a second question for non-theists

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

a second question for non-theists

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

Would you ever want a good God figure to exist? Would you ever want an all powerful being who loves you or would you not want it to exist?

Why?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

1angelette
Student

Re: a second question for non-theists

Post #21

Post by 1angelette »

achilles12604 wrote:Would you ever want a good God figure to exist? Would you ever want an all powerful being who loves you or would you not want it to exist?

Why?
No. Have you SEEN how much He hates pretty much everything I hold dear, including wisdom, estrogen, and atheism?

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by achilles12604 »

1angelette wrote:
achilles12604 wrote:Would you ever want a good God figure to exist? Would you ever want an all powerful being who loves you or would you not want it to exist?

Why?
No. Have you SEEN how much He hates pretty much everything I hold dear, including wisdom, estrogen, and atheism?
He hates? Don't you mean "they"hate?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by JoeyKnothead »

1angelette wrote:

Why?
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

A good God I guess would be cool, but all the ones I'm aware of don't fit them britches.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

1angelette
Student

Post #24

Post by 1angelette »

achilles12604 wrote:
1angelette wrote:

Why?
He hates? Don't you mean "they"hate?
No. I mean He hates. When you actually read the old testament (as I once did partially in 6th grade), you see this *really* violent, misogynistic, scary, brawn-before-brains old man in the sky. I'm pretty happy He's not real.

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #25

Post by Fallibleone »

I'm not sure, really. Here's one of those 'it depends what you mean by's that everybody cheers at when they see them in a debate. It depends what you mean by 'good'. People claim that the Christian God is 'good'. I'd have to respectfully disagree. So assuming 'good' to be not like the Christian God, but nice and kind with no bear traps, I shall offer my opinion.

Although I see it as a nice idea, having this all-powerful, good being there, ready to help you out and teach you stuff and so on, I just have this niggling worry about having no say in how my life will pan out. I mean OK, so I'm so special that he has a whole plan worked out for me and all, but heck, I want to find my own way. I'm not a baby.
''''What I am is good enough if I can only be it openly.''''

''''The man said "why you think you here?" I said "I got no idea".''''

''''Je viens comme un chat
Par la nuit si noire.
Tu attends, et je tombe
Dans tes ailes blanches,
Et je vole,
Et je coule
Comme une plume.''''

ShadowRishi
Apprentice

Post #26

Post by ShadowRishi »

Why?
A good God figure who gave you everything you needed and desired?

It probably would get boring fairly fast. Of course, if that God existed, I would have a rather existence.

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #27

Post by BwhoUR »

Why?
No. It would be like a man and his dog and I'm the dog. My dog has a great life, but I would't want to be her.