Question for church members

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Support for the orphans?

Yes, our church has a regular budget for widows and orphans
No votes
No, churches don't do that kind of thing. That's what we have insurance for. Right?
50%
Other, please elaborate
50%

Total votes: 2

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Question for church members

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

Imagine that you were married with dependant children and either you or your spouse (the one with the higher income) were to die or incapable of working, would you expect your church to support your children?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #2

Post by OnceConvinced »

I know of no church who would financially support orphans within their congregation.

Having said that the last church I was a part of funded a missionary outreach in Thailand. The couple would rescue kids who were being sold into sexual slavery by their parents by purchasing the children themselves and providing a kind of orphanage home for them.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

janavoss
Apprentice

Re: Question for church members

Post #3

Post by janavoss »

[Replying to post 1 by McCulloch]

Our church has a regular budget for benevolence for church members that is separate from the budget for community service/benevolence outside of the church.
It's not designated only for orphans and widows, it's for any financial need within the congregation. We as a church have not experienced the specific situation you describe, but yes, I would expect that the church would step in to help if something like that happened.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

Hi Janavoss, the church I was just talking about also had a similar fund. When people were in difficulties and needed a little cash injection the church would help out, however it was never meant as a continuous thing. It would never be used to say support an orphan for a long period. Was yours the same sort of thing?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

janavoss
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by janavoss »

OnceConvinced wrote: Hi Janavoss, the church I was just talking about also had a similar fund. When people were in difficulties and needed a little cash injection the church would help out, however it was never meant as a continuous thing. It would never be used to say support an orphan for a long period. Was yours the same sort of thing?
Most financial help is to cover a short term need, yes. But we have had a few long term situations where the church provided help as long as it was needed. In the past this has meant financial help from the church along with individual members stepping in - buying groceries, giving rides or even a car, providing a place to live, whatever it took for as long as the need was there.
As I said before, we have not experienced the specific situation presented in this thread, so it's hard to say exactly how that would play out. Based on history I feel confident saying that the church would help in the ways I mentioned above, with the ultimate goal of helping the family get into a more permanent solution, whatever that might mean for them. But the help would be there as long as there was a need. We would never just abandon someone.