Creationists / Intelligent Design understand Evolution?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
McCulloch
Site Supporter
Posts: 24068
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 9:10 pm
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Been thanked: 2 times

Creationists / Intelligent Design understand Evolution?

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

Creationists and proponents of Intelligent Design are often critical of the theory of evolution. But their criticism leaves their opponents with the feeling that they don't actually understand evolution.

Question for Creationists and proponents of Intelligent Design: can you explain what is meant by evolution?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

User avatar
Divine Insight
Savant
Posts: 18080
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:59 pm
Location: Here & Now
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Creationists / Intelligent Design understand Evolution?

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

McCulloch wrote: Question for Creationists and proponents of Intelligent Design: can you explain what is meant by evolution?
Evolution means we got here from an ancient pool of slime
and everything's an accident cuz is isn't a design
and nothing we could ever do could ever be a crime
cus morality is meaningless if our existence ain't divine

Evolution says a hurricane could hit a pile of logs
and purely via accident rearrange them into frogs
Frogs that croak and jump around
and knowingly eat flies
That's why I say evolution
is a great big pile of lies

Everyone who has a brain knows God created man
and it wasn't just an accident cus Jesus has a plan
he knows when we've been naughty
he knows when we've been nice
and he will judge us all
based upon our vice

So evolution smevolution it's scientific fraud
I learned this fact in bible school from a Christian teacher broad
She taught me truth from Jesus Christ and now my soul is saved
but those evil evolutionists will forever be depraved.

(sorry I was in a poetic mood) :D

Clearly the poem is satire. Anyone who knows me knows this all too well. ;)

And of course the second stanza of the poem does not reflect evolution.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

User avatar
rikuoamero
Under Probation
Posts: 6707
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:06 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Creationists / Intelligent Design understand Evolution?

Post #3

Post by rikuoamero »

Moderator removed one-line, non-contributing post. Kindly refrain from making posts that contribute nothing to debate and/or simply express agreement / disagreement or make other frivolous remarks.
Image

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Wootah
Savant
Posts: 7956
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:16 am
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

That through a process of mutation plus natural selection applied over billions of years we get the variety of lifeforms we see today.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

Looking for head to head debates, especially on contradictions or the Trinity. PM me your topic.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Edit preferences to remove all the fluff: ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view

2timothy316
Prodigy
Posts: 3399
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:51 am
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 234 times

Post #5

Post by 2timothy316 »

Evolution, or the changes between an animal with certain traits to an animal with different traits is not the problem with evolution. The problem is that all of this started by accident without evidence of the accident. There is no experiment that has ever succeeded in duplicating this accident. Scientist have mixed together the elements they think where there in the accident, stood back an watched nothing happen.

Those that think that life started by accident even admit that the chances of life coming this way can't even be written down. There are not enough atoms in the universe to write the odds on. It is basically a mathematical impossibility. Even though many evolutionist say they believe in things they can see, they support life coming about by accident without ever seeing that happen.

User avatar
rikuoamero
Under Probation
Posts: 6707
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:06 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Post #6

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 5 by 2timothy316]
The problem is that all of this started by accident without evidence of the accident.
As has been explained time and time again, this is NOT anything to do with evolution. So you are demonstrating what the OP asks, demonstrating that yourself as a creationist do not understand evolution.
There is no experiment that has ever succeeded in duplicating this accident.
Just as there has been no experiment to duplicate creationism, yet strangely enough, this isn't a concern of yours.
Scientist have mixed together the elements they think where there in the accident, stood back an watched nothing happen.
And you think that's it? They do an experiment once, and that's it? They don't get the result they expect on the first try, so game over, end of research, go home everyone?
Those that think that life started by accident even admit that the chances of life coming this way can't even be written down.
Coming what way? Other than talk about an 'accident', you haven't outlined anything, gone into detail.
Again, have to remind you, this is not anything to do with evolution.
There are not enough atoms in the universe to write the odds on.
I don't see any calculations for this claim, or any citations or sources...
It is basically a mathematical impossibility.
Now you're demonstrating not just an ignorance of evolution but of statistical probability too.
Even though many evolutionist say they believe in things they can see, they support life coming about by accident without ever seeing that happen.
Says the person who believes in life being designed or created without ever seeing it happen...
Image

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

2timothy316
Prodigy
Posts: 3399
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:51 am
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 234 times

Post #7

Post by 2timothy316 »

rikuoamero wrote:
Even though many evolutionist say they believe in things they can see, they support life coming about by accident without ever seeing that happen.
Says the person who believes in life being designed or created without ever seeing it happen...
This reply doesn't make my statement false.

User avatar
rikuoamero
Under Probation
Posts: 6707
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:06 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Post #8

Post by rikuoamero »

2timothy316 wrote:
rikuoamero wrote:
Even though many evolutionist say they believe in things they can see, they support life coming about by accident without ever seeing that happen.
Says the person who believes in life being designed or created without ever seeing it happen...
This reply doesn't make my statement false.
Strictly speaking yes, you are correct, but it does highlight what I shall charitably point out is your hypocrisy. You say that evolutionists believe in an event that they cannot see ever happened, all the while you yourself are doing just that. You did not see God either creating or designing creatures.
Is your belief regarding either creationist/design beyond reproach?
Image

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

2timothy316
Prodigy
Posts: 3399
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:51 am
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 234 times

Post #9

Post by 2timothy316 »

rikuoamero wrote:
Strictly speaking yes, you are correct, but it does highlight what I shall charitably point out is your hypocrisy. You say that evolutionists believe in an event that they cannot see ever happened, all the while you yourself are doing just that. You did not see God either creating or designing creatures.
Is your belief regarding either creationist/design beyond reproach?
I have only seen things come into existence by another living thing. So I have no problem accepting that the first living thing was also made by another living thing. Is it beyond reproach? No. If it is ever observed that a living thing coming from a non-living thing, I want to know about it. Is your belief that things came about by accident beyond reproach?

If I saw things being made by accident then I might lean the other way. As it is, I really do make my decisions based on what I see. So until that changes, the theory for me is, everything comes from another living thing because it's the only thing I have ever observed. Because creation/intelligent can be observed and the other one has never been, I lean more toward creation/intelligent design.

2timothy316
Prodigy
Posts: 3399
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:51 am
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 234 times

Re: Creationists / Intelligent Design understand Evolution?

Post #10

Post by 2timothy316 »

McCulloch wrote: Creationists and proponents of Intelligent Design are often critical of the theory of evolution. But their criticism leaves their opponents with the feeling that they don't actually understand evolution.

Question for Creationists and proponents of Intelligent Design: can you explain what is meant by evolution?
I'd like to point out here that evolution is not about intelligent design. Evolution is about what happens life has already started.

The correct term for the origin of life debates are called abiogenesis versus biogenesis. Or perhaps abiogenesis vs intelligent design.

Post Reply