How did you find out that Christianity was just bull manure?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

trencacloscas
Sage

How did you find out that Christianity was just bull manure?

Post #1

Post by trencacloscas »

This is a question topic applied only to atheists/agnostics in general and former Christians specially.

When and how did you reach the conclusion that Christianity doesn't bear anything sacred or true? I agree with that writer who said "abandoning God and religion was my most priced spiritual adventure". So, how was your personal path to deconversion? What made you suspect it was all fake? How did you cop out with it?

Just for the sake of exchanging vital experiences.. :|
Last edited by trencacloscas on Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sor Eucharist: I need to talk with you, Dr. House. Sister Augustine believes in things that aren’t real.
Dr. Gregory House: I thought that was a job requirement for you people.

(HOUSE MD. Season 1 Episode 5)

Sandycane
Student

Post #2

Post by Sandycane »

edit
Last edited by Sandycane on Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by micatala »

You are correct, sandycane.

Just a reminder for trenc on the rules.
2. Nothing "R" rated is allowed (this includes profanity and anything of sexual nature).

Also, since this thread is aimed at non-theists, I am moving it to the A Room.[/quote]

CJK
Scholar

Post #4

Post by CJK »

I realized Christianity was just bullshit when I had gotten sick and tired of hearing "God works in mysterious ways". I saw that certain things happened and were far from being caused 'by the hand of god'.

I had also realized that if there were a God, he was only playing a sadistic game with everyone's lives.

I was born out of the cult Scientology, so I've witnessed striking similarities between the two, such as Origional Sin and the 'Either your with us, or against us mentality'.
Last edited by CJK on Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QED
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by QED »

Trenc certainly caught peoples attention with the subject title here :shock: Is it me or are we atheists getting just a bit too uptight lately? (Perhaps it's the onset of Christmas :lol: ). Anyway please let's observe the spirit of the forum rules. There's no end of other ways of getting our points across without resorting to such obvious offensives.

Anyway for me when something heralds itself as the truth I get real suspicious. And I also know that just because something is logically consistent it doesn't mean that it's necessarily true. It's pretty obvious really, but it's amazing how many people get suckered by this one. Of course normally we can identify a fiction when its reported links to the world we know are found to be missing. But the trick behind Christianity and other religions is to declare such links to be beyond investigation. That, in my book, is just too darn convenient.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: How did you find out that Christianity was just bullshit

Post #6

Post by McCulloch »

trencacloscas wrote:This is a question topic applied only to former Christians or atheists/agnostics in general.
When and how did you reach the conclusion that Christianity doesn't bear anything sacred or true? I agree with that writer who said "abandoning God and religion was my most priced spiritual adventure". So, how was your personal path to deconversion? What made you suspect it was all fake? How did you cop out with it?
Thanks for cleaning up the language.
It was not easy for me. I had never been confident of spiritual things. So, in order to gain the certainty that others apeared to have, I enrolled in full time Bible college. Two years later, I was certain that the Bible could not possibly be true.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

mrmufin
Scholar

Re: How did you find out that Christianity was just bullshit

Post #7

Post by mrmufin »

trencacloscas wrote:When and how did you reach the conclusion that Christianity doesn't bear anything sacred or true?
Pretty much right outta the gate.

My first brush with anything having to do with God happened when I was about five years old. A friend of mine (same age) told me all about what he'd learned in Sunday School; how God created Earth and Adam and Eve, and the talking serpent, and I was sure he was making it all up. I had never heard anything quite like that before. Besides, my friend already had some credibility issues.

Then I come to find that other kids believed this, too. And their parents. And even my parents believed in God. Was I missing something? Am I blind in at least one eye? I don't get it. Our household copy of the children's bible read just like fiction; er, fantasy: talking serpent, great flood, eden, heaven, hell, a dead body rising... Why does this seem so real to them and so unbelieveable to me?
trencacloscas wrote: So, how was your personal path to deconversion? What made you suspect it was all fake? How did you cop out with it?

At about age 12, during dinner, I asked my parents if an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in God. "Then I guess that's what I am," I told 'em. I had pondered it for a few years, I was aware that other folks have other religious beliefs, and Greeks and Romans and other cultures had bunches of gods, but those gods crapped out when science 'splained it better, or they crapped out when it came time to pony up the dough and deliver some sorta god that can be detected somehow. Within a year of me announcing my atheism my mother became a Born Again. Whoopee!

Regards,
mrmufin

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by micatala »

Sorry to be moving the thread again, but trenc did not really want it in the A Room so it is now in the Questions For section of the Discussion Forum.

Sorry for the confusion! :blink:

Agnostika
Student

Re: How did you find out that Christianity was just bull man

Post #9

Post by Agnostika »

trencacloscas wrote:This is a question topic applied only to atheists/agnostics in general and former Christians specially.

Well it took me along time unfortunately. And I even exhibit my old christian arguments and qualities still in me occasionally. Maybe i'll go back one day if I discover I am wrong or that there is good arguments and evidence for Christianity. I highly doubt it right now though.

I realised when the Jehovah Witnesses and soon after the Mormons started coming to my house. They made almost the exact same claims as me(a christian). Of course they weren't giving me the full picture of there religion. However it was enough to know that every last religion makes identical or similar claims. I even felt there so called "holy spirit". I realised something. If they have a Holy Spirit and my Church has a Holy Spirit, how do I tell which is the true Holy Spirit? Is it by the best feeling? Well sin had good feelings aswell, so I couldn't tell by feelings. When the answer came down to it, the answer was the bible tells me. But then I realised you can interprete the bible numerous amounts of ways(from talking with these people). And some christians say let the Holy Spirit teach you the bible. sigh. But that was the original issue I had. That would be circular. I'm trying to find out which holy spirit is true by reading the bible, yet the christian tells me to use the holy spirit to find out. lol. Which Holy Spirit do I use to interprete the bible? I felt quite a few. So it is a major paradox. I don't lack belief in the supernatural, and I don't mind people who do lack belief in it, the reason why is because they haven't experienced it. If you experience the wind you can't lack belief in it. The same with me and the experiences I had, I can't lack belief in it. What I do lack belief in though is all man made gods. Which is ironically every-god. So does the super natural exist? Yes. Do I know anything about it? Hell no. Anyway I "rationally" lost my faith, which i'm proud of. Now life is pointless, but I will go on and make my own purpose up I suppose.
I am neither a beilever nor disbeliever, I am ignorant. ~ Agnostika

Columbus
Student

Post #10

Post by Columbus »

It was when I was in grade school. A sweet old Catholic nun tried to explain to the class that 1+1+1=1, under certain faith based circumstances. I was not, however, allowed to use faith to improve my math homework scores. And I was still sinful, even though Jesus had died for my sins and I was only 7 or 8. I came to the conclusion that she was making all this up. Finding out that other grown ups also believed this made me realize the limitations of the human situation. My really smart Dad and really wise Mom actually believed this nonsense. I still believed in them, but not their religion.

Fortunately we were Catholics. No-one ever asked me what I believed. They only asked me what I had been taught to say. I had no trouble acing tests as long as the quesion was "What are you assumed to believe?"

Tom