Question for Christians ...

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Question for Christians ...

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

I would like someone to recommend to me a really good book of Christian Apologetics. Surely someone can do better than Josh McDowell's Evidence Demands A Verdict.

LightGrenade04

Re: Question for Christians ...

Post #31

Post by LightGrenade04 »

McCulloch wrote:I would like someone to recommend to me a really good book of Christian Apologetics. Surely someone can do better than Josh McDowell's Evidence Demands A Verdict.
Theology (what Christianity actually is [read: non-fundamentalism])

The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church - Vladimir Lossky

The Orthodox Way - Kallistos Ware

Foundations of Christian Faith - Karl Rahner

On Christian Theology - Rowan Williams

God: A Guide for the Perplexed - Keith Ward

Theology of Hope - Jürgen Moltmann

Systematic Theology: Volume 1, 2, 3 - Wolfhart Pannenberg

Philosophy of Religion

The Complete C.S. Lewis Signature Classics - C.S. Lewis

Perceiving God: The Epistemology of Religious Experience - William Alston

Epistemic Justification - Richard Swinburne

God and Other Minds - Alvin Plantinga

The Nature of Necessity - Alvin Plantinga

The Existence of God - Richard Swinburne

Universes - John Leslie

The Divine Attributes - Joshua Hoffman & Gary Rosenkrantz

Eternal God - Paul Helm

God, Freedom, and Evil - Alvin Plantinga

Providence and the Problem of Evil - Richard Swinburne

An Essay on Free Will - Peter van Inwagen

The Emergent Self - William Hasker

Revelation: From Metaphor to Analogy - Richard Swinburne

Models of Revelation Avery Robert Cardinal Dulles

Science and Theology

Rebuilding the Matrix - Denis Alexander

Perspectives on an Evolving Creation - Keith B. Miller (editor)

Dawkins' God: Genes, Memes, and the Meaning of Life - Alister McGrath

God, Chance and Necessity - Keith Ward

Belief in God in an Age of Science - John Polkinghorne

Biblical and Church History

An Introduction to the New Testament - Raymond E. Brown

The New Testament and the People of God - N.T. Wright

Jesus and the Victory of God - N.T. Wright

The Resurrection of the Son of God - N.T. Wright

A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus - John P. Meier

The Historical Reliability of the Gospels - Craig Blomberg

What Did the Biblical Writers Know and When Did They Know It? - William Dever

Jesus Outside the New Testament - Robert Van Voorst

Church History in Plain Language - Bruce L. Shelley

The Missing Gospels: Unearthing the Truth Behind Alternative Christianities - Darrell L. Bock

Ok, I think that's good for now. :D

Dale
Student

Book Recommendation

Post #32

Post by Dale »

I read Grant Jeffery's The Signature of God and thought it was very well done and approached Apologetics from numerous areas of the field.

https://ww2.micahtek.com/nexolive/nShop ... N=58536867

You may also purchase a DVD of The Signature of God. It's well done in a documentary fashion but does not go as in-depth as the book does.

I hope you find this helpful,

Dale

Goose

Post #33

Post by Goose »

McCulloch wrote:I would like someone to recommend to me a really good book of Christian Apologetics. Surely someone can do better than Josh McDowell's Evidence Demands A Verdict.
I've got this book sitting on my desk. It's a good general resource, but I think it's poorly formatted and written.

Have you read anything by Habermas? Personally, I think he's one of the better ones. I like his approach in that he tends to revolve his arguments around the historical "facts" that liberal and even skeptical scholars will allow.

Fisherking

Post #34

Post by Fisherking »

Can Man Live Without God, Ravi Zacharias

One of the most polite and knowledgable Christian apologists I have come across O:)

Catharsis

Post #35

Post by Catharsis »

McCulloch, try "Orthodox Psychotherapy". Most of the book can be read online:
http://www.vic.com/~tscon/pelagia/htm/b ... apy.00.htm

john_anthony_gonzalez
Student

Post #36

Post by john_anthony_gonzalez »

The barbarian way, its a great book to get you on fire for Christ.

The only bad thing is that the authors theology is a bit off so he talks about how he literally hears God's voice and it sounds like his in his head.

But like i said the purpose of the book is still their

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #37

Post by McCulloch »

john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:The only bad thing is that the authors theology is a bit off so he talks about how he literally hears God's voice and it sounds like his in his head.
Why shouldn't God communicate directly with people? He used to apparently.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

arayhay
Sage

Post #38

Post by arayhay »

v_octane wrote:i recommend the Bible.

as for defending Christianity and its theology, the truth defends itself. God doesn't really require anybody to try to defend Him or His Word. you just have to refer to the truth, His Word, and that will be all that you need to keep your faith growing in Him. other peoples ideas of how to defend Christianity are only their own reasonings, and if some other person who is non-Christian finds a fault in them, then this person's view on Christianity will be totally negative. if you use the Bible as your foundation instead of your own logic, your words will never have fault.

i'm not saying that the Bible is totally illogical, but i am saying that man's logic is not always trustworthy.

but this is only my opinion.

may God bless you...
I would suggest; Copernicus and the Jews / the church and the Jews both by daniel grubber.

john_anthony_gonzalez
Student

Post #39

Post by john_anthony_gonzalez »

McCulloch wrote:
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:The only bad thing is that the authors theology is a bit off so he talks about how he literally hears God's voice and it sounds like his in his head.
Why shouldn't God communicate directly with people? He used to apparently.
Because the way God communicates now is through the Holy spirit and through his word. The reason God used to communicate in person in the OT because believers did not receive the Holy Spirit or the Bible Yet. In the old testament not every believer had access to God 24/7 and this was because of sin. For example, the most holiest place in the tabernacle, a person had to be clean and free from sin for at least 3 days or else the would die if they stepped into the most holy place, or unless they were moses or people choses specifically by God. The Gospels are still considered OT. But at the moment of Christ death that changed we now that 24/7 access to God through the spirit

So if i heard God's voice in the shower telling me that i need to kill my kids i wouldn't do because this is contrary through God's word.

Rev 22:18
Here it warns of adding to Gods word, adding to Gods word would be considered telling people that he said or listening to the voices in your head and saying that's God

is this enough to justify what i'm saying or should i get more verses

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #40

Post by McCulloch »

McCulloch wrote:Why shouldn't God communicate directly with people? He used to apparently.
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:Because the way God communicates now is through the Holy spirit and through his word.
That does not answer the question. Why would God communicate exclusively through the Holy Spirit and the Bible? Is the Bible all of God's word, or if God spoke directly, would that not also be God's word? If God, the Holy Spirit, communicated directly with you, how would that be different than God communicating directly with you?
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:The reason God used to communicate in person in the OT because believers did not receive the Holy Spirit or the Bible Yet.
Isn't the Holy Spirit a person? So God communicating to you as the Holy Spirit, would be communicating to you in person.
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:In the old testament not every believer had access to God 24/7 and this was because of sin. For example, the most holiest place in the tabernacle, a person had to be clean and free from sin for at least 3 days or else the would die if they stepped into the most holy place, or unless they were moses or people choses specifically by God. The Gospels are still considered OT. But at the moment of Christ death that changed we now that 24/7 access to God through the spirit
Or would that be at His resurrection? or was it when the Holy Spirit first descended on the believers?
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:So if i heard God's voice in the shower telling me that i need to kill my kids i wouldn't do because this is contrary through God's word.
How would you know?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John