Christians: what are your thoughts on the old testament?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

PillarOfSalt

Christians: what are your thoughts on the old testament?

Post #1

Post by PillarOfSalt »

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been attempting to read the Bible for the first time entirely and from the beginning. I know pretty little about the Bible going into it and there is a lot in there that has come as a surprise to me.

I'm only half way through exodus, so I have a long way to go but I wonder if any Christians have read the old testament and what you think about it.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Christians: what are your thoughts on the old testament?

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

[Replying to post 1 by PillarOfSalt]

I am not currently a Christian, but when I was, I did read the entire Old Testament.
A couple of tips:
  • Recognize that the books of the Bible were not written in the order that you find them, so don't expect that reading the Bible from beginning to end will make sense the way that reading a series of novels would. You don't have to start with Genesis necessarily.
  • Get yourself a study guide that will give you a bit of the historic and cultural background for each book. Any good Christian bookseller should be able to recommend one.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Artur Axmann
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Artur Axmann »

For the most part it deals with pimps ,cattle rustlers ,and blasphemers.

cnorman18

Post #4

Post by cnorman18 »

Artur Axmann wrote: [Replying to post 1 by PillarOfSalt]

Care to post evidence for that outrageous assertion? Don't forget to show that "most" of the OT is taken up by such concerns.

And good luck with that.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #5

Post by Overcomer »

I see the OP was posted months ago, but perhaps there are others who are new Christians and wondering about how to approach the Bible. I suggest that beginners start with the Gospels and find out who Jesus is. Then I recommend that they read Acts and all the letters, but NOT Revelation.

At that point, the reader should tackle the Old Testament, reading it from Genesis to Malachi. The Old Testament can only be understand when read from the foot of the cross of Christ. You have to "get" Jesus in order to understand the O.T.

Read Revelation last. It speaks to the future and, again, can only be understood when you grasp the other New Testament books and the Old Testament.

For a good book on how to read the Bible, I recommend Stuart and Fee's How To Read The Bible for All Its Worth. It's meant for everybody, not just Bible scholars.

McCulloch has offered valid advice re: getting a good study Bible. I would also suggest a couple of web sites that offer all kinds of articles answering all kinds of questions:

http://www.gotquestions.org/

https://bible.org/

Enjoy!

stcordova
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by stcordova »

I'm a Christian. For a brief season in my life I was agnostic, and the Old Testament was almost impossible to believe, and even if true many times I didn't want to believe it. The picture it paints of how God interacts with humanity is grim and harsh.

The Bible is one of the hardest things to every read. It is rarely clear, it fragmentary, and the Old Testament (OT) especially goes in to long gory detail of God hurting people in especially cruel ways.

So why do I believe? The Bible seems to be a credible witness of reality. There are surprising historical and scientific facts that seem more to accord with the Bible than any other stream of thought -- it strikes me as inspired by God.

When Jesus arrived on Earth he spoke of the impending judgment. The Old Testament is a picture of God's wrath on people in hell. The Gospel is the promise that those who repent will be spared. The Old Testament shows God's favor on people who didn't deserve his grace. Jacob (Israel) and many of the people in the OT hardly come across as more righteous than anyone else. It speaks of God being faithful to his promise of grace.

You'll be horrified to learn harsh the God of the Old Testament is, but as I pondered it, it was the same God of the New Testament. There were horrific judgments that came upon Jerusalem that aren't recorded in the New Testament, but were prophesied by Jesus.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by ttruscott »

Good morning, good to meet you. I read the whole Book three times back in the day when I was searching for what GOD wanted me to believe. Good luck too as every time you try to read the phone will ring, the cat will need to go in and out 10 tines etc etc so persevere!
PillarOfSalt wrote: Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been attempting to read the Bible for the first time entirely and from the beginning. I know pretty little about the Bible going into it and there is a lot in there that has come as a surprise to me.

I'm only half way through exodus, so I have a long way to go but I wonder if any Christians have read the old testament and what you think about it.
In my opinion it is the word of GOD as much as the New Testament.

Prayerfully meditate on how Jesus as one of the Trinity is one of the Unity called YHWH and this is His back story too. Take it easy on the genealogies, it's ok to skip ahead and redo them later as topics come up. Watch out for Ecclesiastes, it is written from the point of view of a man on earth and so contradicts the Spirit in a way that must be prayerfully managed.

Always keep in mind that the book is not the truth though it contains the truth, but only the interpretation from the Holy Spirit is the truth, that is, don't idolize the book but only use it to draw closer to the Holy Spirit. Seek GOD and you will get the understanding, not the other way around.

:)

Peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by ttruscott »

McCulloch wrote:

[*]Get yourself a study guide that will give you a bit of the historic and cultural background for each book. Any good Christian bookseller should be able to recommend one.
An excellent idea for the SECOND TIME reading it as many contain sectarian bias.

Peace, Ted

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by ttruscott »

Artur Axmann wrote: [Replying to post 1 by PillarOfSalt]

Sounds like family to me...

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

I think that a good many Christians do not understand the Old Testament. It is a book about the Covenant God made with the descendants of Abraham. You will never understand either Testament until you understand this point, that God has a plan for mankind that He has never deviated from, despite our failure.

The New Testament is a covenant made with spiritual descendants of Abraham, the Old Testament was made with physical descendants of Abraham. Lacking the spirit of God, the Children of Israel could not meet the demands of the Covenant they agreed to and signed in blood. (see the book of Hebrews). So the God that Israel dealt with, the Rock (see 1 Cor 10) or Christ, gave up his own status as God, reduced himself to a human being, paid the penalty of Israels breach of contract whereby man could be pardoned from past sins and opened the door to a new covenant with a spirit led Israel (Gal 3:29).

The new testament isn't a new religion, it's a way whereby mankind can still meet the criteria to obtain sonship into the Kingdom of God made possible through the spirit of God made available through the death and sacrifice of Christ.