or does it operate by remote control?
Dunno that either, but...in all seriousness, 'reside within,' makes more sense.
JohnPaul wrote:Can the soul communicate with other souls while within the body?
Sure.

Open your mouth and talk.

JohnPaul
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JohnPaul »

dianaiad wrote:
JohnPaul wrote:
Sure.

I meant, can it communicate over long distances, outside of perception by the brain? Is it limited to only our "now" point in time? What God-like properties does it already have when it arrives here?

scourge99
Guru

Post #8

Post by scourge99 »

southern cross wrote: Is it only Mormons who achieve heaven?
Thank you in advance.
Mormons believe in different levels of heaven. If you were a good Mormon during your life then you get the highest level of heaven where you become godlike.

Other levels of heaven are for non mormons but supposedly even these levels of heaven are unimaginable better than the best earthly life has to offer.

Mormons believe that after you die you are taught and shown the truth of their beliefs. Only if you reject it in both your life and afterlife are you consigned to "the outer darkness" which is some type of vague but unpleasant place. Its quite difficult to get into.

Don't forget to ask about (1) the magic underwear and (2)the secret hand signs so you can get into heaven. (they aren't allowed to talk about the hand signs).
Religion remains the only mode of discourse that encourages grown men and women to pretend to know things they manifestly do not know.

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by dianaiad »

JohnPaul wrote: dianaiad wrote:
JohnPaul wrote:
Sure.

I meant, can it communicate over long distances, outside of perception by the brain? Is it limited to only our "now" point in time? What God-like properties does it already have when it arrives here?
Are you talking about telepathy...and perhaps, dowsing? ;)

Nah. I think that any and all such things, when and if they exist, are attributable to the actions of our physical selves.

But we are now getting into the realm of purest speculation here. Fun as it is, none of it is 'dogma' or even 'doctrine,' "We haven't got a clue" is a perfectly acceptable answer to a great many things.

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by dianaiad »

scourge99 wrote:
southern cross wrote: Is it only Mormons who achieve heaven?
Thank you in advance.
Mormons believe in different levels of heaven. If you were a good Mormon during your life then you get the highest level of heaven where you become godlike.

Other levels of heaven are for non mormons but supposedly even these levels of heaven are unimaginable better than the best earthly life has to offer.

Mormons believe that after you die you are taught and shown the truth of their beliefs. Only if you reject it in both your life and afterlife are you consigned to "the outer darkness" which is some type of vague but unpleasant place. Its quite difficult to get into.
Not bad. Until that last paragraph. THAT'S not what gets you confined to 'outer darkness,' In order to qualify (and you are correct, it ain't easy to do) you have to know...as in 'absolute knowledge' the way you know that the bridge just held you up, that God is, and that the Holy Ghost is 'telling you true."

Then you have to, pretty much, spit in His eye. You have to say, in essence...yeah, yeah, I know You are real, I know everything you are teaching is true, and I don't want any part of it, bye bye. Then you head the other direction.

Nobody PUTS you there. You go there all by yourself because you have chosen to go there. You can, I imagine, figure out that this wouldn't happen very often.

Don't forget to ask about (1) the magic underwear and (2)the secret hand signs so you can get into heaven. (they aren't allowed to talk about the hand signs).[/quote]