For DC'n'R' Christians - why the lack of curiosity?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

rikuoamero
Under Probation

For DC'n'R' Christians - why the lack of curiosity?

Post #1

Post by rikuoamero »

I've been looking at the "Ask a User a Specific Question" "Ask A group" and "Ask about Belief" pages, and something struck me.
The overwhelming vast majority of questions in these sections...are from the side that can (more or less lazily) be lumped together as the non-believers. Heck, on the first page of "Ask a User", I myself asked no less than eighteen questions.
So what I want to ask is something for this site's Christians. Why are you generally speaking, not asking us questions in these places? Is there a lack of curiosity? Have you ever wondered what it is we think, or ever wanted to get some insight into something peculiar any of us might have said?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Re: For DC'n'R' Christians - why the lack of curiosity?

Post #11

Post by rikuoamero »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 6 by Wootah]

Actually I did just ask a question for the vegans on this forum. No response.
This isn't a fair contrast. Your question for vegans (by the time you wrote this response) had been up for about a day.
My OP is asking about what is seemingly a general lack of interest from most of this site's Christians during its entire existence (and as I type this, I notice that your question to vegans has in fact garnered some responses).

I find it extremely curious that for a religion that professes to be all about love and peace and helping your fellow man...its adherents, at least on this website (I'm not going to comment about other websites) are almost completely uninterested in learning just how non-believers think, why they (or should I say we?) think the things that we do), never ask for clarification on a point one of us has made.
It comes across (at least in my eyes, I'm not going to speak for any other non-believer) a little bit dehumanizing, like...we just don't matter. There's no thought spared for "How can I convince this particular individual non-believer to believe the things I believe". There's no question asked such as "Divine Insight, what exactly stopped you from believing" or "Rikuoamero, was there a single thing that convinced you that Christianity is false" or "Neatras, you talked about this X thing here, can you help me understand".

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Re: For DC'n'R' Christians - why the lack of curiosity?

Post #12

Post by rikuoamero »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to rikuoamero]

Mostly that is resolved in debate, if an atheist raises it in debate.

But in general atheists are not here to discuss their beliefs and I find that one of the weaknesses of the site is that we never discuss what atheists believe.

Although in fairness it is some variant of materialism.
...then ask! Do you not see the irony in this response, Wootah? I start an OP, asking about the lack of curiosity, the lack of questions from Christians towards atheists...and your response is to complain that "we never discuss what atheists believe"?
All you had to do was ask!

Overcomer
Guru

Post #13

Post by Overcomer »

Divine Insight wrote:
What's the difference between aborting an early pregnancy or refusing to get pregnant in the first place? Both choices end with the same result - no new human being born.
The difference is -- killing a human life vs. not creating a human life in the first place. I think that's a pretty big difference.

Divine Insight wrote:
So an atheist is simply a person who believes in one less God myth than a devout theist.
Here's one ex-atheist's response to that well-worn phrase:

http://www.breakpoint.org/2018/06/do-at ... hristians/

Or, if you prefer to watch, there's this:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=at ... &FORM=VIRE

As to the OP question, I have found that atheists usually tell everybody what they think without being asked. And when I have asked more personal questions, I have gotten flippant remarks as if the one being questioned really doesn't want to talk about what makes him tick. So I probe no further.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #14

Post by Divine Insight »

Overcomer wrote:
So an atheist is simply a person who believes in one less God myth than a devout theist.
Here's one ex-atheist's response to that well-worn phrase:

http://www.breakpoint.org/2018/06/do-at ... hristians/
Did you actually read that article?

It says right in the article, "As Christians, we are just like the jurors on that trial."

The only problem with this is that jurors on a trial are often wrong. There have been many people who have been convicted of crimes by a jury only to be exonerated later by either DNA evidence, or by the actual confession of the true perpetrators.

So I wouldn't think Christians would want to be associated with such obvious guesswork.
Overcomer wrote: Or, if you prefer to watch, there's this:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=at ... &FORM=VIRE
And the problem with the video you've linked to above is that there is no compelling evidence that the Abrahamic religion is credible, much less any specific faction of it, (i.e. Judaism, Islam, or any of the myriad of disagreeing Christianities)

So this argument doesn't hold water.
Overcomer wrote: As to the OP question, I have found that atheists usually tell everybody what they think without being asked. And when I have asked more personal questions, I have gotten flippant remarks as if the one being questioned really doesn't want to talk about what makes him tick. So I probe no further.
Why should what makes him tick have anything to do with supporting Christianity? :-k

Christianity is based on the Hebrew Bible. And the Bible proclaims that the world was once perfect until humans "fell from grace" and caused the world to become filled with sin and evil. That is demonstrably false as we have since discovered that humans are an extreme latecomer in the animal kingdom and that things like death, starvation, disease, and all manner of imperfections existed long before humans ever came onto the scene.

Going back to your analogy with a courtroom, if any criminal could provide evidence that he didn't even exist when the crime was committed he would surely be acquitted.

So if you're going to use a courtroom by jury to decide whether Christianity has any merit you need to take that into consideration as well. The case would be tossed out before it even went to trial actually.

You can't blame the ills of the world on humans when humans weren't even around when those ills had already existed.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]