Question for Christians ...

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Question for Christians ...

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

I would like someone to recommend to me a really good book of Christian Apologetics. Surely someone can do better than Josh McDowell's Evidence Demands A Verdict.

john_anthony_gonzalez
Student

Post #41

Post by john_anthony_gonzalez »

McCulloch wrote:
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:The only bad thing is that the authors theology is a bit off so he talks about how he literally hears God's voice and it sounds like his in his head.
Why shouldn't God communicate directly with people? He used to apparently.
God still talks to us today, but the thing is... he speaks really really softly. And to amplify his voice we must read the bible.

The reason it amplifies his voice is because the Bible is inspired by God. Paul wrote to Timothy, “ All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.” (2 Tim 3:16,17) This cannot be said of other books. The world abounds with books, many of them religious in character, but to the Bible alone belongs this distinction, that God has inspired it, and speaks in it.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #42

Post by bernee51 »

john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:The only bad thing is that the authors theology is a bit off so he talks about how he literally hears God's voice and it sounds like his in his head.
Why shouldn't God communicate directly with people? He used to apparently.
God still talks to us today, but the thing is... he speaks really really softly. And to amplify his voice we must read the bible.

The reason it amplifies his voice is because the Bible is inspired by God. Paul wrote to Timothy, “ All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.” (2 Tim 3:16,17) This cannot be said of other books. The world abounds with books, many of them religious in character, but to the Bible alone belongs this distinction, that God has inspired it, and speaks in it.
So you claim the bible is 'inspired by god' because Paul told Timothy? Paul said a lot of things - some of them positively misanthropic. I don't hink I would trust him on thsi. Any other reasons - other than biblical (for some reason begging the question just doesn't cut it)- that hold that the bible is 'inspired by god'?
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #43

Post by McCulloch »

john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:The reason it amplifies his voice is because the Bible is inspired by God. Paul wrote to Timothy, “ All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.” (2 Tim 3:16,17) This cannot be said of other books. The world abounds with books, many of them religious in character, but to the Bible alone belongs this distinction, that God has inspired it, and speaks in it.
What scripture did Paul mean? At the time Paul (or whoever used Paul's name) wrote his letter what is known as the New Testament had not been completed.

The Bible is not the only book that religious leaders have claimed to have been inspired directly by God. It is just the Christian's holy book.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

arayhay
Sage

Post #44

Post by arayhay »

What scripture did Paul mean? At the time Paul (or whoever used Paul's name) wrote his letter what is known as the New Testament had not been completed.
Paul meant the Tanakh. he never thought he was writing scripture.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #45

Post by McCulloch »

john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:The reason it amplifies his voice is because the Bible is inspired by God. Paul wrote to Timothy, “ All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.” (2 Tim 3:16,17) This cannot be said of other books. The world abounds with books, many of them religious in character, but to the Bible alone belongs this distinction, that God has inspired it, and speaks in it.
McCulloch wrote:What scripture did Paul mean? At the time Paul (or whoever used Paul's name) wrote his letter what is known as the New Testament had not been completed.

The Bible is not the only book that religious leaders have claimed to have been inspired directly by God. It is just the Christian's holy book.
arayhay wrote:Paul meant the Tanakh. he never thought he was writing scripture.
But almost all Christians I have met, say that based on this passage, they believe that the twenty-six writings of the New Testament are inspired by God. Are the Christians wrong?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

arayhay
Sage

Post #46

Post by arayhay »

McCulloch wrote:
McCulloch wrote:What scripture did Paul mean? At the time Paul (or whoever used Paul's name) wrote his letter what is known as the New Testament had not been completed.

arayhay wrote:Paul meant the Tanakh. he never thought he was writing scripture.
But almost all Christians I have met, say that based on this passage, they believe that the twenty-six writings of the New Testament are inspired by God. Are the Christians wrong?

So what. they could be wrong if they are using it to substantiate a doctrine that's not in there.

I don't see them as scripture in the normal sense. more later gatta go.

arayhay
Sage

Post #47

Post by arayhay »

[/quote]

So what. they could be wrong if they are using it to substantiate a doctrine that's not in there. Anyone, even me, is wrong to use the scripture's to support something that isn't there to begin with.

I don't see them as scripture in the normal sense. more later gatta go.[/quote][/quote]

I would say that the scriptures are what YHVH says to mankind, the Tanakh most certainly fill the bill here. As for the so called nt, or what i call the apostolic writings,
i would say that the authors are lead by the Holy Spirit of Yah and speaking of what He has done and will do in their life's. so i would call it divinely inspired.

If i want to start to see if the scriptures are true, or consistent, I must start with the very foundation. The Torah. Iff that crumbles under inspection i have no need to go any farther.

But if it stands up to the test, then i can move on with confidence.

Catharsis

Post #48

Post by Catharsis »

>>>I would like someone to recommend to me a really good book of Christian Apologetics.<<<

The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

ST_JB
Scholar

Re: Question for Christians ...

Post #49

Post by ST_JB »

McCulloch wrote:I would like someone to recommend to me a really good book of Christian Apologetics. Surely someone can do better than Josh McDowell's Evidence Demands A Verdict.
Handbook of Christian Apologetics by Peter Kreeft and Fr. Ronald Tacelli, SJ (Intervarsity Press 1994)
A modern classic that covers the basic apologetic issues, answers to hundreds of questions and objections from non-Christians and atheists in the Summa format of St. Thomas Aquinas, covers faith and reason, the existence of God, the problem of evil, the divinity of Christ and His Resurrection, the Bible, life after death, Christianity and other religions -- more rigorous and convincing than Evangelical apologists such as Josh McDowell

ivansayer
Student

Re: Question for Christians ...

Post #50

Post by ivansayer »

McCulloch wrote:I would like someone to recommend to me a really good book of Christian Apologetics. Surely someone can do better than Josh McDowell's Evidence Demands A Verdict.
Hi McC
I'll weigh in with my suggestions. If you're into the old-fashioned but solid stuff - like 'Mere Christianity', I would also suggest you take a look at J. S. Whale's books 'Christian Doctrine' and 'Facing the Facts'.
Ivan