What was Jesus Christ Race?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Beyonder
Student

What was Jesus Christ Race?

Post #1

Post by Beyonder »

In the bible it stated his skin was "Bronze" and I'm not stupid about this.

puddleglum
Sage

Re: What was Jesus Christ Race?

Post #2

Post by puddleglum »

Beyonder wrote: In the bible it stated his skin was "Bronze" and I'm not stupid about this.
Where does the Bible say this?

Jesus was a member of the human race. We are all the descendants of Adam and Eve and the concept that we are divided into different races on the basis of certain physical characteristics is a human idea that has no basis in fact. Jesus was a Jew so if you want some idea of what his physical appearance might have been just look at the Jews you come in contact with.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Man_With_A_Plan
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Man_With_A_Plan »

I once heard a black minister on tv discuss racism in his state. His message was something along the lines that, because Jesus lived in the middle east, which is right in the middle of Europe, Asia, and Africa, He was a mix of everything! :D

People have historically depicted Jesus and other Biblical figures according to whatever the locals look like. In Ethiopia, icons show a dark Jesus. In Japan, statues of the Virgin Mary sometimes look Asian.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #4

Post by onewithhim »

Beyonder wrote: In the bible it stated his skin was "Bronze" and I'm not stupid about this.
Where does it say this?

Anyway, Jesus was a Jew, and so probably had dark full-bodied hair and dark eyes, and his skin was certainly more bronzed than "white" because he walked in the sun continually.

Talishi
Guru

Post #5

Post by Talishi »

Man_With_A_Plan wrote: People have historically depicted Jesus and other Biblical figures according to whatever the locals look like. In Ethiopia, icons show a dark Jesus. In Japan, statues of the Virgin Mary sometimes look Asian.
I wonder why the race of Jesus would matter to some folks. Would it make his message questionable if he didn't look like that blue eyed dreamboat Jeffrey Hunter who depicted him in King of Kings?
Thank you for playing Debating Christianity & Religion!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Beyonder]

Race is different from colour. Jesus was Jewish, Jews from Palestine were usually olive skinned; not pale skinned white but not dark skinned black.

Are you getting the "bronze" reference from Revelation?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8