Question for Christians ...

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Question for Christians ...

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

I am reading a book, The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science, by Natalie Angier, where the author essentially asked hard scientists (those involved in biology, chemistry, physics, etc.) what they thought was most important about science that non-scientists should know.

Why not the same here?

Christians, what are the most important things about Christianity that non-Christians should know. Not in the sense of trying to convert us to your point of view, but the greatest misunderstandings that those outside of the fold might have about you.

Remember, this is for information, not debate.

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by achilles12604 »

My number one thing that I would want non-theists to understand about Christianity is that we do not all agree on just about anything.

If non-theists applied this knowledge when I talked to them, it would certainly shorten our conversations a great deal because I would then not have to re-explain that I agree with them in many aspects of dogmatic religion. I get lumped in with fundamentalist Christians on such a regular basis I have privately stopped using this title to describe my religious beliefs. The first time I described myself as a Theist when asked I felt a little weird, but now I use this title regularly as it saves untold amounts of explaining later regarding the particulars of Christian dogma which I find to be bunk.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #3

Post by OnceConvinced »

It's funny the extremes you can get, Achilles. From my point of view I find that Christians agree on very little. And to me that is a big problem especially when it comes to believing the bible and believing that the holy spirit influences people.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by achilles12604 »

OnceConvinced wrote:It's funny the extremes you can get, Achilles. From my point of view I find that Christians agree on very little. And to me that is a big problem especially when it comes to believing the bible and believing that the holy spirit influences people.
Well that is very refreshing. However, like Christians or theists in general, atheists do not always agree or think the same way. So I appreciate that at least you do not lump us all together where as some others I have debated with here do.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

Cmass
Guru

Post #5

Post by Cmass »

achilles12604 wrote:My number one thing that I would want non-theists to understand about Christianity is that we do not all agree on just about anything.

If non-theists applied this knowledge when I talked to them, it would certainly shorten our conversations a great deal because I would then not have to re-explain that I agree with them in many aspects of dogmatic religion. I get lumped in with fundamentalist Christians on such a regular basis I have privately stopped using this title to describe my religious beliefs. The first time I described myself as a Theist when asked I felt a little weird, but now I use this title regularly as it saves untold amounts of explaining later regarding the particulars of Christian dogma which I find to be bunk.
Ah good....we're making progress! Next step: "I'm a spiritual person". Then "I'm agnostic". And finally, "I'm Atheist". :lol:
"He whose testicles are crushed or whose male member is cut off shall not enter the assembly of the Lord." Deuteronomy 23:1 :yikes:

Cmass
Guru

Re: Question for Christians ...

Post #6

Post by Cmass »

McCulloch wrote:I am reading a book, The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science, by Natalie Angier, where the author essentially asked hard scientists (those involved in biology, chemistry, physics, etc.) what they thought was most important about science that non-scientists should know.

Why not the same here?

Christians, what are the most important things about Christianity that non-Christians should know. Not in the sense of trying to convert us to your point of view, but the greatest misunderstandings that those outside of the fold might have about you.

Remember, this is for information, not debate.
Actually, it may be worth starting another thread to pursue the original question posited by the book - but addressed to Christians. That might produce some fascinating answers:
"As a Christian, what is most important thing to know about science?"
"He whose testicles are crushed or whose male member is cut off shall not enter the assembly of the Lord." Deuteronomy 23:1 :yikes: