Were/are you regularly persecuted for being a Christian?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Are/Were you persecuted as a Christian?

I have never experienced any real persecution
86%
I suffer/have suffered a lot of persecution
No votes
I suffer/have suffered some persecution
No votes
Yes, but I would hardly call it persecution
14%

Total votes: 7

OnceConvinced
Savant

Were/are you regularly persecuted for being a Christian?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

Christians often claim that they are persecuted for their beliefs in Jesus. I was a Christian for over 30 years and experienced very little persecution for being a Christian, even though I was quite open about it. The worst I got was some friendly teasing from atheists, which I gave right back, which earnt their respect and friendship.

So, a question for both current Christians and former Christians.

Honestly... are you regularly persecuted for being a Christian?

Have you suffered any real serious persecution, eg been beaten up or physically injured? Psychological trauma of any kind?

Hopefully people will be honest about this.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #2

Post by rikuoamero »

I remember as a young child, hearing some neighbour boys a few doors up from myself calling from their windows pretending to be God.
In case any current Christian thinks this may have played a part in my movement to atheism, nope. This all took part when I was 5/6/7. I didn't start really considering disbelieving what I believed until I hit double digits.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

bjs
Prodigy

Re: Were/are you regularly persecuted for being a Christian?

Post #3

Post by bjs »

[Replying to post 1 by OnceConvinced]

Physical violence is very rare in America and Western Europe. I am glad you faced only friendly teasing. In the places I have lived that you make you a rarity, though I understand it may be different in the southeast. Nearly every adult Christian I know has dealt with less friendly verbal assaults. I remember on one occasion a man pulled his car to the side of the road to start screaming at me as I was walking out of a church.

Outside of America, it is much different. I have known a dozen or so Christian who have faced short term imprisonment, death threats, and in once case some men attempted to murder a whole family because the family members were Christians. They survived, though the father has an impressive scar from a machete running down the side of his head.

I, personally, have not heard Christians in America “often claim that they are persecuted for their beliefs in Jesus� – at least not if we are limiting persecution to physical violence.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

[Replying to post 3 by bjs]

These things you mention sound very much like freak things and unusual.

There are no doubt some countries where there is more anti-Christian feelings, but from what I can see the majority of persecution that Christians feel they are receiving is not really persecution at all. This website is a classic example where many Christians feel they are persecuted simply because they are not taken seriously.

I wonder who is persecuted the most. Muslims, Christians or atheists?

When I look back at my time as a Christian I see times where I persecuted atheists calling them idiots for believing in evolution. As a kid, I even punched an atheist in the nose once for bad mouthing Jesus, causing his nose to gush. I felt so bad about it later. I was even chastised by a fellow Christian for doing it, because that atheist was a nice guy and a friend of his family.

I've also occasionally persecuted people of other religions by accusing them of worshiping false gods and demons and stuff like that or for mocking their beliefs that were often no more sillier than Christian beliefs. I always felt bad about that sort of thing afterwards though and it was very rare that I ever did things like that.

Yes, I was guilty of persecution on the odd occasion. I don't recall ever having that kind of persecution on me for being a Christian though.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by bjs »

[Replying to OnceConvinced]

Sadly, the events I discussed are neither “freak things� nor “unusual.� Persecution tends to go in waves, but it is a regular event worldwide. Physical attacks are rare in America.

I find it interesting that you defined persecution against Christians as “been beaten up or physically injured� while you defined persecution against atheists and people of other religions as purely verbal assaults. It seems like a double standard

You called it persecution to call atheists “idiots for believing in evolution.� That is certainly unkind, though it doesn’t seem any worse than saying that Christian beliefs are silly, which you did in this very thread. Are you now persecuting Christians? Or is it only persecution when it happens to atheists?
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #6

Post by OnceConvinced »

bjs wrote: [Replying to OnceConvinced]

I find it interesting that you defined persecution against Christians as “been beaten up or physically injured�
Huh? Where did I define that?

bjs wrote: while you defined persecution against atheists and people of other religions as purely verbal assaults. It seems like a double standard
What on earth are you going on about?

Where did I make any definitions at all about what "persecution" is? I leave it up to those who wish to be involved in this discussion to define "persecution".

My last post I was simply describing the persecution I inflicted on others as a Christian.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by bjs »

OnceConvinced wrote:

I find it interesting that you defined persecution against Christians as “been beaten up or physically injured�
Well, in the opening post:

OnceConvinced wrote: Have you suffered any real serious persecution, eg been beaten up or physically injured? Psychological trauma of any kind?

OnceConvinced wrote:
bjs wrote: while you defined persecution against atheists and people of other religions as purely verbal assaults. It seems like a double standard

Where did I make any definitions at all about what "persecution" is? I leave it up to those who wish to be involved in this discussion to define "persecution".
In post 4:
OnceConvinced wrote: When I look back at my time as a Christian I see times where I persecuted atheists calling them idiots for believing in evolution

OnceConvinced wrote: My last post I was simply describing the persecution I inflicted on others as a Christian.
And now as an atheist you treat Christians the way that you say you treated others when you called yourself a Christian. You say you used to persecute others, and your treatment of others has not changed.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 5 by bjs]
while you defined persecution against atheists and people of other religions as purely verbal assaults. It seems like a double standard

You called it persecution to call atheists “idiots for believing in evolution.�
OC says
I persecuted atheists calling them idiots for believing in evolution. As a kid, I even punched an atheist in the nose once for bad mouthing Jesus, causing his nose to gush.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #9

Post by OnceConvinced »

bjs wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:

Well, in the opening post:

OnceConvinced wrote: Have you suffered any real serious persecution, eg been beaten up or physically injured? Psychological trauma of any kind?
Yeah, I gave examples of possible persecution. Both physical and psychological. Your problem is?
bjs wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:

In post 4:
OnceConvinced wrote: When I look back at my time as a Christian I see times where I persecuted atheists calling them idiots for believing in evolution
Here I gave an example of persecution that I was guilty of. Nothing more. I also talked about how I punched an atheist in the nose. The last time I punched a person was when I was 16 years old and it was meant to be a pretend punch which unfortunately I misjudged.

bjs wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: My last post I was simply describing the persecution I inflicted on others as a Christian.
And now as an atheist you treat Christians the way that you say you treated others when you called yourself a Christian.
This is a very serious accusation. I have never persecuted anyone as an atheist.

I have never punched a Christian in the nose. I also don't go around calling Christians idiots. I may think it, but I don't say it. Have you ever seen me call a Christian an idiot on this website?

Please do point out where I have ever persecuted a member of this website. If I have done so I would have received warnings for doing this. Please do see if you can find any warning I have ever received from moderators for being uncivil.

If I had been guilty of persecuting Christians on this website I would not have been made a moderator and most definitely not have been put into the "Tolerant, Respectful and Civil" user group.
bjs wrote:
You say you used to persecute others, and your treatment of others has not changed.
This is a complete lie. Exactly what way have I persecuted people since I have become an atheist? What way have I persecuted people here on this website?

Since I have become an ex-Christian I have not been guilty of any of those things that I was guilty of as a Christian. Do you know something I don't?

As an Atheist I have learnt to be more accepting of the differences in people. I don't persecute anyone anymore. You have made a very uncivil claim (a personal attack even) accusing me of persecuting Christians in the same way as I persecuted atheists when I was a Christian. Please support this claim or retract it. I don't appreciate being accused of things I haven't done.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by bjs »

[Replying to OnceConvinced]

Saying “I may think it but, but I don’t say it,� is saying it.

My apologies if you feel that I have been uncivil. However, in this case I was stating an objective fact, not an opinion. You have stated what you consider the standard for persecution is, and then you have done literally that exact thing.