Tcg
Savant

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

bluethread wrote:
Tcg wrote:
bluethread wrote:
Good comparison, fertilized chicken eggs are chickens,
I see. You specialize in fertilized eggs. Where do you obtain them?
I gathered that was your point.
Why would you gather that? I made no mention of fertilized eggs.

bluethread
Savant

Post #12

Post by bluethread »

Tcg wrote:
Only fertilized eggs can be aborted. Unfertilized eggs are independent life forms.

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

bluethread wrote:
Tcg wrote:
Only fertilized eggs can be aborted. Unfertilized eggs are independent life forms.
I didn't mention a single word about eggs being aborted. My question was about those who consume eggs.

So, let's review. I didn't mention anything about fertilized eggs and I didn't mention anything about eggs being aborted.

bluethread
Savant

Post #14

Post by bluethread »

Tcg wrote:
I didn't mention a single word about eggs being aborted. My question was about those who consume eggs.

So, let's review. I didn't mention anything about fertilized eggs and I didn't mention anything about eggs being aborted.
You asked if egg consumers are pro-abortion. Why would it matter? If you are not equating the two, you may as well ask if egg consumers are pro-capitalism.

Tcg
Savant

Post #15

Post by Tcg »

bluethread wrote:
Tcg wrote:

You asked if egg consumers are pro-abortion.
That's right. That is what I asked.

Why would it matter? If you are not equating the two, you may as well ask if egg consumers are pro-capitalism.
I never claimed it would matter. I never equated the two. I asked a simple question. I'm not sure why it has caused you such confusion.

bluethread
Savant

Post #16

Post by bluethread »

Tcg wrote:
Why would it matter? If you are not equating the two, you may as well ask if egg consumers are pro-capitalism.
I never claimed it would matter. I never equated the two. I asked a simple question. I'm not sure why it has caused you such confusion.[/quote]

I'm not really interested in getting into an argument about this. Generally, people ask questions because they matter. Also, when there is no directly stated intent, people draw inferences. If that was not your intent, then simply state your intent. If this was just meant to be a random enquiry, that is rather strange on a debating site, IMO.

Tcg
Savant

Post #17

Post by Tcg »

bluethread wrote:
If this was just meant to be a random enquiry, that is rather strange on a debating site, IMO.
Not when the purpose of this subforum includes this:

"The purpose here is simply to gain knowledge from others about a particular group. If the conversation leads to something that you want to debate, then open a new debate topic in the appropriate debate subforum."

Yes, it is a random enquiry and this subforum is the exact place to ask such an enquiry. My purpose is simply to gain knowledge from others about a particular group. My question has in fact allowed me to gain knowledge from others.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #18

Post by Divine Insight »

Tcg wrote: As a follow up, do you see any connection between your egg consumption and your views on abortion?
No, not at all.

By the way, I used to have chickens and they were all hens, no roosters. They still laid eggs and produced eggs that were simply not fertile. So chicken eggs don't even need to be fertile eggs.

But getting back to the abortion issue.

As far as I can see there are two aspects to the abortion issue. One is a "moral" issue, and the other is a "legal" issue.

I keep these totally separate.

The Legal Issue:

As far as a legal issue is concerned I don't think it's the job of the government to force a woman to take a pregnancy to it's ultimate conclusion. This is why I say that I am Pro-Choice. I think that decision should be up to the women in question. Let her decide any moral issues that might be associated with this.

So I vote against any laws that just blindly outlaw abortions.

The Moral (or Ethical) issue:

I don't see anything wrong with a woman wanting to abort an unwanted pregnancy that that was caused due to rape, or unwanted incest. So from my perspective it is not immoral or unethical to have an abortion in those cases.

Similarly if the pregnancy is threatening a health risk to the woman I see nothing immoral or unethical about her deciding to terminate the pregnancy.

Also, if it is discovered that the fetus is grossly malformed or suffering from some other horrific genetic condition, I see nothing immoral or unethical about the mother of the baby terminating the pregnancy.

So for me, there are many moral and ethical reasons for aborting a pregnancy.

Is it moral (IMHO) to abort a pregnancy simply as a method of birth control? In my opinion that is not moral or ethical. I suggest that the woman should have been more responsible in not getting pregnant in the first place.

But that's certainly my opinion on morality. I'm not even going to vote to have that moral opinion put into law. I don't see the law as a place to enforce people's moral opinions.

So while there may be situations where I personally feel that it is immoral or unethical to have an abortion, I still wouldn't vote to have that put into law.

People who think that abortion is immoral and therefore should be illegal aren't even aware of the purpose of the laws in a free democratic society, IMHO.

Laws should not be used to enforce people's moral opinions onto others.

So that's where I stand on the "Abortion Issue" which truly is a LEGAL issue since it is almost always a political issue where legislation is being addressed.

I'm totally against legislation to make abortion a "crime".

There's simply no call for it other than from those who want to push their moral values onto others via the law.

And I don't support that mentality.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]