Question for one who follows Judaism

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Question for one who follows Judaism

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

I understand that from a Jewish perspective, Gentiles are only required to follow the 7 Noahide laws. My question is, if one follows the Ten Commandments, does one fulfill the laws of Noah?

It seems to me that the Ten Commandments, though meant originally and specifically for the Hebrew people, have a universal application. So it seems to me that the answer would be "yes" that one can fulfill the Noahide laws if one strives to observe the Ten Commandments, and thus be a "Righteous Gentile" or a "God Fearer".

There seems to be a lot of overlap between the two sets of law, but I'm not sure I understand what the prohibition against "eating the limb off a live animal" means. I mean, who does that?!

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Question for one who follows Judaism

Post #11

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 10 by Nickman]

Universal for the Western world, for whom the Judaeo-Christian philosophy is foundational for a majority of non-secular people. Most practicing Jews and Christians worship Jehovah, and Christians observe their own Sabbath on Sundays, for the most part. (I know, I know, we also live in a Greco-Roman culture and we derive much of our law and outlook from their philosophy as well.) But I grant you, the particular commandments that you cited are not universal or foundational for the secular legal system, they are religous.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Nickman »

Elijah John wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Nickman]

Universal for the Western world, for whom the Judaeo-Christian philosophy is foundational for a majority of non-secular people. Most practicing Jews and Christians worship Jehovah, and Christians observe their own Sabbath on Sundays, for the most part. (I know, I know, we also live in a Greco-Roman culture and we derive much of our law and outlook from their philosophy as well.) But I grant you, the particular commandments that you cited are not universal or foundational for the secular legal system, they are religous.
You said;
It seems to me that the Ten Commandments, though meant originally and specifically for the Hebrew people, have a universal application.
I asked how obeying the Sabbath, having no graven images, and having no other Gods, are universal.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #13

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 12 by Nickman]

Read the last sentence of my previous post.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Nickman »

Elijah John wrote: [Replying to post 12 by Nickman]

Read the last sentence of my previous post.
My bad. The portion I emboldened was what stuck out to me. But what I saw was a contradiction. In one post you say that the 10 commandments are universal. I showed that three of those commandments are not universal. You came back with an agreement to what I said. Can you see where I am coming from?