Polygamists who call themselves "fundamentalist Mormons

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

officer2002
Student

Polygamists who call themselves "fundamentalist Mormons

Post #1

Post by officer2002 »

Following the living prophet is a fundamental belief of Mormonism. From day one we had a living prophet.
Polygamy is not a fundamental belief. Polygamy was not practiced until more than ten years after our founding.
Polygamists are not fundamentalist Mormons. Would you be disturbed if I call myself a fundamentalist fundamentalist Mormon.

YahDough
Under Probation

Re: Polygamists who call themselves "fundamentalist Mor

Post #2

Post by YahDough »

officer2002 wrote: Following the living prophet is a fundamental belief of Mormonism. From day one we had a living prophet.
Polygamy is not a fundamental belief. Polygamy was not practiced until more than ten years after our founding.
Polygamists are not fundamentalist Mormons. Would you be disturbed if I call myself a fundamentalist fundamentalist Mormon.
No. There's no sense for both of us to be disturbed. :)

But I am curious that you seem to think Joseph Smith was a prophet.

Jesus said a prophet must perish in Jerusalem.
Lk:13:33: Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by sleepyhead »

officer2002 wrote: Following the living prophet is a fundamental belief of Mormonism. From day one we had a living prophet.
No it wouldn't bother me. With regards to following a living prophet while it is a fundamental belief of Mormonism, it isn't a fundamental belief of the BOM. Lehi was a prophet. When obtaining an interpretation of Lehi's dream the message was to cling ot the iron rod, which would have been the written law, and not the instructions of Lehi.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

officer2002
Student

Post #4

Post by officer2002 »

YahDough wrote:
No. There's no sense for both of us to be disturbed. :)

But I am curious that you seem to think Joseph Smith was a prophet.

Jesus said a prophet must perish in Jerusalem.
Lk:13:33: Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem.
Are you a polygamist? I was hoping for a polygamist to respond.
Nevertheless here are some more thoughts. I am disturbed (not angered or neutral) because they are claiming a connection to us that does not exist and confusing the general public. I was thinking about this recently because I had watched the following YouTube video .

officer2002
Student

Post #5

Post by officer2002 »

sleepyhead wrote:
No it wouldn't bother me. With regards to following a living prophet while it is a fundamental belief of Mormonism, it isn't a fundamental belief of the BOM. Lehi was a prophet. When obtaining an interpretation of Lehi's dream the message was to cling ot the iron rod, which would have been the written law, and not the instructions of Lehi.
The iron rod is the word of God. The word of God includes the words of the living prophets.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Nickman »

Polygamy is not a fundamental belief today for the mainstream LDS Church but it was principle in the church's beginning. It is also still principle in the Celestial Kingdom.

Brigham Young
"If you desire with all your hearts to obtain the blessings which Abraham obtained, you will be polygamists at least in your faith, or you will come short of enjoying the salvation and the glory which Abraham has obtained." JD 11:268-69.

Apostle Joseph F. Smith taught in 1878:
There is a great deal said about our plural marriage... It is a principle that pertains to eternal life, in other words, to endless lives, or eternal increase. It is a law of the Gospel pertaining to the celestial kingdom, applicable to all gospel dispensations, when commanded and not otherwise, and neither acceptable to God or binding on man unless given by commandment, not only so given in this dispensation, but particularly adapted to the conditions and necessities thereof, and to the circumstances, responsibilities, and personal, as well as vicarious duties of the people of God in this age of the world.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by sleepyhead »

officer2002 wrote:
The iron rod is the word of God. The word of God includes the words of the living prophets.
If the word of God also includes what the "living prophets" say then what is the mist of darkness referring to? It seems to me that the mist would be all new refelations which doesn't conform to the teachings of Moses.

"1 Nephi 8:23": 23 And it came to pass that there arose a mist of darkness; yea, even an exceedingly
great mist of darkness, insomuch that they who had commenced in the path did lose their way, that they
wandered off and were lost.
"1 Nephi 8:24": 24 And it came to pass that I beheld others pressing forward, and they came forth and
caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press forward through the mist of darkness,
clinging to the rod of iron, even until they did come forth and partake of the fruit of the tree.
"1 Nephi 8:24": 24 And it came to pass that I beheld others pressing forward, and they came forth and
caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press forward through the mist of darkness,
clinging to the rod of iron, even until they did come forth and partake of the fruit of the tree.

help3434
Guru

Post #8

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 1 by officer2002]

The FLDS also believe in following the prophet. Their prophet is a whack job named Warren Jeffs rather than Thomas S. Monson.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello

Please disregard my earlier posts on this thread. I shouldn't have posted them. This isn't a debate forum.

help3434
Guru

Post #10

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 4 by officer2002]

I doubt that there are Mormon polygamists on this board.