Former Atheists - What convinced you?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Former Atheists - What convinced you?

Post #1

Post by rikuoamero »

What I'm writing here is for those people who consider themselves to be former atheist i.e. at one point in life, they either lacked a belief in a god of any kind, or actively disbelieved there is a God (there's a difference between the two).
I'm hoping that at least some people who are of this group (and hopefully joined the usergroup called 'Former Atheist' on this site) are/were also skeptical, in that they demanded evidence for religious claims.

My question is - What is it that convinced you? If you were to somehow go back in time and meet your previous, atheist (hopefully skeptic) self, would you or could you use whatever it is that convinced you to convince that version of you? Or would your past self be skeptical and dismissive of what it is you present?

Just to be clear - This isn't restricted to Christians only. You can be a Muslim who considers him/herself former atheist or whatever religion or belief you subscribe to. I want to hear from you.
I also promise NOT to debate in this thread. All I want are responses and your thoughts on this question. I will probably debate elsewhere, but not on this thread. This thread is solely for me to gather information.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #2

Post by rikuoamero »

Bump. I'm going back through my old threads, and I noticed this wasn't answered in 2015. Maybe someone will answer in 2018?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: Former Atheists - What convinced you?

Post #3

Post by 2timothy316 »

Have you ever heard of Antony Flew?
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/maga ... lew-t.html
He was convinced by science.
Do a Google search and look up some of his videos. I actually use his reasoning when debating atheists.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:24 pm Have you ever heard of Antony Flew?
Do a Google search and look up some of his videos. I actually use his reasoning when debating atheists.
I hope when you do so you admit the fact that Antony Flew's reasoning does not support a personal god and certainly not the Christian version of God.
"While reason, mainly in the form of arguments to design, assures us that there is a God, there is no room either for any supernatural revelation of that God or for any transactions between that God and individual human beings"

- Antony Flew

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_Fl ... n_to_deism
Antony Flew converted to Deism and remained highly opposed to Christianity.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Edward85

Post #5

Post by Edward85 »

I find it interesting when I read that someone has turned practically 180 degrees from not believing in any spirit to devoting his or her life to religion. What actually made them change so drastically? In my case my parents are atheists and don't believe in any afterlife. Me, as still an atheist, have read through plenty of religions and holy books. I've even read the Satanic Bible out of curiosity (since I also listen to metal) to have a full comparison. In my opinion, all religions have similar values, themes and are alike. I don't have to be religious to be a good person. I don't have any proof to devote my life to religion. Since this doesn't make my life better or doesn't make me any better, then why care? I respect other people's beliefs as long as they respect mine. I'm still open minded, but I don't believe anything can change my view on this subject.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by 2timothy316 »

Tcg wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:30 pm
"While reason, mainly in the form of arguments to design, assures us that there is a God, there is no room either for any supernatural revelation of that God or for any transactions between that God and individual human beings"

- Antony Flew

Tcg
Even that changed.
https://digitalcommons.liberty.edu/cgi/ ... s_fac_pubs
"HABERMAS: C. S. Lewis explained in his autobiography that he moved first from atheism to theism and only later from theism to Christianity. Given your great respect for Christianity, do you think that there is any chance that you might in the end move from theism to Christianity?
FLEW: I think it's very unlikely, due to the problem of evil. But, if it did happen, I think it would be in some eccentric fit and doubtfully orthodox fonn: regular religious practice perhaps but without belief. If I wanted any sort of future life I should become a Jehovah's Witness. But some things I am completely confident about. I would never regard Islam with anything but hOlTor and fear because it is fundamentally committed to conquering the world for Islam. It was because the whole of Palestine was part of the Land of Islam that Muslim Arab annies moved in to tlY to destroy Israel at birth, and why the struggle for the return of the still surviving refugees and their numerous descendents continue to this day.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by 2timothy316 »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:36 am
Tcg wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:30 pm

- Antony Flew

Tcg
Even that was starting to change has he gave it more thought. He died only a few years after his turn around.
https://digitalcommons.liberty.edu/cgi/ ... s_fac_pubs
"HABERMAS: C. S. Lewis explained in his autobiography that he moved first from atheism to theism and only later from theism to Christianity. Given your great respect for Christianity, do you think that there is any chance that you might in the end move from theism to Christianity?
FLEW: I think it's very unlikely, due to the problem of evil. But, if it did happen, I think it would be in some eccentric fit and doubtfully orthodox fonn: regular religious practice perhaps but without belief. If I wanted any sort of future life I should become a Jehovah's Witness. But some things I am completely confident about. I would never regard Islam with anything but hOlTor and fear because it is fundamentally committed to conquering the world for Islam. It was because the whole of Palestine was part of the Land of Islam that Muslim Arab annies moved in to tlY to destroy Israel at birth, and why the struggle for the return of the still surviving refugees and their numerous descendents continue to this day.
I think he was on the right track IMO.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by 2timothy316 »

Edward85 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:57 am Since this doesn't make my life better or doesn't make me any better, then why care?
This is quite common thinking for people raised Baptist, Catholic etc etc. They see no reason to change because they don't think it will improve their life or afterlife so they are fine with the life they have.

Kylie
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by Kylie »

What was his reasoning?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by 2timothy316 »

Kylie wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:07 am
What was his reasoning?
Quoting from the article in my post.

"Richard Ostling of The Associated Press wrote. “He now believes in God — more or less — based on scientific evidence and says so on a video released Thursday. At age 81, after decades of insisting belief is a mistake, Antony Flew has concluded that some sort of intelligence or first cause must have created the universe. A superintelligence is the only good explanation for the origin of life and the complexity of nature, Flew said in a telephone interview from England.”

Many former atheist including myself, when faced with the evidence of abiogenesis/Spontaneous Generation vs superintelligent creator, we had to swallow the hard truth that there is no evidence of abiogenesis/Spontaneous Generation. Abiogenesis has never ever been observed in nature. However, there is plenty of evidence of life coming from intelligent lifeforms. If a person simply wants to follow evidence where ever it takes them like Mr Flew, then the decision tips toward life coming from intelligent creation.