To discuss Jewish topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Jews as a Race?

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I know I'm gonna sound racist here, that is most certainly NOT my intent, but dangitall I can't put this together in a better fashion...

In another thread I see that Jewish folks don't consider themselves a race. As Judaism is a theology / philosophy, it may include folks as diverse as humanity itself, on that there can be no argument.

What I wonder though, is the deal where a person born to a Jewish mother is considered Jewish. Doesn't this imply a race?

I realize Wikipedia is not the be all and end all here, but I searched it for "Jewish Race" specifically, and was redirected to...
Wikipedia: Jews wrote: The Jews (Hebrew: יְהוּדִי�‎ "Yehudim" IPA: jɛhu�di�m), also known as the Jewish people, are a nation and ethnoreligious group originating in the Israelites or Hebrews of the Ancient Near East. The Jewish ethnicity, nationality, and religion are strongly interrelated, as Judaism is the traditional faith of the Jewish nation.[6][7][8] Converts to Judaism, whose status as Jews within the Jewish ethnos is equal to those born into it, have been absorbed into the Jewish people throughout the millennia.
Doesn't "ethnoreligious" indicate such as "Some Jews are of a race", while leaving open the fact that some Jewish members are of other races?

I swear I don't mean to be insulting, but I think of some of the physical stereotypes ('characters' in biology speak), and let's be real, there is some small inkling that we could identify a person as "jewish" (small 'j' to remove religion/philosophy) by some of these physical stereotypes (agreeing that it's not 100% accurate or even close to it). Is this where we differentiate between Jew, and Hebrew? I really don't know, so please don't hate on me.

Is there a particular issue with considering at least some Jews as being of a Jewish race - especially where there is no nefarious intent?

Again, I'm sorry if I come across as racist, and hopefully this discussion can be enlightening to myself and others.

cnorman18

Post #21

Post by cnorman18 »

RobertUrbanek wrote: The issue is clouded by the term "semite," for which the Mirriam-Webster definition includes:

a: a member of any of a number of peoples of ancient southwestern Asia including the Akkadians, Phoenicians, Hebrews, and Arabs

That is clearly a reference to an ethnic or racial group, which leads people to conclude, rightly or not, that a person who is an antisemite is a racist.
I think that that is correct, as far as it goes; antisemitism is not technically racism. I think that it is categorized as a kind of racism more because it is similar to true racism, i.e. it is an irrational hatred of a particular group, than because of an error of definition.

That reference, and others like it, is, on the other hand, often taken as support for an even more grievous error; the claim that "antisemitism" refers, or even can refer, to hatred of Arabs and other related ethnic groups as well. That is not true and never has been. The term "antisemitism," as has been discussed elsewhere, was coined in the late 19th century by one Wilhelm Marr, a German Jew-hater who was trying to find a more palatable and scientific-sounding word to replace the then-curren German word Judenhass, literally "Jew-hate." The word has never meant anything else, and no one has ever suggested that it refers to "Arab-hate" or "Akkadian-hate," for that matter, other than people who are trying to discount antisemitism in some way.

faroukfarouk
Student

Post #22

Post by faroukfarouk »

( 1 ) What Is The Meaning Of The Word Jew And Where It Come From ?
( 2 ) Question ; What Is The Meaning Of The Word Hebrew And Where Did It Come From ?
( 3) .Question ; Is The Word Hebrew '' The Name Of A Tribe Or A People ?
( 4 ) Question ; What Is The Meaning Of The Word '' Israel '' And Where Did It Come From ?
( 5 ),Question ; How Can '' Hebrew '' And '' Israelites '' Be One In The Same , When The Word Hebrew Is Just A Title ?
( 6 ) .Question ; Is The Name '' Israel '' The Name Of A Tribe Or A People ?
( 7 ) . Question ; Where The Descendats Before Abraham Hebrew Israelites ?

Greetings
The above questions are simple and have to be answered.Evading such simple questions means hiding the truth and the truth is what must be exposed.
I will answer the above questions to the best of my ability.

The term Jew originates in the Biblical Hebrew word Yehudi meaning "from the Tribe of Judah", from the Kingdom of Judah.
Simply put it if you are a resident of a land called Judaea then you are called a Jew.Irespective of your race,religion or creed so as long as you a resident of Judah you can be called a Jew.

Will answer the other questions later.

cnorman18

Post #23

Post by cnorman18 »

faroukfarouk wrote: ( 1 ) What Is The Meaning Of The Word Jew And Where It Come From ?
( 2 ) Question ; What Is The Meaning Of The Word Hebrew And Where Did It Come From ?
( 3) .Question ; Is The Word Hebrew '' The Name Of A Tribe Or A People ?
( 4 ) Question ; What Is The Meaning Of The Word '' Israel '' And Where Did It Come From ?
( 5 ),Question ; How Can '' Hebrew '' And '' Israelites '' Be One In The Same , When The Word Hebrew Is Just A Title ?
( 6 ) .Question ; Is The Name '' Israel '' The Name Of A Tribe Or A People ?
( 7 ) . Question ; Where The Descendats Before Abraham Hebrew Israelites ?

Greetings
The above questions are simple and have to be answered.Evading such simple questions means hiding the truth and the truth is what must be exposed.
Assuming that anyone wants to hide anything is a pretty revealing assumption itself.

I will answer the above questions to the best of my ability.

The term Jew originates in the Biblical Hebrew word Yehudi meaning "from the Tribe of Judah", from the Kingdom of Judah.
Simply put it if you are a resident of a land called Judaea then you are called a Jew.Irespective of your race,religion or creed so as long as you a resident of Judah you can be called a Jew.
That "answer" is meaningless. The origin of the word "Jew" is indeed found in the name of the tribe of Judah, one of the twelve sons of Jacob, from which the names of the ancient nation of Judah and the Roman province of Judaea were derived; but that meaning no longer exists, since neither Judah nor Judaea exist.

From the Wikipedia article, here is a better answer:
The Jews (Hebrew: יְהוּדִי�‎‎, Yehudim Israeli pronunciation [jehuˈdim]), also known as the Jewish people, are a nation and an ethnoreligious group, originating in the Israelites or Hebrews of the Ancient Near East. The Jewish ethnicity, nationality, and religion are strongly interrelated, as Judaism is the traditional faith of the Jewish nation. Converts to Judaism, whose status as Jews within the Jewish ethnos is equal to those born into it, have been absorbed into the Jewish people throughout the millennia.
There is more, but that is the first paragraph and the gist. As a definition of "Jew," it will certainly do better than references to nations that no longer exist. We are writing in English, but that does not mean we live in or are from England. I am a Caucasian, but neither I nor my ancestors hail from the Caucasus.

Your agenda is already apparent. Be careful.
Will answer the other questions later.
Please post your sources and references with every "answer" you give, as I do. Wouldn't want to hide the truth, would you?

I shall answer them now. I have corrected your punctuation, though not your excessive use of capitalization. No offense intended; I gather that English is not your first language.
What Is The Meaning Of The Word "Hebrew" And Where Did It Come From ?
From Dictionary.com:
1. a member of the Semitic peoples inhabiting ancient Palestine and claiming descent from Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; an Israelite.
2. a Semitic language of the Afroasiatic family, the language of the ancient Hebrews, which, although not in a vernacular use from 100 b.c. to the 20th century, was retained as the scholarly and liturgical language of Jews and is now the national language of Israel. Abbreviation: Heb

Origin: before 1000; Middle English Hebreu, variant (with H- < Latin ) of Ebreu < Old French < Medieval Latin Ebrēus for Latin Hebraeus < Late Greek Hebraîos < Aramaic ʿIbhraij; replacing Old English Ebrēas (plural) < Medieval Latin Ebrēī
Your remark below, that the word "Hebrew" is "just a title," has no clear meaning. I have to wonder what your source would be for that statement (which IS a statement, and not a question).
Is The Word "Hebrew" The Name Of A Tribe Or A People?
As you can see from the above definition, it once was; but that meaning is obsolete. It makes as much sense to refer to a modern Jew as a "Hebrew" as it does to refer to a modern resident of Iraq as a "Babylonian."

The word is sometimes used as a synonym for "Jew," but as will be seen further down on the page linked, that meaning is either "archaic" or "offensive." Its use in that manner is normally benign and more evidence of ignorance than bigotry; but not always.
What Is The Meaning Of The Word ''Israel '' And Where Did It Come From?
From TheFreeDictionary.com:
1. (Placename)
a republic in SW Asia, on the Mediterranean Sea...
2. (Placename)
a. the ancient kingdom of the 12 Hebrew tribes at the SE end of the Mediterranean
b. the kingdom in the N part of this region formed by the ten northern tribes of Israel in the 10th century bc and destroyed by the Assyrians in 721 bc
3. (Non-Christian Religions / Judaism)
Informal the Jewish community throughout the world

The name, of course, comes from the personal name Israel, which in the Bible (Genesis 32) was given to Jacob, the grandson of Abraham and father of the Twelve Tribes. The name means "strives with God." The descendants of Jacob were known as the Children of Israel, and later simply as Israel, as in meaning (3) above.
How Can ''Hebrew'' And ''Israelites'' Be One In The Same, When The Word "Hebrew" Is Just A Title?
As terms for the Jewish people, both terms are obsolete; but the last qualifying phrase above is a non sequitur. The world "Hebrew" is not "just a title," unless by "title" you mean merely "noun," in which case it has even less meaning.
Is The Name ''Israel'' The Name Of A Tribe Or A People?
Yes; as noted above, the term is used informally to refer to the worldwide Jewish community. It is also, of course, the name of a modern nation-state.
Were The Descendants Before Abraham [sic] Hebrew Israelites?
No. "Descendants" of WHOM "before Abraham," one might ask; but neither the term "Hebrew" nor the term "Israelite" applied to anyone or anything before the time of Abraham's grandson, Jacob, also called Israel. Used together, as "Hebrew Israelites," the phrase is redundant, like "Jewish Rabbi" or "Wealthy Billionaire."

No real need to give your own answers now, but feel free. I think the following conversation might prove illuminating.

I note for the record that your questions above are identical, down to the misspellings, irregular spacing, and idiosyncratic punctuation, to the same set of questions in Post 7 on this very thread, from a member who has since been been banned, RightKnowledge999.

That cannot possibly be a coincidence. Can you tell us why this is so?

faroukfarouk
Student

Post #24

Post by faroukfarouk »

Greetings to all
My humble apologies Charles if my questioning has caused you any grief.Please take it with a pinch of salt..My agenda is to reveal the truth.The truth hurts and is very difficult to stomach.The truth can cause a lot of pain in some tummies and in others it creates cramps.At the end of the day the truth is what we seek in answering the question of Are Jews a Race?
For the record I copied and pasted those questions from RightKnowledge999 postings and I did mention that these simple questions have to be answered.Evading these questions means hiding the truth and the truth must be exposed.I don’t know the reason why RightKnowledge999 was banned?But if he was banned for asking those intelligent questions then frankly the object of this forum is destroyed because debate and dialogue is the only way to expose the truth.
Those intelligent questions if answered truthfully will eventually answer the main question ARE JEWS A RACE?
So far as my English language is concerned you are correct its not my language.Please bear with me if I make mistakes.
Taken note that you mentioned that there is no real need for me to give my own answers.Why?Are we to swallow everything you say as the truth or maybe you afraid that I may expose the truth.The answers that you have given are simply opinion based irrespective of its source and as such they are open to debate.
Note I am in no mood of mud slinging so I will get direct to the subject.
Your
Quote:

The Jews (Hebrew: יְהוּדִי�‎‎, Yehudim Israeli pronunciation [jehuˈdim]), also known as the Jewish people, are a nation and an ethnoreligious group, originating in the Israelites or Hebrews of the Ancient Near East. The Jewish ethnicity, nationality, and religion are strongly interrelated, as Judaism is the traditional faith of the Jewish nation. Converts to Judaism, whose status as Jews within the Jewish ethnos is equal to those born into it, have been absorbed into the Jewish people throughout the millennia.

Is the above true or false?Its definitely 100% flawed and false because it does not include Jews outside the religion of Judaism.I know many Jews that are either atheists or they belong to other religions and that is a fact.Take note no matter where your source of info comes from its open for debate because its opinion based and as such it could be false.

lets take the subject further.
What is the definition of a Jew in Judaic law?

Origins of the Word Jew.
The original name for the people we now call Jews was Hebrews. The word "Hebrew" is first used in the Torah to describe Abraham (Gen. 14:13). The word is apparently derived from the name Eber, one of Abraham's ancestors. Another tradition teaches that the word comes from the word "eyver," which means "the other side," referring to the fact that Abraham came from the other side of the Euphrates, or referring to the fact Abraham was separated from the other nations morally and spiritually.
Another name used for the people is Children of Israel or Israelites, which refers to the fact that the people are descendants of Jacob, who was also called Israel.
The word "Jew" (in Hebrew, "Yehudi") is derived from the name Judah, which was the name of one of Jacob's twelve sons. Judah was the ancestor of one of the tribes of Israel, which was named after him. Likewise, the word Judaism literally means "Judah-ism," that is, the religion of the Yehudim. Other sources, however, say that the word "Yehudim" means "People of God".
Originally, the term Yehudi (Jew)referred specifically to members of the tribe of Judah, as distinguished from the other tribes of Israel. However, after the death of King Solomon, the nation was split into two kingdoms: the kingdom of Judah and the kingdom of Israel (I Kings 12; II Chronicles 10). After that time, the word Yehudi could properly be used to describe anyone from the kingdom of Judah, which included the tribes of Judah, Benjamin and Levi, as well as scattered settlements from other tribes. The most obvious biblical example of this usage is in Esther 2:5, where Mordecai is referred to as both a Yehudi and a member of the tribe of Benjamin.
In the 6th century B.C.E., the kingdom was conquered by Assyria and the ten tribes were exiled from the land (II Kings 17), leaving only the tribes in the kingdom of Judah remaining to carry on Abraham's heritage. These people of the kingdom of Judah were generally known to themselves and to other nations as Yehudim (Jews), and that name continues to be used today.
In common speech, the word "Jew" is used to refer to all of the physical and spiritual descendants of Jacob/Israel, as well as to the patriarchs Abraham and Isaac and their wives, and the word "Judaism" is used to refer to their beliefs.

Who is a Jew?
A Jew is any person whose mother was a Jew or any person who has gone through the formal process of conversion to Judaism. It is important to note that being a Jew has nothing to do with what you believe or what you do. A person born to non-Jewish parents who has not undergone the formal process of conversion but who believes everything that Orthodox Jews believe and observes every law and custom of Judaism is still a non-Jew, even in the eyes of the most liberal movements of Judaism, and a person born to a Jewish mother who is an atheist and never practices the Jewish religion is still a Jew, even in the eyes of the ultra-Orthodox.

What is the definition of a Race?·
1.A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
2.A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution..
3. A genealogical line; a lineage.
4.Humans considered as a group.

Are Jews a Race?
The true facts are in front of you..Use your God given intelligence and decide for yourself.

Once again sorry if the above causes anyone hurt but its the truth and we need to live with it.
Note to all the Prophets names that i used in the above ,May Peace and Blessings be upon them and their families.May the Almighty God advance them to their highest stages of Heaven that he has promised them.

Will continue with the other intelligent questions later.

cnorman18

Post #25

Post by cnorman18 »

faroukfarouk wrote: Greetings to all
My humble apologies Charles if my questioning has caused you any grief.Please take it with a pinch of salt..My agenda is to reveal the truth.The truth hurts and is very difficult to stomach.The truth can cause a lot of pain in some tummies and in others it creates cramps.At the end of the day the truth is what we seek in answering the question of Are Jews a Race?
I have no idea why you think anything you have posted here would cause me any "grief." I see nothing to disagree with, since your references prove beyond doubt that Jews are not a "race." That's a plain fact, and I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. The subject is not controversial.
For the record I copied and pasted those questions from RightKnowledge999 postings and I did mention that these simple questions have to be answered.Evading these questions means hiding the truth and the truth must be exposed.I don’t know the reason why RightKnowledge999 was banned?But if he was banned for asking those intelligent questions then frankly the object of this forum is destroyed because debate and dialogue is the only way to expose the truth.
RightKnowledge999 was banned for repeatedly breaking the rules of this forum; specifically, engaging in personal attacks directed at other members and publicly disputing the rulings of the moderators. He also consistently displayed a distinctly uncivil and even contemptuous attitude toward other members who disagreed with him.

You can go to the "Probation" subforum, scroll down, and see links to the offending posts for yourself.
Those intelligent questions if answered truthfully will eventually answer the main question ARE JEWS A RACE?
So far as my English language is concerned you are correct its not my language.Please bear with me if I make mistakes.
Taken note that you mentioned that there is no real need for me to give my own answers.Why?Are we to swallow everything you say as the truth or maybe you afraid that I may expose the truth.The answers that you have given are simply opinion based irrespective of its source and as such they are open to debate.
Note I am in no mood of mud slinging so I will get direct to the subject.
Your
Quote:

Is the above true or false?Its definitely 100% flawed and false because it does not include Jews outside the religion of Judaism.I know many Jews that are either atheists or they belong to other religions and that is a fact.
"100% flawed and false" is a bit much. If you had bothered to go to the link and read farther down in the article (or read any of a couple of hundred of my own posts on this forum), you would find that fact acknowledged. To self-identify as a Jew does not require the practice of the Jewish religion.
Take note no matter where your source of info comes from its open for debate because its opinion based and as such it could be false.
I have found that to be especially true of those who presume to make pronouncements about what The Truth is, and particularly so when they are speaking with a specific agenda in mind. Just an observation.
lets take the subject further.
What is the definition of a Jew in Judaic law?

Origins of the Word Jew.
The original name for the people we now call Jews was Hebrews. The word "Hebrew" is first used in the Torah to describe Abraham (Gen. 14:13). The word is apparently derived from the name Eber, one of Abraham's ancestors. Another tradition teaches that the word comes from the word "eyver," which means "the other side," referring to the fact that Abraham came from the other side of the Euphrates, or referring to the fact Abraham was separated from the other nations morally and spiritually.
Another name used for the people is Children of Israel or Israelites, which refers to the fact that the people are descendants of Jacob, who was also called Israel.
The word "Jew" (in Hebrew, "Yehudi") is derived from the name Judah, which was the name of one of Jacob's twelve sons. Judah was the ancestor of one of the tribes of Israel, which was named after him. Likewise, the word Judaism literally means "Judah-ism," that is, the religion of the Yehudim. Other sources, however, say that the word "Yehudim" means "People of God".
Originally, the term Yehudi (Jew)referred specifically to members of the tribe of Judah, as distinguished from the other tribes of Israel. However, after the death of King Solomon, the nation was split into two kingdoms: the kingdom of Judah and the kingdom of Israel (I Kings 12; II Chronicles 10). After that time, the word Yehudi could properly be used to describe anyone from the kingdom of Judah, which included the tribes of Judah, Benjamin and Levi, as well as scattered settlements from other tribes. The most obvious biblical example of this usage is in Esther 2:5, where Mordecai is referred to as both a Yehudi and a member of the tribe of Benjamin.
In the 6th century B.C.E., the kingdom was conquered by Assyria and the ten tribes were exiled from the land (II Kings 17), leaving only the tribes in the kingdom of Judah remaining to carry on Abraham's heritage. These people of the kingdom of Judah were generally known to themselves and to other nations as Yehudim (Jews), and that name continues to be used today.
Note the bolding.
In common speech, the word "Jew" is used to refer to all of the physical and spiritual descendants of Jacob/Israel, as well as to the patriarchs Abraham and Isaac and their wives, and the word "Judaism" is used to refer to their beliefs.

Who is a Jew?
A Jew is any person whose mother was a Jew or any person who has gone through the formal process of conversion to Judaism. It is important to note that being a Jew has nothing to do with what you believe or what you do. A person born to non-Jewish parents who has not undergone the formal process of conversion but who believes everything that Orthodox Jews believe and observes every law and custom of Judaism is still a non-Jew, even in the eyes of the most liberal movements of Judaism, and a person born to a Jewish mother who is an atheist and never practices the Jewish religion is still a Jew, even in the eyes of the ultra-Orthodox.

What is the definition of a Race?·
1.A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
Obviously not true of Jews. There are white European Jews, black African Jews, ethnically Japanese, Chinese and East Indian Jews, and Jews of every actual "race" on this planet.
2.A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution..
Likewise not true of Jews. There are Jews who are citizens of virtually all the countries in the world.

3. A genealogical line; a lineage.
Since Jews have accepted converts as full members of the community since the time of Abraham himself, and since my own ancestry is Celtic, that is obviously not true of Jews either.
4.Humans considered as a group.

Jews are definitely members of the HUMAN race. Otherwise, the term "race" does not apply.
Are Jews a Race?
The true facts are in front of you..Use your God given intelligence and decide for yourself.
From all you have posted here (with which I have no argument), it seems very clear indeed that Jews are not a race. Thanks.

One more piece of evidence: Non-Jews, aka "Gentiles," have converted to Judaism and become Jews throughout the millennia, as noted in my first post and as acknowledged in your own quotations. Converts are, by Jewish law, as Jewish as any born Jew. Some of our greatest rabbis were converts, and King David himself was descended from a convert, Ruth, who was born a Moabite.

One cannot "convert" and become a member of a "race." A Caucasian cannot convert and become a Negro; an Australian Aborigine cannot convert and become a Native American; and so on.

Ergo, Jews are not, and never have been, a "race."

Once again sorry if the above causes anyone hurt but its the truth and we need to live with it.
And once again, why should anyone be hurt by this information? It's wholly factual and known to all who have the ability and the desire to look it up.
Note to all the Prophets names that i used in the above ,May Peace and Blessings be upon them and their families.May the Almighty God advance them to their highest stages of Heaven that he has promised them.

Will continue with the other intelligent questions later.
I look forward to the conversation.

faroukfarouk
Student

Post #26

Post by faroukfarouk »

Peaceful Greetings to all.
Charles I see you have jumped the gun.Hold on to your horses.The subject matter has only begun.
Glad to hear that RightKnowledge999 was banned for repeatedly breaking the rules of the forum and not banned for asking these intelligent questions.It now gives me greater encouragement in taking the subject matter further.
Note my continuous apologies is a result of my religious upbringing and if I continue apologizing then it will be for others that will also be reading the thread.
Once again the agenda is to extract the truth.The truth and nothing but the truth is what will answer the question of Are Jews a Race?Taken note of your suspicion so far as agenda is concerned.Nothing new because it seems all Jews have the same concern when it comes to questioning their beliefs are concerned.
Back to the subject.

Who is a Jew?

From the above definition of who is a Jew we can accurately state without any doubt.
1.A Jew is a person and nor a religion.
2.A Jew is a selective person.
Selective because not everyone can become a Jew.One has to fulfill cetain critea in order to become a Jew.

Charles some questions for you.
lets look at some examples to see who can become a Jew?
1.If a Jewish man marries a non-Jewish Women.
Can the women become a Jew?
What will the status of the children be so far as being Jewish?
2.If a Jewish women marries a non-Jewish man.
Can the man become a Jew?
What is the status of the children be so far as being Jewish?
3.Can a non-Jewish man and a non-Jewish women become a Jew?
What will become of their childrens status?
Await your answer.

Once again sorry if the above subject causes anyone any pain.
Have a blessed day and may God be with you all.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #27

Post by Goat »

faroukfarouk wrote: Peaceful Greetings to all.
Charles I see you have jumped the gun.Hold on to your horses.The subject matter has only begun.
Glad to hear that RightKnowledge999 was banned for repeatedly breaking the rules of the forum and not banned for asking these intelligent questions.It now gives me greater encouragement in taking the subject matter further.
Note my continuous apologies is a result of my religious upbringing and if I continue apologizing then it will be for others that will also be reading the thread.
Once again the agenda is to extract the truth.The truth and nothing but the truth is what will answer the question of Are Jews a Race?Taken note of your suspicion so far as agenda is concerned.Nothing new because it seems all Jews have the same concern when it comes to questioning their beliefs are concerned.
Back to the subject.

Who is a Jew?

From the above definition of who is a Jew we can accurately state without any doubt.
Selective because not everyone can become a Jew.One has to fulfill cetain critea in order to become a Jew.

Yes, the woman can go through the conversion process, and become Jewish. Those children she has before becoming Jewish are not considered Jews until they choose to convert. Those children who are born after she formally convert are considered Jewish.

If a Jewish woman marries a non-Jewish man, the man can convert to be a Jew. The status of the children is that they are Jewish.. although they might not be of the Jewish faith.

Await your answer.
Both a Non-Jewish man and a non-Jewish woman can convert, and become Jewish. Any child who is born after they have formally converted are considered Jewish. Any child who is born before that of course can go through the conversion process if they so choose.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

cnorman18

Post #28

Post by cnorman18 »

Goat's answers were correct in every case. Let me repeat them at perhaps slightly longer length.

All these questions have long since been settled among Jews -- and all these are matters which are and may be determined by Jews alone, just as who is or is not a Catholic may only be determined by Catholics, and who is or is not a Muslim may only be determined by Muslims. No one has either the warrant or the authority to make pronouncements about the proper beliefs or practices of a religion that is not his own.
faroukfarouk wrote: Peaceful Greetings to all.
Once again the agenda is to extract the truth.The truth and nothing but the truth is what will answer the question of Are Jews a Race?
Agreed. But why do you assume that you get to define "the truth" and Jewish law and tradition do not?
Taken note of your suspicion so far as agenda is concerned.
What "suspicion"? It becomes clearer with every post.
Nothing new because it seems all Jews have the same concern when it comes to questioning their beliefs are concerned.
Good example. As soon as you make a statement about "all Jews" you are betraying a certain tendency toward prejudice and stereotype.

The concerns of many Jews -- though certainly not all -- in these areas are very solidly based in century upon century of history. Our beliefs and practices have been misrepresented over and over, in very many ways, and usually deliberately and for polemic purposes. I won't apologize for my wariness, especially since this has happened many times on this very forum (not incidentally by RightKnowledge999, though that was not the reason he was banned).
Back to the subject.

Who is a Jew?
A Jew is any person whose mother was a Jew or any person who has gone through the formal process of conversion to Judaism.
That is correct, and that second meaning is precisely why Jews are not and cannot be considered a "race."
It is important to note that being a Jew has nothing to do with what you believe or what you do.
That is not entirely accurate, as we will see in a moment.
A person born to non-Jewish parents who has not undergone the formal process of conversion but who believes everything that Orthodox Jews believe and observes every law and custom of Judaism is still a non-Jew, even in the eyes of the most liberal movements of Judaism, and a person born to a Jewish mother who is an atheist and never practices the Jewish religion is still a Jew, even in the eyes of the ultra-Orthodox.
Both true; but you seem to be avoiding the case if the convert, who was not born Jewish but who becomes a Jew, specifically for reasons of religious belief, which has to do with "what you believe," or because of Jewish ethical ideals, Jewish traditions, and/or Jewish customs and religious practices, which have to do with "what you do." Also, very many (and probably most) born Jews as well as converts would be very puzzled indeed to hear that "being a Jew has nothing to do with what you believe or what you do."
"Jew" is a noun which refers to a person. "Judaism" is a noun which refers to a religion. But it's way beyond obvious that very many Jews practice Judaism. Pretending that the "persons called Jews" and "the religion called Judaism" are mutually exclusive or unrelated terms is ludicrous -- and quite obviously is intended to support some agenda or other.
Selective because not everyone can become a Jew.
That is a falsehood. Anyone can become a Jew. The only thing that bars any person from becoming a Jew is denial of (as opposed to doubts about) the tenets of the Jewish religion -- which of course proves that Jews and the Jewish religion ARE related terms.
One has to fulfill cetain critea in order to become a Jew.
Please tell us what you think they are.

The FACT is that the only "criteria" for becoming a Jew are a wish to become one of the Jewish people and a belief that falls along the very broad spectrum of Jewish beliefs.
Of course. Happens all the time; one of the most common reasons that people begin to investigate the Jewish religion and eventually convert -- falling in love with a Jew.
As Goat said; any children born before the woman's conversion will only be Jewish if they go through the conversion process themselves; any children born AFTER the woman's conversion are Jewish from birth, because they were born to a Jewish mother.
Same answer as above. A very common occurrence in any synagogue.
All the children are Jewish whether the man converts or not.
Again; it happens all the time. Just a couple of months ago in our synagogue, an entire family converted to Judaism that was formerly Christian. Father, mother, two adult children and two minor children, all went through instruction, expressed their commitment to Judaism and the Jewish community, were declared Jewish by a rabbinical court, and formally became Jews in the rites of milah (for males; circumcision) and mikvah (the ritual bath).

I know a couple who met in their conversion class and were married -- whether before or after their conversions I do not know, nor does it matter. I know of several married couples in our small congregation who are both converts, and many where one is.

Nobody makes any distinction in Judaism between those who are Jewish by conversion and those who were born Jewish. Such distinctions are forbidden as a matter of ancient Jewish law and tradition.
Again; children born before their parents' conversion will have to formally convert themselves; those born after their parents' conversion are Jewish from birth.
Await your answer.
There it is. You'll notice that there is no group or circumstance that bars anyone from converting.

Tell me, what did you think "the truth" was, where those questions are concerned?
Once again sorry if the above subject causes anyone any pain.
And once again, why would you expect that any pain would be caused?
Have a blessed day and may God be with you all.
And may God bless you as well.

faroukfarouk
Student

Post #29

Post by faroukfarouk »

Peaceful greetings to all
Tks to Charles and Goat on your replys.Very interesting indeed.
Goat tks for joining the conversation and debate.Your input is most welcome as it will add value to the subject.
Charles
Firstly.
On the Post 25: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:02 am Your statement reads as ff.
[font=Arial]“From all you have posted here (with which I have no argument)�[/font]
On the Post 28: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:57 pm Your statement reads as ff.
Quote:
It is important to note that being a Jew has nothing to do with what you believe or what you do.
[font=Arial]“That is not entirely accurate, as we will see in a moment�.[/font]

On the Fri Sep21 you accepted the definition of a Jew and on Sat Sep22 you backtrack on your word by arguing on what you have already accepted.It seems you not sure of yourself.Maybe its your suspicion that’s affecting your mind or you have an agenda of evading the truth.Please keep an open mind in answering questions so as not to backtrack and become argumental on what is already accepted as the truth.

Second
Your Quote
[font=Arial]“ All these questions have long since been settled among Jews -- and all these are matters which are and may be determined by Jews alone, just as who is or is not a Catholic may only be determined by Catholics, and who is or is not a Muslim may only be determined by Muslims. No one has either the warrant or the authority to make pronouncements about the proper beliefs or practices of a religion that is not his own�.[/font]

You are 100% correct but what are you implying?Should i not ask questions about your beliefs?Sounds more like you want to evade the question of weather Jews are a Race?Or maybe it’s the sensitivity of the question Are Jews a Race?I did warn you it’sa a painful road ahead and we have only scratched the surface of the subject.Expect much more pain because the road ahead will get extremely bumpy.

Third
Your Quote
[font=Arial]“Good example. As soon as you make a statement about "all Jews" you are betraying a certain tendency toward prejudice and stereotype�.[/font]
You are correct my apiologies.I retrack those words from “all Jews� to read�most Jews�.

Faith
Your Quote
[font=Arial]“Agreed. But why do you assume that you get to define "the truth" and Jewish law and tradition do not?�[/font]

For the record my name is Farouk.The meaning of my name is “discerning truth from falsehood�.Now if you not happy with that then you just got to get use to living with it.

Fifth
“It is important to note that being a Jew has nothing to do with what you believe or what you do�.
You ought to to read this in its proper contex.Simply means those that are born from a Jewish mother and leave the religion of Judaism are still regarded as Jews.Hence you get atheist Jews,Christian Jews,Islamic Jews etc.

Sixth
[font=Arial]“"Jew" is a noun which refers to a person. "Judaism" is a noun which refers to a religion. But it's way beyond obvious that very many Jews practice Judaism. Pretending that the "persons called Jews" and "the religion called Judaism" are mutually exclusive or unrelated terms is ludicrous -- and quite obviously is intended to support some agenda or other�.[/font]

The word Jew refers to a person hence a noun.100% correct.
The word Judaism is a noun derived from the word Juda(name of a place also noun).Hence the word Juda-ism (Judaism).Its an ism. Name given to a belief( religion).
The word Jewish is an adjective and is derived from the word Jew.In grammar an adjective is a describing word and the main syntactic role of which is to qualify a noun or noun phrase hence giving more information about the object.
Note its childish to play around with words to suit your agenda of evading the subject matter of weather Jews are a Race?Jew or Jewish can never be a religion.Don’t even think about it.So if anyone says Jewish religion it is totally incorrect because there are atheist Jews,there are Islamic Jews,there are Christian Jews,etc.The bottom line is once you become a Jew you will remain a Jew for life irrespective of your religious beliefs thereafter.Although the majority of Jews belong to the religion of Judaism that does not make the word Jewish a religion.

Seven
Taken note that the subject,are Jews a Race, does not cause you any pain.Note you cannot speak for others that read my postings so stop harping on my asking others for forgiveness.Once again its my religious upbringing right to ask those for forgiveness whom it causes pain because religion is a very sensitive subject.

Back to the main subject.
More questions.
1.Are same sex marriage allowed in Judaism?
2.Can two homosexuals become Jews?
3.What does the Torah say regarding interfaith marriage?
For the ignorant please explain Torah.
4.What does the Talmud say regarding interfaith marriage?
For the ignorant please explain Talmud..
5.What does the Deuteronomic law say regarding interfaith marriage?
For the ignorant please explain Deuteronomic law .
6.Can Palestinian become Jews?
7.Historically was converts to Judaism allowed?
.8.Historically was intermarriage to Judaism allowed?
9.What are the Torah and Talmud views regarding converts into Judaism?
10.Who was the first Man and Women to be called a Jew?
11.Can converts into Judaism marry priests?
If answer is no please explain fully why not.
12.Can the children of converts marry priests?

More questions will follow after the above have been answered.

Finally lets compile what we have already discussed.
1.A Jew is a person.An individual identity.Not a religion.
2.In order to become a Jew,one has to accept the Judaism religion fully.
3.Once a Jew ,you remain a Jew for life.
4.Jews that reverts to another religion are still regarded as Jews.
5.Juda-ism(Judaism) is the name of a religion.

Once again my apologies if the subject causes any one pain.
God bless you all and have a wonderful day.

cnorman18

Post #30

Post by cnorman18 »

faroukfarouk wrote: Peaceful greetings to all
Tks to Charles and Goat on your replys.Very interesting indeed.
Goat tks for joining the conversation and debate.Your input is most welcome as it will add value to the subject.
Charles
Firstly.
On the Post 25: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:02 am Your statement reads as ff.
“From all you have posted here (with which I have no argument)�

On the Post 28: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:57 pm Your statement reads as ff.
Quote:
You edited out the rest of that quote. It actually reads, “From all you have posted here (with which I have no argument), ), it seems very clear indeed that Jews are not a race. Thanks.�
“That is not entirely accurate, as we will see in a moment�.

On the Fri Sep21 you accepted the definition of a Jew and on Sat Sep22 you backtrack on your word by arguing on what you have already accepted.
Not true. There’s no point in my reposting things that are already on the record; anyone can scroll up and see exactly what I said. I agreed with the material you posted, which was entirely factual; I did NOT agree with the conclusions YOU apparently drew from it, including your supposed “definition of a Jew,� which entailed ignoring much of that very material which contradicts it directly.

Do not try to put words in my mouth or make claims about what I do or do not believe or what I do and do not agree with. I can speak for myself, and I speak very clearly.
It seems you not sure of yourself.Maybe its your suspicion that’s affecting your mind or you have an agenda of evading the truth.Please keep an open mind in answering questions so as not to backtrack and become argumental on what is already accepted as the truth.
Please do not claim to be able to read my mind. Please do not attribute any agenda of ‘evading the truth’ to me, because that constitutes a personal attack and an insult. Please do not speak for me on what is “already accepted as the truth.�

Sorry, but twisting what I say into shapes that are convenient to your argument does not constitute actual, rational, and ethical debate; neither does voicing your OWN suspicions.
Second
Your Quote
“ All these questions have long since been settled among Jews -- and all these are matters which are and may be determined by Jews alone, just as who is or is not a Catholic may only be determined by Catholics, and who is or is not a Muslim may only be determined by Muslims. No one has either the warrant or the authority to make pronouncements about the proper beliefs or practices of a religion that is not his own�.

You are 100% correct but what are you implying?Should i not ask questions about your beliefs?
Did I say that? You are putting words in my mouth again.
Sounds more like you want to evade the question of weather Jews are a Race?Or maybe it’s the sensitivity of the question Are Jews a Race?
Mindreading again. Let me warn YOU: I have very little patience for that sort of thing. I’m not evading any question at all here; as far as I’m concerned, the question of whether “Jews are a Race� is already decided from the material that you yourself have posted. One cannot “convert� and change one’s “race�; therefore Jews cannot be a “race.� Period, full stop.

Much of the rest of your confusion comes from the fact that the term “Jew� can be used in several different ways. Surely you know this. One may be a cultural Jew, or a Jew by heritage or ancestry, but not practice the Jewish religion; or, one may practice the Jewish religion as a convert to Judaism and be a Jew in that way. To be “Jewish� can mean “one who practices Judaism� or it may mean “one who self-identifies as a member of the Jewish community.� It most often means both. You are trying to limit the use of the word to one of those definitions only and eliminate the other. That just isn’t accurate, and it isn’t objectively true.
I did warn you it’sa a painful road ahead and we have only scratched the surface of the subject.Expect much more pain because the road ahead will get extremely bumpy.
I don’t think it’s going to be “bumpy� or “painful� for ME, because I don’t agree with your reasoning or your interpretation of the material you keep posting, which seems to contradict your “conclusions� anyway. It might get bumpy for YOU...

I note that you’re already characterizing this as an argument with an opponent intent on deception and evasion. That says quite a lot about your attitudes and agenda, and nothing whatever about mine.
Third
Your Quote
“Good example. As soon as you make a statement about "all Jews" you are betraying a certain tendency toward prejudice and stereotype�.
You are correct my apiologies.I retrack those words from “all Jews� to read�most Jews�.
Sorry, but that’s no better. “Most blacks are criminals� is no better than “all blacks are criminals.� A stereotype is a stereotype, and you don’t get to claim it’s legitimate by diluting it only slightly. “A few Jews� I might accept, but one could say quite anything about “a few Jews� and it’s therefore of doubtful importance. Let’s just say that ringing in generalizations to ANY degree here -- that is, any assertion with the assumption that “Jews are different� in their character, or indeed in any way other than in their religion and/or culture -- is not helping your credibility.
Faith
Your Quote
“Agreed. But why do you assume that you get to define "the truth" and Jewish law and tradition do not?�

For the record my name is Farouk.The meaning of my name is “discerning truth from falsehood�.Now if you not happy with that then you just got to get use to living with it.
Your name gives you no authority whatever, of course. One wonders why you think it would matter.

Perhaps you should get used to your claims and pronouncements being ignored as being of no importance. To give an obvious analogy, why would a Muslim accept the opinion of a non-Muslim about the nature of Islam and what “Muslim� means as definitive and correct over the teachings and traditions of his own religion? If I were to begin making pronouncements about Islam and the character and teachings of Muslims, would you bow down to me and accept them?
Fifth
“It is important to note that being a Jew has nothing to do with what you believe or what you do�.
You ought to to read this in its proper contex.Simply means those that are born from a Jewish mother and leave the religion of Judaism are still regarded as Jews.Hence you get atheist Jews,Christian Jews,Islamic Jews etc.
And of course that much is true; but once again, you are ignoring the case of the convert, in which the religion is the whole point. That is not trivial; a very high proportion of Jews are converts and that has always been true. Therefore, it is simply and objectively wrong to say that “being a Jew has nothing to do with what you believe or what you do.�

Ignoring points as if they had never been made isn’t debating, either. Let’s not pretend that it is.
Sixth
“"Jew" is a noun which refers to a person. "Judaism" is a noun which refers to a religion. But it's way beyond obvious that very many Jews practice Judaism. Pretending that the "persons called Jews" and "the religion called Judaism" are mutually exclusive or unrelated terms is ludicrous -- and quite obviously is intended to support some agenda or other�.

The word Jew refers to a person hence a noun.100% correct.
The word Judaism is a noun derived from the word Juda(name of a place also noun).Hence the word Juda-ism (Judaism).Its an ism. Name given to a belief( religion).
The word Jewish is an adjective and is derived from the word Jew.In grammar an adjective is a describing word and the main syntactic role of which is to qualify a noun or noun phrase hence giving more information about the object.
Rather confidently spoken from one who admits that he is unfamiliar with the English language.

Here are three (3) definitions of the word “Jew� from respected dictionaries. Notice that all three make reference to RELIGION.

From Dictionary.com:
Jew   [joo]
noun
1. one of a scattered group of people that traces its descent from the Biblical Hebrews or from postexilic adherents of Judaism; Israelite.
2. a person whose religion is Judaism.
a subject of the ancient kingdom of Judah.
From Merriam-Webster:
Jew noun \ˈjü\

Definition of JEW
1a : a member of the tribe of Judah

1b : israelite

2: a member of a nation existing in Palestine from the sixth century b.c. to the first century a.d.

3: a person belonging to a continuation through descent or conversion of the ancient Jewish people

4: one whose religion is Judaism
FromThe Free Dictionary:
Jew  (j)
n.
1. An adherent of Judaism as a religion or culture.
2. A member of the widely dispersed people originally descended from the ancient Hebrews and sharing an ethnic heritage based on Judaism.
3. A native or inhabitant of the ancient kingdom of Judah.
I don’t think it could be much clearer.
Note its childish to play around with words to suit your agenda of evading the subject matter of weather Jews are a Race?
Oh, I quite agree; but it’s been rather clear here for some time that YOU are doing precisely that, and no one else.
Jew or Jewish can never be a religion.Don’t even think about it.
Objectively false, and I have proven it so in several different ways now.

And I’ll think about whatever I like, thanks.
So if anyone says Jewish religion it is totally incorrect because there are atheist Jews,there are Islamic Jews,there are Christian Jews,etc.The bottom line is once you become a Jew you will remain a Jew for life irrespective of your religious beliefs thereafter.Although the majority of Jews belong to the religion of Judaism that does not make the word Jewish a religion.
Again; the word “Jew� may be used in at least two different ways. One of them is “follower of the Jewish religion, which is called Judaism.� One may be a Jew by ancestry and practice another religion; or, one may be a Jew by practicing the Jewish religion and by conversion, and not be Jewish by ancestry. Those are just the facts, and they are quite clear. That the concept is not the same as in other religions is irrelevant. Judaism is unique in many ways, and that is one of them.
Seven
Taken note that the subject,are Jews a Race, does not cause you any pain.
Certainly not, because we aren’t a “race.� Never were. Never will be. You can’t change your “race.� Another point you keep ignoring.
Note you cannot speak for others that read my postings so stop harping on my asking others for forgiveness.Once again its my religious upbringing right to ask those for forgiveness whom it causes pain because religion is a very sensitive subject.
Okay. My only problem is that you keep ASSUMING that others are going to “feel pain,� and there is no evidence whatever of that. People rarely feel “pain� at reading wrongheaded or erroneous ideas. Amusement, perhaps.
Back to the main subject.
More questions.
1.Are same sex marriage allowed in Judaism?
Depends on the branch of the Jewish religion that we’re talking about. Orthodox, no; Reform, yes, in some congregations; Conservative, same.

You might bear in mind that there is no central authority in the Jewish religion. There is no Jewish Pope, no Council of Elders, nothing. Hasn’t been any such authority since the fourth century CE. Every congregation is independent; even the “branches� are matters of voluntary association, and their boards and committees serve only in an advisory capacity.
2.Can two homosexuals become Jews?
Yes. So can one homosexual, or three. Two Lutherans can become Jews, or they can become a Catholic and a Jew, or a Methodist and a Buddhist. Odd question.
3.What does the Torah say regarding interfaith marriage?
Depends on which passage one reads. In some places it’s forbidden; in others, it’s encouraged, e.g. in the book of Ruth. Ruth was a Gentile -- in fact, a Moabite, ancestral enemies of the Jews -- and was a convert as a result of intermarriage, and she was one of the ancestors of the paradigmatic Jewish King, David.
For the ignorant please explain Torah.
The ignorant can look it up for themselves, or you can give your own interpretation. You aren’t my professor, and I don’t feel any obligation to jump through your hoops.
4.What does the Talmud say regarding interfaith marriage?
The same situation applies. It depends on where you read. In its 50+ volumes in English, one can find many, many opinions; not surprising, since it is essentially a record of a few centuries of debate and argument.
For the ignorant please explain Talmud..
I’ll decline again. I’m not your graduate assistant.

I’d be very interested to see YOUR explanation of the Talmud.
5.What does the Deuteronomic law say regarding interfaith marriage?
Depends where you read, again. If your point is that there is no one definitive doctrine, you would be correct.
For the ignorant please explain Deuteronomic law .
No.
6.Can Palestinian become Jews?
Yes. They may not continue practicing Islam, just as Christians may not continue practicing the Christian religion; but they sure can convert, and many have.
7.Historically was converts to Judaism allowed?
Yes, throughout Jewish history. During the Roman period, the number of Jews in the world doubled in a very short time; most of this growth was due to conversions.
.8.Historically was intermarriage to Judaism allowed?
Again, it depended on the period and the community. Many of Solomon’s wives were Gentiles. Conversion was often considered a prerequisite, but not always.
9.What are the Torah and Talmud views regarding converts into Judaism?
(Sigh) Yet again, it depends on what passage you read. The Torah is generally encouraging of conversion, and is unequivocal about non-Jews being treated with fairness and compassion; “Do not oppress the stranger, for you were strangers in Egypt� is repeated many times. In the Talmud, though there are a few places where converts are disparaged, for the most part they are praised and encouraged. In fact, in Midrash Tanhuma B Lech Lecha 6, it is said that “Converts are dearer to God than the Jews who stood at Mt. Sinai.  Why?  Because had those Jews not beheld the thunder and lightning, the mountains quaking and the sounds of the horn, they would not have accepted the Torah.  But the convert, who saw none of these things, came and voluntarily embraced the Torah and the Jewish people.  Could anyone be more beloved to God?�
10.Who was the first Man and Women to be called a Jew?
By tradition, that would be Abraham and Sarah, even though it is an anachronism (since they lived before the kingdom of Judah, or even the son of Jacob by that name, existed).
11.Can converts into Judaism marry priests?
I’d LOVE to see what sources you’re looking at.

First, there are no longer any “priests� in Judaism and have not been since the fall of the Second Temple in 70 CE. There are “Cohens� or Kohanim, who are traditionally said to be descended from Aaron and are therefore of the priestly tribe; but they no longer hold any authority in the Jewish religion, and in fact take no role at all other than in a few old traditions, such as giving a certain blessing on some holidays.

Converts may certainly marry Cohens; it happens all the time. In the tradition, that Cohen would lose his status as a Cohen, but since that hardly matters anyway, it’s not much of a concern. It may be among the Orthodox.
12.Can the children of converts marry priests?
Again, certainly. The child of a convert is considered fully Jewish in every case.

A convert may not become High Priest. That is about the only restriction on converts in the Jewish religion; but since there hasn't been a High Priest, or a Temple in which he could officiate, for two thousand years, that is of doubtful importance.
More questions will follow after the above have been answered.
I’d like to hear some of YOUR answers first. The only one you’ve given so far -- that Jews constitute a “race� -- has been shown to be objectively and verifiably wrong. How about it? Let’s see what your “truth� is on these questions -- and from what sources you’ve gotten it.
Finally lets compile what we have already discussed.
1.A Jew is a person.An individual identity.Not a religion.
Wrong, as has been proven.
2.In order to become a Jew,one has to accept the Judaism religion fully.
Doesn't that directly contradict your claim that "being a Jew has nothing to do with what you believe or what you do"?

In any case, "accepting the Jewish religion" does not mean, as in the case of most if not all other religions, accepting a set of doctrines or dogmas; in the case of Judaism, it is about commitment to a community, not a belief. One may convert even in branches, like Reconstructionist or Humanistic Judaism, where belief in God is optional or nonexistent.
3.Once a Jew ,you remain a Jew for life.
That is correct, as far as Jewish law is concerned; but one may cease practicing the Jewish religion. 
 One more time: There is more than one meaning for the word "Jew." "One of the Jewish race" is not one of them.
4.Jews that reverts to another religion are still regarded as Jews.
In a cultural or ancestral sense, but not in the sense of practicing the Jewish religion.
5.Juda-ism(Judaism) is the name of a religion.
Correct; the one practiced by Jews.

Sorry if you’re having a hard time with this concept; you’re not the first, and you won’t be the last. That’s of little concern to Jews. We get to answer these questions for ourselves, and the opinions of others are of no importance (just as the opinions of non-Muslims about the nature of Islam are of no importance to Muslims).
Once again my apologies if the subject causes any one pain.
And once again, I have no idea why it would. You might want to look up the word "condescending" sometime.
God bless you all and have a wonderful day.
And the same to you.