What does "Skeptical Christian" really mean?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

There is a usergroup by the name Skeptical Christian that uses the following description:
Description: A person who believes in Jesus Christ as Unique and chosen by God for the salvation of mankind. However, who also recognizes that a great deal of inaccurate fables and information has appeared regarding both Christianity and spirituality as a whole over time and therefore, a careful examination of facts must be administered to ANY claim before accepting it as truth. Without careful examination, people will believe just about anything.
I am sincerely curious about the meaning of "Skeptical Christian" and would like to know more about the views of those who consider themselves to be an "SC". Answers to any or all of the following questions will be appreciated.

1. How, exactly, is a SC different from an Agnostic (or an Agnostic with some theistic tendency)?

2. MUST Jesus be worshiped as DIVINE (a god in human form) for a SC to remain a Christian?

3. What is the meaning of "salvation" to a SC?

4. Can a SC regard the "resurrection" a NOT a literally true event that happened in the real world and still be a Christian?

5. Can bible "miracle tales" be regarded as NOT literally true? Does it make any difference whether the "miracles" and bible stories are literally true or not?

6. Were the Genesis tales of formation of the Earth and origin of life literally true?

7. Was the Earth once flooded "to the tops of mountains" in the opinion of an SC?

8. Are SCs accepted as fellow Christians by more mainstream individuals and groups?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Confused »

MODERATOR ACTION:

Moved to "Questions for a group" as it pertains to the beliefs of a specific usergroup.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

dgruber
Scholar

Post #3

Post by dgruber »

Zzyzx.....
I am sincerely curious about the meaning of "Skeptical Christian" and would like to know more about the views of those who consider themselves to be an "SC". Answers to any or all of the following questions will be appreciated.
I was not familiar with this usergroup but was using the term "skeptical" for my personal approach. I do not know if my views are similar to this usergroup or not, but the description you provided seems to be fairly close.
How, exactly, is a SC different from an Agnostic (or an Agnostic with some theistic tendency)?
1. All agnostics that I know claim to not know if there is a God or not. They have not decided whether they believe in Him or not. On the other hand I believe in God, but question much of the propaganda that I encounter these days. I have chosen not to just cite the common definition of an agnostic, but have applied my personal experience instead.
MUST Jesus be worshiped as DIVINE (a god in human form) for a SC to remain a Christian?
2. My view is that Jesus was a man who became divine upon his Baptism. Yes I believe he must be worshipped as divine.
What is the meaning of "salvation" to a SC?
3. I believe that it is what we do that defines us, not what we say we believe. I have friends that are not religious but are much "better'" people than many christians. Therefore I don't think that you must acknowledge a god, but live for your fellow "man". I would have serious issues if God determined that you could be an amazing person, without acknowledging Him, and not be considered "saved".
Can a SC regard the "resurrection" a NOT a literally true event that happened in the real world and still be a Christian?
I never thought of the resurrection as not being literal until I heard that thought on these boards. I think the resurrection is vital to christianity.
Can bible "miracle tales" be regarded as NOT literally true? Does it make any difference whether the "miracles" and bible stories are literally true or not?
I always looked at miracles as being a way to prove Jesus' divinity to those around him as well as help the ones who needed them. I think they are important but not vital.
Were the Genesis tales of formation of the Earth and origin of life literally true?
In my opinion no.
Was the Earth once flooded "to the tops of mountains" in the opinion of an SC?
I don't know. I know what I have read, but I find it hard to believe. That is not to say it didn't happen, but I simply don't feel qualified enough to say one way or another.
Are SCs accepted as fellow Christians by more mainstream individuals and groups?
Yes until you get into the very conservative groups that think it is "their way or the highway".

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Zzyzx »

Dgruber,

My responses here are not intended to "put you on the spot". Feel free to rephrase my questions if necessary or to omit them. I am not seeking to discredit Skeptical Christianity but to learn how the skepticism is applied – because I am a skeptic "from just across the line". I am not a "Hard Agnostic" or an "Atheist" but am decidedly skeptical about the unsupported claims made by many who debate here as Christians.
dgruber wrote:1. All agnostics that I know claim to not know if there is a God or not. They have not decided whether they believe in Him or not. On the other hand I believe in God, but question much of the propaganda that I encounter these days. I have chosen not to just cite the common definition of an agnostic, but have applied my personal experience instead.
Are you willing to acknowledge that "gods" other than the one you favor may exist?

What is the god like that you believe exists? Is it the "warlike god" of the OT combined with Jesus and perhaps the HG? Does it have human characteristics and emotions?
dgruber wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:MUST Jesus be worshiped as DIVINE (a god in human form) for a SC to remain a Christian?
2. My view is that Jesus was a man who became divine upon his Baptism. Yes I believe he must be worshipped as divine.
Do you reject the "immaculate conception", virgin birth, birth star saga, and all that from the gospels of Luke and Matthew?

Became divine upon baptism loses me. Getting dunked in water did some "miracle" thing that made a human a god?

What happens if Jesus isn't worshiped as divine?

Why would a "god" require "worship"? That seems like a human ego problem projected onto a god (a god made in the image of humans).
dgruber wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:What is the meaning of "salvation" to a SC?
3. I believe that it is what we do that defines us, not what we say we believe. I have friends that are not religious but are much "better'" people than many christians.
I agree that if there was a "supreme being" judging humans (an imaginary scenario in my way of thinking), I cannot imagine the criteria for "salvation" (or whatever) being whether one worshiped strongly enough or the right way – or even whether one worshiped or not.

I know some Christians that are absolute scoundrels. A friend is one of the best con-men I have ever known – a man of immense talent that could be directed to any honest endeavor to great success – but who far prefers "the con". He is a staunch Christian who has swindled thousands of people out of literally millions of dollars (and has served time in prison). After a successful venture he donates very significant amounts to his church and he supports the church in many ways. He makes a point of letting people know he is a Christian (which must make some Christians shudder).
dgruber wrote:Therefore I don't think that you must acknowledge a god, but live for your fellow "man". I would have serious issues if God determined that you could be an amazing person, without acknowledging Him, and not be considered "saved".
If that is the case, how can it be said that Jesus must be worshiped as divine?
dgruber wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:Can a SC regard the "resurrection" a NOT a literally true event that happened in the real world and still be a Christian?
I never thought of the resurrection as not being literal until I heard that thought on these boards. I think the resurrection is vital to christianity.
Some Christians regard the resurrection as being "spiritual" rather than literal. Is that an acceptable belief?
dgruber wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:Can bible "miracle tales" be regarded as NOT literally true? Does it make any difference whether the "miracles" and bible stories are literally true or not?
I always looked at miracles as being a way to prove Jesus' divinity to those around him as well as help the ones who needed them. I think they are important but not vital.
That seems like a reasonable position – and one at odds with many of the Christians I have debated over the years. Most "defend to the death" the stories about "miracles" being literally true.

There seems to be a trend in some versions of Christianity toward accepting the "miracle tales" as being allegorical or parable rather than literal.
dgruber wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:Were the Genesis tales of formation of the Earth and origin of life literally true?
In my opinion no.
I agree, and in my opinion no one knows how the universe or life originated and it is silly to speculate with a claim of knowledge.

It makes no difference in my life whether or not I know the origins of life or the universe.
dgruber wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:Was the Earth once flooded "to the tops of mountains" in the opinion of an SC?
I don't know. I know what I have read, but I find it hard to believe. That is not to say it didn't happen, but I simply don't feel qualified enough to say one way or another.
As a person who has studied geology intensively and taught the subject at college / university level, I am aware that evidence does NOT support any worldwide flooding.
dgruber wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:Are SCs accepted as fellow Christians by more mainstream individuals and groups?
Yes until you get into the very conservative groups that think it is "their way or the highway".
That is interesting. You will or have probably encountered strong opposition by the more fundamental or fanatical members here.

I encountered SC ideas in an environment that was accepting and inviting in the Unitarian Universalist Fellowships. Interesting groups of intelligent, tolerant non-regimented people. www.uua.org
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

dgruber
Scholar

Post #5

Post by dgruber »

Zzyzx,
My responses here are not intended to "put you on the spot". Feel free to rephrase my questions if necessary or to omit them. I am not seeking to discredit Skeptical Christianity but to learn how the skepticism is applied – because I am a skeptic "from just across the line". I am not a "Hard Agnostic" or an "Atheist" but am decidedly skeptical about the unsupported claims made by many who debate here as Christians.
Sounds fair to me.
Are you willing to acknowledge that "gods" other than the one you favor may exist?
I am willing to acknowledge that I might be wrong. I don't believe my faith is any better than any other that I have come across. Who am I to say that I am right and everyone who believes in a different god is wrong? I find it hard to believe that multiple gods exist, but again I won't rule it out.
What is the god like that you believe exists? Is it the "warlike god" of the OT combined with Jesus and perhaps the HG? Does it have human characteristics and emotions?
I believe that God oversees the world we live in, but does not necessarily play an extremely active role in it. I believe He gave us skills to do the things we need to do and minds to make choices. Basically I don't think we should be turning to God for every single problem, but should instead do things for ourselves. It is difficult to say whether God has human characteristics and emotions. The Bible says we were created in his image, so in that respect I would assume He has some degree of "emotions", but I would just be guessing as to what extent.
Do you reject the "immaculate conception", virgin birth, birth star saga, and all that from the gospels of Luke and Matthew?
I do reject immaculate conception. Virgin birth honestly does not seem vital to me. I understand the story in the Bible and why it is taught, but if Mary gave birth to Jesus, the Son of God, would it really be that important that he was born of a virgin? Again this is not something that I personally get hung up on. The birth star seems unlikely to me unless it really was just an "act of God" because I know of no possibility of a star stopping over a single place.
Became divine upon baptism loses me. Getting dunked in water did some "miracle" thing that made a human a god?
I probably spoke too soon on that one. The Bible says something along the lines of heaven opened up and a dove descended on him(don't have a Bible handy to quote the actual line). Many people take this as when he became divine.
What happens if Jesus isn't worshiped as divine?
I assume you mean what happens if he is seen as a great teacher but still human. Personally I think that would make christianity obsolete. If his bones were found I think that would make christianity obsolete because the NT revolves around his divinity.
Why would a "god" require "worship"? That seems like a human ego problem projected onto a god (a god made in the image of humans).
Good point, it does seem like an ego problem. I believe that He wants to be worshiped just like many people want to be told they have done well, or that people like them, etc.
If that is the case, how can it be said that Jesus must be worshiped as divine?
He was divine in the Bible and outside of that we don't know much about him. If people choose not to worship him as divine, where are they getting that information?
Some Christians regard the resurrection as being "spiritual" rather than literal. Is that an acceptable belief?
I believe if the resurrection did not literally happen then christianity is obsolete.
That seems like a reasonable position – and one at odds with many of the Christians I have debated over the years. Most "defend to the death" the stories about "miracles" being literally true.
You are right, most do. I just don't know how you are going to have any evidence of them being literally true.
It makes no difference in my life whether or not I know the origins of life or the universe.
Agreed.
As a person who has studied geology intensively and taught the subject at college / university level, I am aware that evidence does NOT support any worldwide flooding.
I appreciate the information.

I encountered SC ideas in an environment that was accepting and inviting in the Unitarian Universalist Fellowships. Interesting groups of intelligent, tolerant non-regimented people. www.uua.org
Thanks again. I will check it out.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Zzyzx »

Dgruber,

I would like to "shake hands across the line" – we are not very far apart in viewpoint. I don't know why I had earlier thought you were dogmatic. The error was mine. Sorry.

Even though you speak as a Skeptical Christian and I speak as a Skeptical Non-Theist, many of our points of skepticism overlap and our points of disagreement seem less significant than those of agreement.
dgruber wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:Are you willing to acknowledge that "gods" other than the one you favor may exist?
I am willing to acknowledge that I might be wrong. I don't believe my faith is any better than any other that I have come across. Who am I to say that I am right and everyone who believes in a different god is wrong? I find it hard to believe that multiple gods exist, but again I won't rule it out.
We say similar things with "I won't rule it out" and "I could be wrong".
dgruber wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:Do you reject the "immaculate conception", virgin birth, birth star saga, and all that from the gospels of Luke and Matthew?
I do reject immaculate conception. Virgin birth honestly does not seem vital to me. I understand the story in the Bible and why it is taught, but if Mary gave birth to Jesus, the Son of God, would it really be that important that he was born of a virgin? Again this is not something that I personally get hung up on. The birth star seems unlikely to me unless it really was just an "act of God" because I know of no possibility of a star stopping over a single place.
Here again we say very similar things – probably concluding that the stories are not of great (or vital) importance. I would continue on to say that by insisting that they be part of doctrine and "believed on faith alone", Mainline Christianity places itself in opposition to what we know about the real world – and thereby reduces its credibility to discerning (or skeptical) people.
dgruber wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:What happens if Jesus isn't worshiped as divine?
I assume you mean what happens if he is seen as a great teacher but still human. Personally I think that would make christianity obsolete. If his bones were found I think that would make christianity obsolete because the NT revolves around his divinity.
I agree that if Jesus is not divine, Christianity is obsolete.

Another aspect of the question might be – if a person refuses to worship Jesus as portrayed in the bible; a "god incarnate" (god in human form), does the person forfeit "salvation" as seems implied in some statements attributed to Jesus?
dgruber wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:Why would a "god" require "worship"? That seems like a human ego problem projected onto a god (a god made in the image of humans).
Good point, it does seem like an ego problem. I believe that He wants to be worshiped just like many people want to be told they have done well, or that people like them, etc.
It does seem inconsistent that an omnipotent creator of universes would require that humans worship him – under threat of eternal punishment.
dgruber wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:If that is the case, how can it be said that Jesus must be worshiped as divine?
He was divine in the Bible and outside of that we don't know much about him. If people choose not to worship him as divine, where are they getting that information?
I have no idea how or why anyone would worship a non-divine Jesus.
dgruber wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:Some Christians regard the resurrection as being "spiritual" rather than literal. Is that an acceptable belief?
I believe if the resurrection did not literally happen then christianity is obsolete.
Agreed
dgruber wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:That seems like a reasonable position – and one at odds with many of the Christians I have debated over the years. Most "defend to the death" the stories about "miracles" being literally true.
You are right, most do. I just don't know how you are going to have any evidence of them being literally true.
What is questioned about "miracles" is that they are stories about events or feats that supposedly defy nature (or include actions that are contrary to what we now know about the real world we inhabit).

In stories Superman flies through the air and lifts trucks with one hand. In other stories someone walks on water, calms the sea with a command, brings back to life a person who has been dead for days. In some supernatural tales donkeys and snakes converse with humans. There will be no physical evidence thousands of years later (or even immediately afterward) for any or most of these supernatural claims.

However, some supernatural claims should have left clear and unmistakable evidence. The worldwide flood is a prime example. Tellers of the tale had no concept of the immensity of the Earth, its spherical shape, or the configuration its surface. To them forty days of rain might conceivably have flooded every bit of dry land they knew about. However, we who know that the crest of Mt. Everest is almost 30,000 feet above sea level realize that to flood the Earth to that depth would require a rainfall rate of thirty feet per hour. (To verify divide 29,035 feet by 960 hours).

A year-long flood (as per Genesis) should have wiped out all vegetation, all animals, all fresh water fish and of course all humans. The remains (fossils) of these formerly living organisms should be found intermingled where they died or were deposited as sediments. Fossils of dinosaurs, primitive mollusks, fern trees and humans do NOT occur together anywhere in rock layers.

dgruber wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:It makes no difference in my life whether or not I know the origins of life or the universe.
Agreed.
We can allow others to pontificate, speculate and contemplate "the beginning"
dgruber wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:I encountered SC ideas in an environment that was accepting and inviting in the Unitarian Universalist Fellowships. Interesting groups of intelligent, tolerant non-regimented people. www.uua.org
Thanks again. I will check it out.
My wife and I attended some fellowship meetings a few years ago and were very impressed with the intelligence and tolerance of people and the "Principles" of the organization are in keeping with our views:
We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote

1. The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
2. Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
3. Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
4. A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
5. The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
6. The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all;
7. Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
The "services" were nothing like any church we had attended and the lack of dogma was refreshing. We would attend meetings / services at least occasionally, for the intellectual stimulation and fellowship if nothing else, if there was a fellowship within reasonable driving distance of our present location.
Non-Theist

dgruber
Scholar

Post #7

Post by dgruber »

Dgruber,

I would like to "shake hands across the line" – we are not very far apart in viewpoint. I don't know why I had earlier thought you were dogmatic. The error was mine. Sorry.

Even though you speak as a Skeptical Christian and I speak as a Skeptical Non-Theist, many of our points of skepticism overlap and our points of disagreement seem less significant than those of agreement.
I had a feeling we might be fairly close in many of our key viewpoints even though we are on "opposite sides". Shaking hands sounds good to me.