Do JW's examine the nature of the imagery of their sect?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Do JW's examine the nature of the imagery of their sect?

Post #1

Post by William »

Imagery is a powerful device in which to capture the imaginations of individuals for the purpose of enticing them into supporting that which is imaged.

Every business - secular or religious based - know the importance of imagery in relation to attracting investors/supporters of said business.

Q: What are the kind of people who are attracted to JW imagery, and why do these particular types fill a niche in the market?

The organisation is able to be studied in this light, as an example as to how long it takes for a small business to gain popularity and how long it takes for the business to grow in the hustle-bustle of the market place and what clientele the organisation is attracting which are otherwise not accounted for in said market place.

The image below, is just one of many which are used to attract a particular type of human being with the expectation of getting them to part with money, and the method used to spread this organisations advertising involves getting the clients themselves to promote the business by freely distributing the propaganda door to door, not even having to pay said clients for the service, as the clients believe they are doing so for the Christian sects claimed leader, "Jehovah", and therefore willingly promote the JW.Org for free, based upon the promise of reward "When Jesus (Jehovah's representative) returns" - or some similar type promise. "Pay in this life - get your reward for service in the next"

With images of what that promised next life will be like.

There are of course many types of imagery used by this organisation, which gives a clear indication of the types of individuals that the business is focused upon attracting, to build the numbers and maintain their piece of the action in the marketplace.

The image above, represents a white middle-class nuclear family walking hand in hand toward an idyllic scene, appropriately costumed in acceptable garb, and no other humans around.

Q: What does this image invoke in the individual who identifies with it?
Q: Who is most likely going to identify with it?

Obviously the JW organisation is reaching out to white middle class family orientated folk as one type of customer in which they feel their message will take hold and earn money from.

I, for one, can bear witness to the fact that white middle class people representing the organization are predominately the ones knocking on my door, trying to get me to buy into the JW.orgs imagery.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: Do JW's examine the nature of the imagery of their sect?

Post #2

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to post 1 by William]
Q: What are the kind of people who are attracted to JW imagery, and why do these particular types fill a niche in the market?

Q: What does this image invoke in the individual who identifies with it?

Q: Who is most likely going to identify with it?
The images are folks who love what their creator made from them. The imagery is for a person that sees the Earth and is awestruck by it. It's for people that see more than just a planet, they see hope for the Earth and every one on it.

The term 'market' doesn't really fit and the images by themselves are not meant to be without Biblical support.

If one reads 2 Pet. 3:13, the image takes on it's full meaning.
“There are new heavens and a new earth that we are awaiting according to [God’s] promise, and in these righteousness is to dwell.�

The purpose is not to find some niche market but to bring hope to those who see what God's promise is and it touches their heart and want reach out to Jehovah God.
I, for one, can bear witness to the fact that white middle class people representing the organization are predominately the ones knocking on my door, trying to get me to buy into the JW.orgs imagery.
If the color of the person in the image or the color of the person that knocks on their door is what the person focuses on, meanwhile they completely miss the message we are sharing from the Bible then honestly then that is not the type of person we are looking for.

Also, the reason your might get more people of one color than another is because of where you live. JWs serve their neighbors the majority of the time. So if you live a predominately white area then most likely the JWs in that area are white as well. However, I have served areas where my neighbors were predominately black and my service partner was black too. However, if you lived a remote area there is no telling what race of person you will get. As we all take turns going to remote areas were there are no local witnesses. So while you 'bear witness' for your street I can assure you it doesn't bare witness for the whole world.

Here is another picture for the discussion. It's another picture of paradise. Yet only a person with a discerning heart will know what paradise I'm referring to. If all one can see is the color of the people they are missing much more.
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/maga ... uary-2019/

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by William]

The pictures in Jehovah's Witnesses literature are made to appeal to any nationality or class of people who would like to see a peaceful world.

Our literature is given away free of charge to any member of the public that wants it. Jehovah's Witnesses do not charge for pastoral visits, wedding or funeral services or bible studies. They do not have a paid clergy.

Below is a selection of jw artwork, more can be found in the JW website www.jw.org...

Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

William wrote:
Obviously the JW organisation is reaching out to white middle class ....

Here is a selection of screenshots from the Jehovah's Witness website www.jw.org the first is a shot of the current Homepage:

William wrote:
Here is a shot from one of the websites "about us" pages...

William wrote:
Here is a picture from one of Jehovah's Witnessesinstructional brochures ....

William
Savant

Post #7

Post by William »

[Replying to post 2 by 2timothy316]

The imagery is for a person that sees the Earth and is awestruck by it. It's for people that see more than just a planet, they see hope for the Earth and every one on it.

So in the answer given here, the kind of people who are attracted to JW imagery are "folks who love what their creator made from them".

1: The are under the impression they are created beings.
2: The imagery is designed to attract a person that sees the Earth and is awestruck by it.
3: They are people that see more than just a planet, they see hope for the Earth and every one on it.
The term 'market' doesn't really fit ...
There is no reason given by Timothy as to why this is the case.
...and the images by themselves are not meant to be without Biblical support.
Timothy mentions a best selling book in the market place, and in doing so, contradicts the answer she gave regarding the term 'market' not really fitting the facts.
If one reads 2 Pet. 3:13, the image takes on it's full meaning.
“There are new heavens and a new earth that we are awaiting according to [God’s] promise, and in these righteousness is to dwell.�
Timothy gives what is claimed to be the passage connected with the image (but no 'heavens' are seen in the image)...so then the white nuclear family are 'the righteous' and the picture represents this modern dressed family walking hand in hand from a dark place into a 'new earth' - the image represents a promise fulfilled - in reality, an expectation of things hoped for but not yet delivered...
The purpose is not to find some niche market but to bring hope to those who see what God's promise is and it touches their heart and want reach out to Jehovah God.
Timothy argues that the imagery attracts those types of folk on an emotional level who are informed that 'God' promised this, and that 'God' = "Jehovah" - and there is no 'niche market' involved in the process, but again, she does not explain why this is.

A niche market is found by a business set up to attract income from various untapped sources, such as white middle-class folk who are despondent about the way the world currently works and need 'hope' in something which the current world appears not to be delivering - and indeed, given the spiel the organisation uses - the world simply cannot deliver.

So the niche is identified as folk who are either unable or unwilling to figure out how to help the current situation and depend on others to do the work for them, through the promise they can hope on.
If the color of the person in the image or the color of the person that knocks on their door is what the person focuses on, meanwhile they completely miss the message we are sharing from the Bible then honestly then that is not the type of person we are looking for.
Certainly I am not the type of person the organisation is looking for, because I am observant in regards to the details.
I am attracted to the idea of fixing this planet so the nice imagery in regard to that appeals to me, but the org and its members have no obvious interest in helping to make that happen, preferring as they do, to wait on and help sell a promise that it will be done for all who believe in it.
Also, the reason your might get more people of one color than another is because of where you live. JWs serve their neighbors the majority of the time. So if you live a predominately white area then most likely the JWs in that area are white as well. However, I have served areas where my neighbors were predominately black and my service partner was black too.
An interesting point. The org also teaches its members that knocking on doors canvasing for potential recruits to fill their niche market, is 'serving their neighbors'.
Here is another picture for the discussion. It's another picture of paradise. Yet only a person with a discerning heart will know what paradise I'm referring to. If all one can see is the color of the people they are missing much more.

Not sure why the picture represents an image of 'paradise'. What I do note in the images address line, is the word "assets" - word strongly associated with business, as are suits.
I think the picture represents a reasonable example of the kind of folk that the organisation pursues and attracts, re the niche market.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

William wrote:

Not sure why the picture represents an image of 'paradise'.

The above picture is not an image of paradise, it's an image that represents the inside of a KINGDOM HALL.

QUESTION: What is a "Kingdom Hall"?

ANSWER A "Kingdom Hall" is the name given to the meeting place of Jehovah's Witnesses There are a Kingdom Halls in practically every country on earth, they hold two public meetings twice a week, where they study the bible, pray and sing spiritual songs. Anyone can attend free of charge.

All can participate, both young and old ....

UGANDA, Africa
William wrote: ... whitemiddle-class folk

Continued below ....
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

[Replying to post 8 by JehovahsWitness]

BALLITO, South Africa

British Guiana

Tamil Nadu, INDIA
William wrote: ... whitemiddle-class folk
To see pictures of Kingdom Halls from around the world see the LINK below
https://www.livekingdomhall.com/congreg ... /australia

FURTHER READING What Are JEHOVAHS WITNESSES Meetings Like?
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... witnesses/

What is the Purpose of Church Gatherings?
viewtopic.php?p=1032738#p1032738

NOTE To find out if the Jehovah's Witness artwork representing their Kingdom Halls reflects the reality, you can visit one near you. To find a KINGDOM HALL near you click one THIS LINK
https://apps.jw.org/ui/E/meeting-search ... y-meetings

To learn more please go to other posts related to

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS MEETINGS , KINGDOM HALLS and ... JEHOVAH'S WITNESS MUSIC
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:03 am, edited 6 times in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

William wrote: ...so then the white nuclear family are 'the righteous' .... white middle-class folk...

Jehovah's Witnesses preaching in Africa

QUESTION Do Jehovah's Witnesses deliberately target particular demographics?
  • No, our preaching methods are by design all encompasing. We go from door to door in every neighbourhood where it is legal to do so, thus indescriminately preaching to whomever lives in the home. We neither target wealthy or poor areas and speak to men and women equally. We set up public witness stands at stations and other areas where there are many people and anyone (old or young, rich or poor, black or white) can stop and take our literature. So while we do visit nursing homes to speak to the elderly we also have stands in University campuse to speak there, we visit housewives but also make appointments and visit professionals at their place of work; while we have teams that work in poor villages in Africa or the Amazon, we also have teams that visit doctors, surgeons and healthcare professionals (hardly considered "vulnerable people" on an intellectual or emotional level...) So no, Jehovah's Witnesses do not "target" any particular social, national or linguistic group.

RELATED POSTS

Do all Jehovah's Witnesses preach?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 24#p812724

Do Jehovah's Witnesses preach in ISLAMIC States?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 31#p883531

What is the "good news" Jesus said would be preached worldwide?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 32#p896032

Do Jehovah's witnesses really preach as Jesus commanded?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 26#p933826

Do Jehovahs Witnesses preach informally?
viewtopic.php?p=1094562#p1094562

Are JEHOVAHS WITNESSES the ones that are fulfilling Mat 24:14?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 48#p897648

How can I contact Jehovah's Witnesses ?
viewtopic.php?p=1058289#p1058289

FURTHER READING All True Christians Are Evangelizers
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2002002
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES , PUBLIC PREACHING and ...BIBLE STUDY PROGRAMS,
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.