Never really thought about it
No votes

Total votes: 5

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Question for Christians

Post #1

Post by rikuoamero »

While the forum was down, I found this question elsewhere (can't remember where, else I'd give a link).
The gist of the question is: you follow/worship God but are there any issues where you believe God says one way, but you honestly believe the correct answer is another?
To give context, let's say you vote for Politician A. He stands for Political Issues A, B C, all of which you agree with. However, he also stands for Issue D, which you don't...however you don't let that stop you, you vote for him anyway.
Or to give personal context - I wholeheartedly agree with Divine Insight on most issues. However, I do not agree with him on the topic of Eastern religions...mainly because I've never really explored or studied said religions and so have no basis to say yay or nay on the topic.
Do you follow God but disagree to a greater or lesser degree on one topic or another?

I'd like Christians only to reply. No I will not debate in this thread, just want to see if there are any such Christians.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by ttruscott »

I used to disagree with HIM on everything. Later, only on a few key issues. Now, not so much disagreement about anything as He has proven HIMself as superior to me in all things.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

tam
Savant

Post #3

Post by tam »

The answer to your question, for me, is no. Disagreeing with Him would be disagreeing with love and with truth.

Disagreeing with what men say God wants, does, etc... that is another matter, with an entirely different answer ; )

Peace to you Rik,
your servant, and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

tam wrote: Disagreeing with what men say God wants, does, etc... that is another matter, with an entirely different answer ; )
Just wondering if that includes what the Bible Says God wants, does, etc.?

As an example, the Bible has God commanding men to judge each other as sinners and to stone sinners to death. Would you consider that as something God wanted, did, and said? Or do you reject parts of the Bible that you personally don't feel fit into the personality/character that you feel God should have?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

tam
Savant

Post #5

Post by tam »

Divine Insight wrote:
tam wrote: Disagreeing with what men say God wants, does, etc... that is another matter, with an entirely different answer ; )
Just wondering if that includes what the Bible Says God wants, does, etc.?
It does. So it depends upon what is written.

But disagreeing with something written has nothing to do with what/how I personally feel. It has to do with what Christ - the image and Truth and Word of God - reveals to us about God.

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Question for Christians

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

rikuoamero wrote: I'd like Christians only to reply.
I'd like to reply to this question myself, as a "Christian". Because after all, I was indeed born and raised as a Christian.

I agree with Tam. Basically as a Christian I was taught that Christ is the focal point to be sure. This was especially true of the Free Methodist church I was baptized in as a child and later became "Born Again in Christ". They focused on the New Testament and when they studied the Old Testament they viewed it through the eyes of Christ". Christ is LORD. And while they don't say it, they really treat Christ as "God".

If the Old Testament doesn't appear to line up with what Christ taught, then we concluded one of two things:

1. God had really good reasons for doing everything he did in the Old Testament. Just accept that his judgement reigns supreme. Nothing God does is unjust.

Or.

2. We simply don't have the wisdom, knowledge, or intellectual ability to understand everything that would need to be understood. Therefore just accept that whatever God did in the Old Testament needed to be done.

This eliminates the need to even consider that the Biblical Old Testament might potentially contain errors. We simply don't have sufficient information to understand it, and it's not our place to second-guess what God Almighty might have done.

That was the mentality as a "Christian".

Obviously I did not retain that mentality into my adult years. :mrgreen:

But that was the "Christian mentality" that I was supposed to embrace as a Christian in our church.

The bible is the word of God. It must be true. If it contains anything at all that seems questionable, it can only be a failure on our part to comprehend or understand the reasons the Almighty had for whatever he did.

Don't ever question God because that's nothing other than extreme arrogance. Just shut up and worship Jesus.

Seriously, that about sums it up.

Christianity is all about worshiping Jesus as LORD and SAVIOR. Don't even worry about God. That's way over your head. Just be thankful that you are saved. That's the mentality. ;)
[center]Image
[/center]

tam
Savant

Post #7

Post by tam »

[Replying to post 6 by Divine Insight]
1. God had really good reasons for doing everything he did in the Old Testament. Just accept that his judgement reigns supreme. Nothing God does is unjust.

Or.

2. We simply don't have the wisdom, knowledge, or intellectual ability to understand everything that would need to be understood. Therefore just accept that whatever God did in the Old Testament needed to be done.
Although I do not agree with (2), there is one other option that you did not list:

Something written is in error, as a result of the "false pen of the scribes".

I respond to your post only because you said that you agreed with me. That Christ is the One to whom we are to keep our eyes upon (focal point), yes, we are in agreement.

But that the Bible is without error? No.

Peace again to you,
tammy

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #8

Post by Divine Insight »

tam wrote: I respond to your post only because you said that you agreed with me. That Christ is the One to whom we are to keep our eyes upon (focal point), yes, we are in agreement.
I agree that Christianity focuses on Christ. In fact as far as I'm concerned they actually idolize Christ and place him BEFORE Yahweh. But they don't see it this way because they look at it like Yahweh actually sent Christ to become our Lord and Savior.
tam wrote: But that the Bible is without error? No.
Well, as far as I'm concerned a Bible that admittedly contains errors is in serious trouble. For one thing, do you only allow that the errors are contained within the Old Testament (i.e."The False Pen of the Scribes"), or do you concede that that the New Testament may also contain errors?

Also, if there are errors in the scriptures then which scriptures do you hold up as being worthy of note? And which scriptures do you dismiss as being likely errors?

I'm not asking you to actually describe which parts of scripture you personally accept or reject, I'm just asking this as a general question?

There seems to be a major problem with any "Holy Texts" that are held up as containing errors. Once errors are acknowledged then it becomes the responsibility of the reader to choose their own moral values based on what they approve of or disprove of. In this way the "Holy Scriptures" become nothing more than support for personal opinions. As each person picks and chooses which scriptures they support and which they do not.

It seems to me that once a person has gone down that path they have actually "Become God" in the sense that they are now going to use the Holy Books and even Christ as their own personal "Marionette Doll". In fact, it is my personal experience that this tends to often be what Christianity amounts to. And I have no doubt the same type of thing holds true in Islam with the Muslims as well.

This is why I no longer support religions. Especially dogmatic ones that claim to hold "God's Moral Commandments". I think we'd all be far better off if we accept personal responsibility for which morals we choose to support or reject, instead of claiming to do this in "Christ's Name" or whatever.

I'll be glad to stand behind my moral values. I can only wish that everyone else would stand behind theirs without claiming superior divine support for their moral opinions by citing that they are a servant of some dogmatic Godhead.

This is really central to the issue of why these Abrahamic religions in particular are so problematic and politically dangerous.
[center]Image
[/center]

tam
Savant

Post #9

Post by tam »

I'm not asking you to actually describe which parts of scripture you personally accept or reject, I'm just asking this as a general question?

Thank you for explaining. I understand what you are asking.

Anything that is in contradiction with Christ and/or love, is in error (or I might be misunderstanding something at the moment). God is as Christ reveals Him to be. Not as man reveals Him to be. Not even as the Bible reveals Him to be. But as Christ reveals Him to be.

I don't think there is some huge conspiracy with regard to changing what is written. Yet the scribes did not always understand what they were talking about, and so applied their own reasoning at times. And it would be dishonest not to acknowledge that there are at the least translation issues, so to be so dogmatic as to the written word... that does not make a lot of sense to me. Doing or believing anything that is in contradiction with Christ - if one claims to follow Christ and His Father- also does not make a lot of sense to me.

Peace again to you DI, and to your loved ones,
tammy

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by rikuoamero »

Having now had a few replies to the topic (not as many as I'd like, but still) I'll reveal what I deliberately left out in the OP. The guy I copied this question asked it because, as he pointed out, it only ever seems that for the random Christian, God agrees with them on everything. Whatever the Christian believes to be true, or the right path morally or ethically, God does too. Which is why we get Christians saying God doesn't like homosexual marriage, and other Christians saying God does like homosexual marriage.
The other guy was pointing out that instead of this indicating that there actually was an external God who people discovered, that instead people were deifying their own beliefs, justifying their own positions by saying "This is what God wants".

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense