Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

graphicsguy
Student

Christians

Post #1

Post by graphicsguy »

Hi,

Would any/all of the Christians on this board mind summing up as succinctly as possible just what you personally believe?

Reading through some topics I find it very strange what some of you say (based on what I used to believe) and how much your beliefs differ from each other.

I was very evangelical (pentecostal), believed the Bible was the infallible Word directly from God, baptism in the Holy Spirit, baptism in water, eternal punishment in hell, everlasting glory in heaven, we all have a purpose to bring glory to God, etc.

john_anthony_gonzalez
Student

Re: Christians

Post #2

Post by john_anthony_gonzalez »

graphicsguy wrote:Hi,

Would any/all of the Christians on this board mind summing up as succinctly as possible just what you personally believe?

Reading through some topics I find it very strange what some of you say (based on what I used to believe) and how much your beliefs differ from each other.

I was very evangelical (pentecostal), believed the Bible was the infallible Word directly from God, baptism in the Holy Spirit, baptism in water, eternal punishment in hell, everlasting glory in heaven, we all have a purpose to bring glory to God, etc.
I believe that the bible is the word of God,

Salvation is through faith alone one Christ and what he did for us
John 3:16

Salvation comes from faith alone and not of good behavior or good works
Ephesians 2:8

We can never lose salvation
John 10:28

Some christians find it hard to believe that we dont have to work to get into heaven.

So if a person becomes a christian and then later in life rejects christ, they still get into heaven. And all of this i can prove with scripture

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Goat »

john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:

I believe that the bible is the word of God,

Salvation is through faith alone one Christ and what he did for us
John 3:16

Salvation comes from faith alone and not of good behavior or good works
Ephesians 2:8

We can never lose salvation
John 10:28

Some christians find it hard to believe that we dont have to work to get into heaven.

So if a person becomes a christian and then later in life rejects christ, they still get into heaven. And all of this i can prove with scripture
Well, you can make that claim.. but other people will reject that claim using scripture, and still many many MORE people will reject what you call scripture all together as being from god.

Can you prove scripture with anything other than scripture?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:So if a person becomes a christian and then later in life rejects christ, they still get into heaven. And all of this i can prove with scripture.
I would be interested in seeing this proof. If you are right, I'm on my way to heaven.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

john_anthony_gonzalez
Student

Post #5

Post by john_anthony_gonzalez »

McCulloch wrote:
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:So if a person becomes a christian and then later in life rejects christ, they still get into heaven. And all of this i can prove with scripture.
I would be interested in seeing this proof. If you are right, I'm on my way to heaven.
Well i cant show you proof unless someone kills you
The bible talks about being born again into Gods family at the moment of salvation.

Take this for what it is, once you were born from your parents you cant be unborn from them can you? they can disown you and do what they want with you but the truth is you are still going to be your parents son.

Same thing for our new birth into Gods family that comes from salvation
We might lose relationship with God but we never lose being in his family.
A person can not be born again twice,

the thing is their are many controversial versus that would be disagreeing to this but many of those versus are not taken into context.

Such as the unforgiveable sin
in matt 12:31

The are many ways it can be interpreted,
1 is the stubborn refusal to heed to the holy spirits conviction and accept the forgiveness that Christ offers. So its's not just one rejection of christ its the continuous rejection of Christ to never accept him

2. Once you say anything bad about the holy spirit you condemned to hell

3. Or taking this verse to what its in reference too is which is the leaders of Israel that that he's addressing. Jesus offered all leaders proof that could be expected. The testimony of the Father, the prophecies of the OT, the gift of the Holy Spirit. So because the leaders rejected all proofs regarding Jesus as Messiah, nothing else would be given

So to sum up #3 its basically saying that it doesn't apply to us today because it talking about denying the living christ

so these are a few views of what it could be interpreted as
i believe in both 1,3

feel free to ask more question and congratulation on being saved

read john 10:28-29
Here it explains the security of God's family and salvation. no one can take you out

Vladd44
Sage

Post #6

Post by Vladd44 »

This works out well :D :D

Perhaps I should start calling myself a heaven bound agnostic. :blink: :blink:
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com

bambi
Under Probation

We use one basis and that is the bible

Post #7

Post by bambi »

We use bible as the basis of our belief but we come up with different belief and interpretation.
For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him. 2 Cor. 11:4 KJV

If we are to search for the truth about the word of God there is no other basis but the bible as it was said :
Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them. Isaiah 34:16 KJV

So my question is: Does faith alone enough to save you from hell? How about those who are incapable of having faith? how about those who wasn't reached by the word of God are they damned?

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Confused »

I believe there is a God and that He has afforded me a brain to interpret scripture to mean what He wants it to mean as related to me.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

puddleglum
Sage

Post #9

Post by puddleglum »

john_anthony_gonzalez wrote: So if a person becomes a christian and then later in life rejects christ, they still get into heaven. And all of this i can prove with scripture
If a person becomes a Christian he will never reject Christ. It is possible for a person to make a profession of being a Christian but not really repent of his sins or have true faith. He might even deceive himself and think that he is really a Christian. This type of "Christian" can later turn from the faith and deny Christ, but this rejection is evidence that he was never really saved in the first place. "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they are not of us." (1 John 2:19, ESV)

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by McCulloch »

If you were ever a true Christian, you would never have left the faith. If you leave the faith, you were never a true Christian. You might be deceived and think that you are a Christian. But, if you ever succumb to your doubts, that means that you really are not. You cannot be sure until the time of your death.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John