Question for Christians on this site in general

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
rikuoamero
Under Probation
Posts: 6707
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:06 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Question for Christians on this site in general

Post #1

Post by rikuoamero »

Recently, the user Saved75 said this
My brother and myself have a percentage of healings and miracles, way up in the 90%, In other words About 97% of the people we Minister to, Get either a healing or a miracle.
Do you yourself believe this claim? That the person behind the handle of Saved75 heals/performs/facilitates miracles.
If you do, please give reasons why.
If you do not, please give reasons why.
Image

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

benchwarmer
Guru
Posts: 2104
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:40 am
Has thanked: 1358 times
Been thanked: 518 times

Re: Question for Christians on this site in general

Post #2

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by rikuoamero]

My only comment on that is that we should be able to find out which city Saved75 is from because it will be the only one with empty hospitals.

User avatar
bluethread
Savant
Posts: 9133
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Question for Christians on this site in general

Post #3

Post by bluethread »

benchwarmer wrote: [Replying to post 1 by rikuoamero]

My only comment on that is that we should be able to find out which city Saved75 is from because it will be the only one with empty hospitals.
You are presuming the fallacy of scale. The quote does not say that 90% of all illness was healed. Is states that, "About 97% of the people we Minister to, Get either a healing or a miracle." From that statement one could say that only those ministered to are effected and not all are healed, some might receive a miracle other than healing. Personally, I do not promote or verify these claims. I generally just let them speak for themselves.

benchwarmer
Guru
Posts: 2104
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:40 am
Has thanked: 1358 times
Been thanked: 518 times

Re: Question for Christians on this site in general

Post #4

Post by benchwarmer »

bluethread wrote:
benchwarmer wrote: [Replying to post 1 by rikuoamero]

My only comment on that is that we should be able to find out which city Saved75 is from because it will be the only one with empty hospitals.
You are presuming the fallacy of scale. The quote does not say that 90% of all illness was healed. Is states that, "About 97% of the people we Minister to, Get either a healing or a miracle." From that statement one could say that only those ministered to are effected and not all are healed, some might receive a miracle other than healing. Personally, I do not promote or verify these claims. I generally just let them speak for themselves.
I guess you just missed my point. If Saved75 is having such an effective rate of miracles and healings, I would expect him/her to be helping as many people as possible - being a good Christian and all. However, you got me, I presumed something for sure.

If we want to get all up in the math, it's possible that no miracles or healings have happened if no one was ministered to. Or maybe one person was ministered to and they were the unlucky 3%.

Since no actual evidence was provided who knows?

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18123
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 437 times
Been thanked: 671 times
Contact:

Re: Question for Christians on this site in general

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by rikuoamero]

Maybe the "miracles" were small things that were completely attainable - a good day at work the next day, fish for lunch, that your mother in law NOT come for the weekend... who knows... miracles are often in the eye of the beholders.


I do believe God interacts with his faithful servants and if it is his will, grants them their requests, I don't believe we live in the ages of miracles where spectacular supernatural events are guaranteed for God's people.


JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

User avatar
rikuoamero
Under Probation
Posts: 6707
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:06 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Question for Christians on this site in general

Post #6

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 5 by JehovahsWitness]
Maybe the "miracles" were small things that were completely attainable - a good day at work the next day, fish for lunch, that your mother in law NOT come for the weekend... who knows... miracles are often in the eye of the beholders.
In which case, they are completely indistinguishable from non-miracles, and as such, do not merit the name.
I do believe God interacts with his faithful servants and if it is his will, grants them their requests, I don't believe we live in the ages of miracles where spectacular supernatural events are guaranteed for God's people.
Like my atheist buddies on this site have said plenty of other times on this site - I don't care what it is you believe. I care about what it is you can prove, what you can back up with evidence.
You say you believe X. So, provide evidence for X.
Image

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

nobspeople
Prodigy
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 am
Has thanked: 1510 times
Been thanked: 819 times

Re: Question for Christians on this site in general

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

rikuoamero wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:58 am Recently, the user Saved75 said this
My brother and myself have a percentage of healings and miracles, way up in the 90%, In other words About 97% of the people we Minister to, Get either a healing or a miracle.
Do you yourself believe this claim? That the person behind the handle of Saved75 heals/performs/facilitates miracles.
If you do, please give reasons why.
If you do not, please give reasons why.
I don't believe in miracles as many Christians define them. So I wouldn't believe this person but I'm sure they don't care too much what I believe about them 8-)
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

User avatar
John Bauer
Apprentice
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 11:31 pm
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Question for Christians on this site in general

Post #8

Post by John Bauer »

rikuoamero wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:58 am
Recently, the user Saved75 said this
My brother and myself have a percentage of healings and miracles, way up in the 90%, In other words About 97% of the people we Minister to, Get either a healing or a miracle.
Do you yourself believe this claim? [...] If you do not, please give reasons why.
No, I do not believe his claim.

Why? Because I am a skeptic. (Yes, one can be both a Christian and a skeptic.) Genuine miraculous healings are extremely rare, whereas charlatans and snake-oil salesmen are extremely common. Therefore, since it is much more probable that he is a charlatan, I am not inclined to believe him until convinced otherwise.
"Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when he is called upon to act
in accordance with the dictates of reason."
— Oscar Wilde.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all
argument, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle
is contempt prior to investigation."
— William Paley.

2timothy316
Prodigy
Posts: 3399
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:51 am
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 234 times

Re: Question for Christians on this site in general

Post #9

Post by 2timothy316 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:26 am [Replying to post 1 by rikuoamero]

Maybe the "miracles" were small things that were completely attainable - a good day at work the next day, fish for lunch, that your mother in law NOT come for the weekend... who knows... miracles are often in the eye of the beholders.


I do believe God interacts with his faithful servants and if it is his will, grants them their requests, I don't believe we live in the ages of miracles where spectacular supernatural events are guaranteed for God's people.


JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
I concur with JW. The Bible says that supernatural healing by humans would cease in the congregations and that only love would remain in Christian congregations. Jesus even said that love among the congregation would be the identifying quality of his disciples not their miracles.(1 Corinthians 13:8-10, John 13:34, 35)

Does this mean there are no healing miracles happening anywhere? I'm not sure. I just know of no human with the God given power to heal since the 1st century CE and anyone claiming to be able to do so I would be highly skeptical because of what the Bible says.

Post Reply