What does a Group do?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

paarsurrey1
Sage

What does a Group do?

Post #1

Post by paarsurrey1 »

I am neither an Agnostic nor Ignostic but I have become a member of the Group. Is it OK?
I go with the reason as could the reason go reasonably.
What does a group do? Please
Regards

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: What does a Group do?

Post #2

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by paarsurrey1]

A group is just a way to label yourself. If you join a group that you don't actually hold the same beliefs/opinions as, it won't look good for your integrity, but other than that it doesn't do anything.

Some group memberships are required to post in certain forums (Holy Huddle, Head to Head, etc).

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #3

Post by paarsurrey1 »

[Replying to post 2 by benchwarmer]
Thanks for your response.
For instance, I have joined the group Agnostic, I tell them that I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim. I want to have a dialogue with them. How should I go with it with them? I am peaceful and polite and I go with reason as reason could go reasonably.
Regards

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #4

Post by JP Cusick »

paarsurrey1 wrote: For instance, I have joined the group Agnostic, I tell them that I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim. I want to have a dialogue with them. How should I go with it with them? I am peaceful and polite and I go with reason as reason could go reasonably.
Regards
I say to follow the words of the Apostle Paul:

When in Rome, then be like a Roman. See 1 Corinthians 9:19-22
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #5

Post by paarsurrey1 »

JP Cusick wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: For instance, I have joined the group Agnostic, I tell them that I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim. I want to have a dialogue with them. How should I go with it with them? I am peaceful and polite and I go with reason as reason could go reasonably.
Regards
I say to follow the words of the Apostle Paul:

When in Rome, then be like a Roman. See 1 Corinthians 9:19-22
Joining a Group does not mean following them blindly. Is it, please?
Regards

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #6

Post by JP Cusick »

paarsurrey1 wrote: Joining a Group does not mean following them blindly. Is it, please?
Regards
No - we do not follow them blindly - but we must be respectful of any group.

When I go to a Muslim Temple then I take off my shoes and I talk to them about Islam.

When I go to a Catholic service or Mass then I sit-down and standup as they do in their seats.

I know an Agnostic person and I guess we are friends, but I find Agnostic to be one of the most troubling as I want to yell at them = Why do not ye just make up thy mind and make a decision.

They are neither hot-nor-cold and that is hard for me to accommodate.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

[Replying to post 5 by paarsurrey1]

By joining the group Ignostic, you are publicly asserting that you don't know what is meant by the word, 'God'.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #8

Post by paarsurrey1 »

JP Cusick wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: Joining a Group does not mean following them blindly. Is it, please?
Regards
No - we do not follow them blindly - but we must be respectful of any group.

When I go to a Muslim Temple then I take off my shoes and I talk to them about Islam.

When I go to a Catholic service or Mass then I sit-down and standup as they do in their seats.

I know an Agnostic person and I guess we are friends, but I find Agnostic to be one of the most troubling as I want to yell at them = Why do not ye just make up thy mind and make a decision.

They are neither hot-nor-cold and that is hard for me to accommodate.
I am also respectful to others.
When I go to a Christian Church I just listen and attend to the service but If they stand to worship, I keep sitting and don't join them. They never mind it. Same is with Buddhism or Hinduism temples. I don't join their worship and I remain sittings, they don't have a problem with it rather they are appreciative of this and we are always friendly.
Regards

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #9

Post by paarsurrey1 »

McCulloch wrote: [Replying to post 5 by paarsurrey1]

By joining the group Ignostic, you are publicly asserting that you don't know what is meant by the word, 'God'.
I don't think that it is a declaration to that effect.
It simply tells that I don't hate them and that we are friendly and we can share and discuss our notes on different world-views with reason and peaceful dialogue. Right, please?
Regards

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #10

Post by Divine Insight »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
McCulloch wrote: [Replying to post 5 by paarsurrey1]

I don't think that it is a declaration to that effect.
If you join the group "Ignostic" then you are basically claiming to be a member of that group.
paarsurrey1 wrote: It simply tells that I don't hate them and that we are friendly and we can share and discuss our notes on different world-views with reason and peaceful dialogue. Right, please?
Regards
This is supposed to be true for everyone at all times. No need to join a group to tell people that you don't hate them. In fact, why should you hate someone who merely claims to not understand what is meant by the term "God"?

If you think you can define that term in a meaningful way you can just start a thread in General Chat, or some debate forum where you offer to define the term and ask for the views of others. If you start a thread entitled "Defining God" I would imagine that Ignostics would be very likely to chime in. In fact, many theists may even chime in to either agree or disagree with your definition of the term "God". :D

There's no need to state that you don't hate Ignostics. That will be assumed unless you state otherwise.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]