To discuss Jewish topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Jews as a Race?

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I know I'm gonna sound racist here, that is most certainly NOT my intent, but dangitall I can't put this together in a better fashion...

In another thread I see that Jewish folks don't consider themselves a race. As Judaism is a theology / philosophy, it may include folks as diverse as humanity itself, on that there can be no argument.

What I wonder though, is the deal where a person born to a Jewish mother is considered Jewish. Doesn't this imply a race?

I realize Wikipedia is not the be all and end all here, but I searched it for "Jewish Race" specifically, and was redirected to...
Wikipedia: Jews wrote: The Jews (Hebrew: יְהוּדִי�‎ "Yehudim" IPA: jɛhu�di�m), also known as the Jewish people, are a nation and ethnoreligious group originating in the Israelites or Hebrews of the Ancient Near East. The Jewish ethnicity, nationality, and religion are strongly interrelated, as Judaism is the traditional faith of the Jewish nation.[6][7][8] Converts to Judaism, whose status as Jews within the Jewish ethnos is equal to those born into it, have been absorbed into the Jewish people throughout the millennia.
Doesn't "ethnoreligious" indicate such as "Some Jews are of a race", while leaving open the fact that some Jewish members are of other races?

I swear I don't mean to be insulting, but I think of some of the physical stereotypes ('characters' in biology speak), and let's be real, there is some small inkling that we could identify a person as "jewish" (small 'j' to remove religion/philosophy) by some of these physical stereotypes (agreeing that it's not 100% accurate or even close to it). Is this where we differentiate between Jew, and Hebrew? I really don't know, so please don't hate on me.

Is there a particular issue with considering at least some Jews as being of a Jewish race - especially where there is no nefarious intent?

Again, I'm sorry if I come across as racist, and hopefully this discussion can be enlightening to myself and others.

cnorman18

Post #41

Post by cnorman18 »

faroukfarouk wrote: Peaceful greetings to all.
Firstly
I thank you for admitting to you error.It really pleases me.
Secondly.
Your apology, regarding my English language, is accepted.

It takes a man to admit to an error and apologize for his mistakes.

Back to the subject.
The word Judaism is the name of a religion.
Judaism is derived from the word Judah(name of a place) and –ism is a suffix added to the end of a word to indicate that the word represents a specific practice, system, or philosophy.Hence we get the word Juda-ism(Judaism) name of a religion. Often these practices, systems, or philosophies are political ideologies or artistic movements. Using –ism at the end of a word also suggests the word is related to a belief accepted as an authority by a group or school of thought.

Charles
1.Do you agree with all the above?
2..Does the word “Judaism� appear in the Hebrew Scriptures or in the Talmud?
3.If your answer is yes provide us with concrete proof.
4.If your answer is no then who invented “Judaism� as a religion?
I thought you wanted to talk about the question, "ARE JEWS A RACE?"

I have answered all of your questions up to now, politely, civilly, and factually. Before I jump through any more of your hoops, I want you to answer some of MY questions. Start with this one, that I have asked three or four times now:

Can a person's "race" be changed?

Yes or no?

And while we're at it, I'd like to see an apology from YOU, for your false accusations of "uncivil, disrespectful and provoking behavior," of "childish mudslinging," of making threats, of "twisting and mincing words," of outright racism, and of deception and having a hidden agenda. Sorry, but you don't get to throw around those sorts of blatant and blatantly false personal attacks and insults and then just blithely go on as if they never happened and as if you have done nothing wrong, while congratulating yourself on MY "apologies." You owe me a few, and you owe me an answer to this question.

You said, "It takes a man to admit to an error and apologize for his mistakes." I agree. Can you?

faroukfarouk
Student

Post #42

Post by faroukfarouk »

cnorman18 wrote:
Firstly
Secondly.

Back to the subject.
Judaism is derived from the word Judah(name of a place) and –ism is a suffix added to the end of a word to indicate that the word represents a specific practice, system, or philosophy.Hence we get the word Juda-ism(Judaism) name of a religion. Often these practices, systems, or philosophies are political ideologies or artistic movements. Using –ism at the end of a word also suggests the word is related to a belief accepted as an authority by a group or school of thought.

Charles

I have answered all of your questions up to now, politely, civilly, and factually. Before I jump through any more of your hoops, I want you to answer some of MY questions. Start with this one, that I have asked three or four times now:

Yes or no?

And while we're at it, I'd like to see an apology from YOU, for your false accusations of "uncivil, disrespectful and provoking behavior," of "childish mudslinging," of making threats, of "twisting and mincing words," of outright racism, and of deception and having a hidden agenda. Sorry, but you don't get to throw around those sorts of blatant and blatantly false personal attacks and insults and then just blithely go on as if they never happened and as if you have done nothing wrong, while congratulating yourself on MY "apologies." You owe me a few, and you owe me an answer to this question.

You said, "It takes a man to admit to an error and apologize for his mistakes." I agree. Can you?
First
Your answer to your question is yes.
Second
So far as apologies is concerned i have always apologized on every posting.You ought to read whats written.
Once again i apologize to all members of this forum.
If i have caused any member grief or pain then its my religious upbringing right to say i am sorry.Note the subject matter is sensitive and as such it will cause pain but non the less our objective is the truth and the truth must prevail.

Every question i ask relates to the main subject of Are Jews a Race?
Back to the subject.

Charles
4.If your answer is no then who invented “Judaism� as a religion?[/quote]

Note if the question is difficult to answer then any member of this forum is welcome to answer.

cnorman18

Post #43

Post by cnorman18 »

faroukfarouk wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:
Firstly
Secondly.

Back to the subject.

Charles

Yes or no?

First
We’ll get back to that eventually.
Second
So far as apologies is concerned i have always apologized on every posting.You ought to read whats written.
That won’t do. You have accused me of “uncivil, disrespectful and provoking behavior," of "childish mudslinging," of making threats, of "twisting and mincing words," of outright racism, and of deception and having a hidden agenda. You have NOT made reference to nor apologized for ANY of that, nor have you retracted those accusations.
If i have caused any member grief or pain then its my religious upbringing right to say i am sorry.Note the subject matter is sensitive and as such it will cause pain but non the less our objective is the truth and the truth must prevail.
A general apology to everyone for “causing pain� because you “tell the truth� doesn’t come CLOSE to covering the offensive accusations and insults which were directed at me personally. Are you saying that all those charges are the TRUTH? That’s hardly an apology.

As far as I am concerned, we will go no farther till you explicitly retract your unfounded and false accusations and insults and apologize for them.

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

Post #44

Post by Jayhawker Soule »

faroukfarouk wrote: The word Judaism is the name of a religion.
Who made up that rule?

Back in 1931 Alfred Korzybski, the father of general semantics, wrote: "the map is not the territory." Neither the denotation nor connotation of terms are static. This is particularly true when dealing with elements of human culture. So, for example, Wikipedia defines Judaism as: "the distinctive characteristics of the Judean ethnos" or "the religion, philosophy and way of life of the Jewish people."

Agenda-driven word games are tiresome and sophomoric.

faroukfarouk
Student

Post #45

Post by faroukfarouk »

cnorman18 wrote:
faroukfarouk wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:
Firstly
Secondly.

Back to the subject.

Charles

Yes or no?

First
Second
That won’t do. You have accused me of “uncivil, disrespectful and provoking behavior," of "childish mudslinging," of making threats, of "twisting and mincing words," of outright racism, and of deception and having a hidden agenda. You have NOT made reference to nor apologized for ANY of that, nor have you retracted those accusations.
A general apology to everyone for “causing pain� because you “tell the truth� doesn’t come CLOSE to covering the offensive accusations and insults which were directed at me personally. Are you saying that all those charges are the TRUTH? That’s hardly an apology.

As far as I am concerned, we will go no farther till you explicitly retract your unfounded and false accusations and insults and apologize for them.
If i said anything that caused you pain and grief then you already had an apology.
Don't ask for anything more because i am not going to bow to your unrealistic demands.

faroukfarouk
Student

Post #46

Post by faroukfarouk »

Jayhawker Soule wrote:
Who made up that rule?

Back in 1931 Alfred Korzybski, the father of general semantics, wrote: "the map is not the territory." Neither the denotation nor connotation of terms are static. This is particularly true when dealing with elements of human culture. So, for example, Wikipedia defines Judaism as: "the distinctive characteristics of the Judean ethnos" or "the religion, philosophy and way of life of the Jewish people."

Wikipedia is opinion based hence you ought to find out who wrote wikipedia?
So far as my questions are concerned they are simple.There is no need to look for answers on the internet.If you a born a Jew or if you a covert to Juda-ism then you owe to to your soul to answer simple questions on your belief.
If one uses words as such as "Agenda-driven word games are tiresome and sophomoric" then its quite obvious the difficulty one has regarding exposure of the truth.
Lets look at the simple question again.

The questions are simple so use your God given intelligence and answer the question.If the question cannot be answered then its obvious there is a hidden agenda in exposing the truth.Imagine your 16 year old son asking you these simple questions.How will you answer him?Are you going to tell him he got a agenda or are you going to tell him he will lose his faith by asking such questions.
How will you answer him.With the truth or lies.
To all members of this thread i await your truthful answer.

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

Post #47

Post by Jayhawker Soule »

faroukfarouk wrote:
Jayhawker Soule wrote:
Who made up that rule?

Lets look at the simple question again.
Judaism is derived from the word Judah(name of a place) and –ism is a suffix added to the end of a word to ...
... did I mention tiresome?

cnorman18

Post #48

Post by cnorman18 »

faroukfarouk wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:
faroukfarouk wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:
Firstly
Secondly.

Back to the subject.

Charles

Yes or no?

First
Second

If i said anything that caused you pain and grief then you already had an apology.
Don't ask for anything more because i am not going to bow to your unrealistic demands.
You posted a GENERAL apology for your "causing anyone pain" by your "telling the truth."

Previously, you accused me of “uncivil, disrespectful and provoking behavior," of "childish mudslinging," of making threats, of "twisting and mincing words," of outright racism, and of deception and having a hidden agenda.

I don't think asking you to clarify your remarks by explaining whether you RETRACT those accusations or STAND BY them is an "unrealistic demand."

Do you stand by your insults, or not? Were they "the truth," or not?

cnorman18

Post #49

Post by cnorman18 »

Well, since apparently we are going to see neither a clarification nor a retraction of his insults and attacks from Faroukfarouk -- odd, since he himself praised the capacity to do such things, saying "it takes a man" -- we might as well resume:
Every question i ask relates to the main subject of Are Jews a Race?
And you have yourself proven that Jews are NOT a race, through the material that you have quoted yourself. Let me repeat the answers to some questions you asked earlier, since you have not yet responded to them:
What is the definition of a Race?·
1.A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
Obviously not true of Jews. There are white European Jews, black African Jews, ethnically Japanese, Chinese and East Indian Jews, and Jews of every actual "race" on this planet.
2.A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution..
Likewise not true of Jews. There are Jews who are citizens of virtually all the countries in the world.

3. A genealogical line; a lineage.
Since Jews have accepted converts as full members of the community since the time of Abraham himself, and since my own ancestry is Celtic, that is obviously not true of Jews either.
4.Humans considered as a group.

Jews are definitely members of the HUMAN race. Otherwise, the term "race" does not apply.
Are Jews a Race?
The true facts are in front of you.
So they are.
You also asked me a whole flurry of questions about whether non-Jewish men or women can become Jews, whether homosexuals can become Jews, whether Palestinians can become Jews, and so forth; I posted answers to all of them (short version -- ANYONE can become a Jew), and you have not responded to those either.

And now you are claiming that a person’s “race� can be changed -- though without evidence, explanation or reasoning of any kind. Let's consider that for a moment (it will take no longer than a moment):

If something is a characteristic of a “race,� as with the attributes you listed above in your definition, it must be true of all races; and so I’d like to know how a black African can change his race to Caucasian, how an Asian of the Mongol race can change and become an Australian Aborigine, how a Latino could change his race to Polynesian, and so on. Tell us how a Native American can convert and become a Negro. And, of course, you might explain how members of ALL of these races can be Jews -- because some of them are, in every case.

I’m sure your explanation will be fascinating.
Back to the subject.
And of a culture, and of an heritage, and of a way of life. As discussed previously, and as has not, to date, been refuted or rebutted in any way.
Judaism is derived from the word Judah(name of a place) and –ism is a suffix added to the end of a word to indicate that the word represents a specific practice, system, or philosophy.
Not necessarily. You are playing the “let’s limit the definition� game again. In the case of Judaism, the word SOMETIMES means that; it doesn’t ALWAYS, and your argument is obviously disingenuous and agenda-driven for the very reason that you keep denying and ignoring that plain, inarguable FACT.
Hence we get the word Juda-ism(Judaism) name of a religion. Often these practices, systems, or philosophies are political ideologies or artistic movements.
And often they are not.
Using –issm at the end of a word also suggests the word is related to a belief accepted as an authority by a group or school of thought.
Again, not necessarily. I might remind you here that Judaism contains no required beliefs or dogmas. Some beliefs are forbidden, but that is another matter. As you have noted yourself, one may be a practicing, religious Jew and not believe in God. I have written on that subject many times.

Further: There is no central authority in Judaism, and hasn’t been for more than a thousand years. No "Elders of Zion" exist.
Charles
As noted; No, I do not.
No. What difference does THAT make? The word “Trinity� does not appear in the New Testament, either, any more than the words "Catholic," "Methodist," "Presbyterian," "Pope," "Protestant," and many, many more. Do the words "Sunni" and "Shi'a" appear in the Quran?

No one “invented� Judaism. It grew and developed over the course of many centuries, as it continues to grow and develop to this day. In Jewish belief, it’s supposed to.

I have written extensively here on the nature of the Jewish religion and how it differs from other religions, not least in the way that it contains no prescribed doctrines or beliefs, as both Christianity and Islam do. I suggest you buy or borrow a good book on basic Judaism, one written by Jews, as opposed to those with an agenda that matches your own, and learn a bit more about the religion which you presume to analyze and criticize here. It seems clear that you know very little about it, from both your questions and statements on the subject.

I’m also wondering about your views on the Talmud. I look forward to reading those with great anticipation...

faroukfarouk
Student

Post #50

Post by faroukfarouk »

Greetings to all
Charles
So far as an apology is concerned, if any word that I used that caused you grief and pain or if I used a word that you regard as insulting you then you have my humble apology.

Note your question

Yes or no?

You never asked for an explanation hence I answered your question with a yes answer with no explanation.
But now that you ask for an explanation I will give you one.Now read carefully and ff what I am saying.The ff are just a few examples of how “Race� changes.

1.Megan Fox is part Irish, French, and Native American.
What was her Race?
What is her Race now?
2. Tyson Beckford is part Afro-Jamaican, Afro-Panamanian, and Chinese.
What was his Race?
What is his Race now?
3. Mica Shinoda is half Japanese, a quarter Native American, and a quarter White.
What was his Race?
What is his Race now?
4. Salma Hayek is half Hispanic and half Lebanese.
What was her Race?
What is her Race now?

Now there is plenty more that I can add to the list.The bottom line is how you define the word “Race�.Race is not about your colour of your skin nor is it about how thick your skin is.Race has a very broad meaning and race changes over time.You don’t have to be a citizen of a particular country to become a member of a particular race.
Note I have never said Jews are a Race nor have I said Jews are not a Race.What I did say is in order to answer the question one has to answer questions like who a Jew is?Where did the word Jew come from?The meaning of the word Hebrew?Judaism,Talmud,Torah etc……If these answers are not answered in a honest and truthful manner then the question Are Jews a Race will hang in doubt.

Back to the subject.
Am I reading you correctly.
The word Judaism(Yahadut) does not appear in any of the Hebrew Scriptures or in the Talmud.Not a single mention of the oldest monotheistic religion in the World.There has to be an answer as to why no mention has been made.
No one invented “Judaism�.No one……Is that the truth?I have to read it 3 times because I cannot believe what I am reading.

More Question
1.Judaism as a religion does not appear in any of the Hebrew Scriptures or in the Talmud.
Why no mention of this religion?
2.What is the etymology of the word “Judaism�.
3.You mention no one invented “Judaism�.Does the word “no one� includes God and his Prophets as well?
Sorry I have to ask you this question because I need to understand what you mean by “no one�.
4.Was Abraham a Jew?
If your answer is yes.Please provide with concrete proof.
5.Wa Moses A Jew?
If your answer is yes.Please provide with concrete proof.

Due to your anticipation and eagerness on the subject of the Talmud and its relation to the question of Are Jews a Race I have decided to mention it on the same thread.

6.What is the Talmud?
7.Who wrote the Talmud?
8.Are the teachings of the Talmud from any of the Prophets?If so please explain fully.
Once again I humbly apologize to any member of this forum if my questioning causes any pain or grief.My intent is the truth and the truth does hurt so please forgive.

To all the Prophets that i mentioned may peace and blessings be upon them and their families.
Have a wonderful and joyous day.