To discuss Jewish topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Jews as a Race?

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I know I'm gonna sound racist here, that is most certainly NOT my intent, but dangitall I can't put this together in a better fashion...

In another thread I see that Jewish folks don't consider themselves a race. As Judaism is a theology / philosophy, it may include folks as diverse as humanity itself, on that there can be no argument.

What I wonder though, is the deal where a person born to a Jewish mother is considered Jewish. Doesn't this imply a race?

I realize Wikipedia is not the be all and end all here, but I searched it for "Jewish Race" specifically, and was redirected to...
Wikipedia: Jews wrote: The Jews (Hebrew: יְהוּדִי�‎ "Yehudim" IPA: jɛhu�di�m), also known as the Jewish people, are a nation and ethnoreligious group originating in the Israelites or Hebrews of the Ancient Near East. The Jewish ethnicity, nationality, and religion are strongly interrelated, as Judaism is the traditional faith of the Jewish nation.[6][7][8] Converts to Judaism, whose status as Jews within the Jewish ethnos is equal to those born into it, have been absorbed into the Jewish people throughout the millennia.
Doesn't "ethnoreligious" indicate such as "Some Jews are of a race", while leaving open the fact that some Jewish members are of other races?

I swear I don't mean to be insulting, but I think of some of the physical stereotypes ('characters' in biology speak), and let's be real, there is some small inkling that we could identify a person as "jewish" (small 'j' to remove religion/philosophy) by some of these physical stereotypes (agreeing that it's not 100% accurate or even close to it). Is this where we differentiate between Jew, and Hebrew? I really don't know, so please don't hate on me.

Is there a particular issue with considering at least some Jews as being of a Jewish race - especially where there is no nefarious intent?

Again, I'm sorry if I come across as racist, and hopefully this discussion can be enlightening to myself and others.

cnorman18

Re: Jews as a Race?

Post #2

Post by cnorman18 »

JoeyKnothead wrote:I know I'm gonna sound racist here, that is most certainly NOT my intent, but dangitall I can't put this together in a better fashion...

In another thread I see that Jewish folks don't consider themselves a race. As Judaism is a theology / philosophy, it may include folks as diverse as humanity itself, on that there can be no argument.

What I wonder though, is the deal where a person born to a Jewish mother is considered Jewish. Doesn't this imply a race?

I realize Wikipedia is not the be all and end all here, but I searched it for "Jewish Race" specifically, and was redirected to...
Wikipedia: Jews wrote: The Jews (Hebrew: יְהוּדִי�‎ "Yehudim" IPA: jɛhu�di�m), also known as the Jewish people, are a nation and ethnoreligious group originating in the Israelites or Hebrews of the Ancient Near East. The Jewish ethnicity, nationality, and religion are strongly interrelated, as Judaism is the traditional faith of the Jewish nation.[6][7][8] Converts to Judaism, whose status as Jews within the Jewish ethnos is equal to those born into it, have been absorbed into the Jewish people throughout the millennia.
Doesn't "ethnoreligious" indicate such as "Some Jews are of a race", while leaving open the fact that some Jewish members are of other races?

I swear I don't mean to be insulting, but I think of some of the physical stereotypes ('characters' in biology speak), and let's be real, there is some small inkling that we could identify a person as "jewish" (small 'j' to remove religion/philosophy) by some of these physical stereotypes (agreeing that it's not 100% accurate or even close to it). Is this where we differentiate between Jew, and Hebrew? I really don't know, so please don't hate on me.

Is there a particular issue with considering at least some Jews as being of a Jewish race - especially where there is no nefarious intent?

Again, I'm sorry if I come across as racist, and hopefully this discussion can be enlightening to myself and others.
Not to worry, Joey, you've established yourself as a friend of my people for some years now. Let me see if I can help.

Sure, there is an ethnic component to Judaism, for many Jews; but the fact that the Jewish people have accepted genealogically unrelated converts from the beginning pretty much eliminates the idea of a "Jewish race" from consideration. The Jews began as one person's family, but brought in others from the very beginning. Abraham circumcised the people who lived with and worked for him, and the "mixed multitude" that left Egypt with the Hebrews during the Exodus have been regarded as converts since that time. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of references to "the strangers who live among you" in the OT as well. King David himself was descended from a Moabite woman, and Ephraim and Manasseh, the sons of Joseph and the founders of the two half-tribes that bear their names, were born to an Egyptian woman. Further, some of the children of Abraham and Isaac were not considered Hebrews, even in the Bible itself. Ishmael wasn't, and he was Abraham's firstborn; and traditionally the Edomites were descended from Esau, Isaac's twin, and they were Israel's enemies.

Think of it this way. My last name is Norman, which is of Scottish extraction; but my name is not what makes me Caucasian, nor vice versa. The fact that I was born to a Scottish-descended mother and father (I'm Scots on both sides) doesn't make me white, either, and the fact that I'm white doesn't make me either a Scot or a Norman. I have cousins who are of Amerind extraction, specifically Cherokee; I probably have cousins I don't know about who are descended from the same people I am descended from, but are the descendants of their slaves and are now considered African-American (I don't know that, but any white family that has lived in the South since the Revolution, as the Normans have, probably does). Descent doesn't determine race; even if a Jew IS descended directly from Aaron (last name Cohen, Katz or related), that doesn't make that person a member of a Jewish "race." There are African blacks who are descended from Aaron, or are at least related to the other Cohens of Ashkenazic (European) Jewish descent. That has been proven by their bearing a certain genetic marker.

Many Jews ARE of Middle Eastern descent, and the stereotypical look of those Jews is well known; but I taught kids in the Jewish school where I used to work who were, to all appearances, blond, blue-eyed Swedes. One Jewish family was from India, members of a very ancient Jewish community there, and who had THAT "look;" and two children who were ethnically black, the children of a convert, and who were as Jewish, by Jewish law, as any Cohen.

The opposite is true, too; there are lots of people who "look Jewish," and aren't, and haven't been for generations. There was a Levy family in my home town; they had the classic hooked nose and allathat, too -- but they were Baptists, and so were their grandparents. You can't get OUT of being a member of a "race" any more than you can JOIN a "race."

Actually, the fact that we accept converts at all eliminates the idea of a Jewish "race." Can you think of another "race" that you can JOIN? Can you convert and be black tomorrow? How about a black converting and becoming Caucasian? Asian? How about Native American? Australoid? Good luck with that.

And therein lies the clue, and the concern. The idea of a Jewish "race" was promoted by antisemites, for the specific reason that a person's race cannot be changed. The intent of the Nazis was to exterminate Jews, and that could only be done if Judaism was a matter of bloodline. Previous persecutions, like those of the Inquisition and the Czarists in Russia, only went after religious Jews. Converts to Judaism were persecuted as fiercely as born Jews -- but converts FROM Judaism to Christianity were spared.

But the Nazis gassed people who had one Jewish great-grandparent and whose families had been Christians for generations; many former Catholics who had converted to Judaism were ignored. That only works if Judaism is regarded as something genetic, which was absolutely the Nazis' belief and policy.

The idea that Judaism is racially determined is factually, biologically and anthropologically false; but that's not why it's offensive to us. It's offensive because it's most often found in the context of Judaism being analogous to a genetic disease. It's no accident that the first reference made by the poster who got in trouble for this was to Muslims and Nazis. That's where you find this idea most often. It's actually pretty hard to find support for the idea of a "Jewish race" anywhere OTHER than from antisemitic and hate sites.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Goat »

JoeyKnothead wrote:I know I'm gonna sound racist here, that is most certainly NOT my intent, but dangitall I can't put this together in a better fashion...

The web site that EOE quote mined from discussed that exactly. If you read
http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm

you will see

The Jewish People are a Family

It is clear from the discussion above that there is a certain amount of truth in the claims that it is a religion, a race, or an ethnic group, none of these descriptions is entirely adequate to describe what connects Jews to other Jews. And yet, almost all Jews feel a sense of connectedness to each other that many find hard to explain, define, or even understand. Traditionally, this interconnectedness was understood as "nationhood" or "peoplehood," but those terms have become so distorted over time that they are no longer accurate.

Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz has suggested a better analogy for the Jewish people: We are a family. See the third essay in his recent book, We Jews: Who Are We and What Should We Do. But though this is a new book, it is certainly not a new concept: throughout the Bible and Jewish literature, the Jewish people are referred to as "the Children of Israel," a reference to the fact that we are all the physical or spiritual descendants of the Patriarch Jacob, who was later called Israel. In other words, we are part of his extended family.

Like a family, we don't always agree with each other. We often argue and criticize each other. We hold each other to the very highest standards, knowing that the shortcomings of any member of the family will be held against all of us. But when someone outside of the family unfairly criticizes a family member or the family as a whole, we are quick to join together in opposition to that unfair criticism.

When members of our "family" suffer or are persecuted, we all feel their pain. For example, in the 1980s, when Africa was suffering from droughts and famines, many Jews around the world learned for the first time about the Beta Israel, the Jews of Ethiopia. Their religion, race and culture are quite different from ours, and we had not even known that they existed before the famine. And yet, our hearts went out to them as our fellow Jews during this period of famine, like distant cousins we had never met, and Jews from around the world helped them to emigrate to Israel.

When a member of our "family" does something illegal, immoral or shameful, we all feel the shame, and we all feel that it reflects on us. As Jews, many of us were embarrassed by the scandals of Monica Lewinsky, Jack Abramoff and Bernie Madoff, because they are Jews and their actions reflect on us all, even though we disapprove. The Madoff scandal was all the more embarassing, because so many of his victims were Jews and Jewish charities: a Jew robbing from our own "family"! We were shocked when Israeli Prime Minister Yitzchak Rabin was killed by a Jew, unable to believe that one Jew would ever kill another member of the "family."

And when a member of our "family" accomplishes something significant, we all feel proud. A perfect example of Jews (even completely secular ones) delighting in the accomplishments of our fellow Jews is the perennial popularity of Adam Sandler's Chanukkah songs, listing famous people who are Jewish. We all take pride in scientists like Albert Einstein or political leaders like Joe Lieberman (we don't all agree with his politics or his religious views, but we were all proud to see him on a national ticket). And is there a Jew who doesn't know (or at least feel pride upon learning) that Sandy Koufax declined to pitch in a World Series game that fell on Yom Kippur?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Jrosemary
Sage

Post #4

Post by Jrosemary »

No worries, Joey--there's nothing wrong with an honest question, and nothing offensive about the way you phrased it. O:)

I think Goat and CNorman answered the question well; we Jews are a people/family; not a race. There are white Jews, black Jews, Asian Jews--you name it. And some of us are born into this people, and some of us get adopted into it.

What gets tricky is that if you're born to a Jewish mother--whether she was a born Jew or a convert--it's hard to opt out of being Jewish. You're considered Jewish per Jewish law, and the world at large will tend to see you as a Jew too--whether you're on board or not.

Bobby Fischer, the famous chess player, is a good example of this. He was born to a Jewish mother, but he raged against Judaism (pretty much to the point of antisemitism) and loudly declared that he wasn't a Jew. Yet Wikipedia and just about everyone else still lists him as a great Jewish chess master. :roll:

This question has come up on the Jewish side of my family--if you don't want to be Jewish, why should you be stuck with that identity? The religious answer, I suppose, is that--mythically speaking--you stood at Sinai and accepted the mitzvot. (Per the Jewish tradition, every Jew that ever was or ever will be stood at Sinai. There's some midrashic tales that suggest the Jewish people as a whole weren't keen on accepting the mitzvot--the commandments, that is--but that's another story.) The secular answer is that Judaism is such a strong cultural identity that it's near impossible to shake off.

Those answers aside, it's still a tough and fair question. :-k

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I 'preciate y'all schooling me here. I've been gnawing on these posts a good bit, and I think I see why it is at least a bit rude, if not outright "redneck rude" to consider Jews as a race.

I think in this day and age it would be much preferred to just go on and consider all folks as just the human race.

nogods
Student

Post #6

Post by nogods »

My nephew is married a Jew and indeed this topic has come up. I have found it best to allow the Jews to believe they are somehow their own race. In reality they are nothing more than Canaanites. They are of the same bloodline as Arabs. However, since the Jews have been dispersed throughout Europe and intermarried with local populations, their "racial purity" (I apologize for that term, I hate it too.) is far less than say the Palestinians. I remember when Hispanics, Jews, Arabs, and regular European types were all considered the same race. Now we all have our own separate box.

RightKnowledge999
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by RightKnowledge999 »

In Order To Answer Your Question Their A Few Question Must Be Answer First In Order To Get To The Facts Ok . Thats If You Really What The Facts ? Ok

( 1 ) What Is The Meaning Of The Word Jew And Where It Come From ?
( 2 ) Question ; What Is The Meaning Of The Word Hebrew And Where Did It Come From ?
( 3) .Question ; Is The Word Hebrew '' The Name Of A Tribe Or A People ?
( 4 ) Question ; What Is The Meaning Of The Word '' Israel '' And Where Did It Come From ?
( 5 ),Question ; How Can '' Hebrew '' And '' Israelites '' Be One In The Same , When The Word Hebrew Is Just A Title ?
( 6 ) .Question ; Is The Name '' Israel '' The Name Of A Tribe Or A People ?
( 7 ) . Question ; Where The Descendats Before Abraham Hebrew Israelites ?

I Mean These People ;
Adam ~ Genesis 2 ; 19 .
Eve ~ Genesis 3 ; 20 ,
Cain ~ Son Of Adam And Eve ~ Genesis 4 ; 1
Abel ~ Son Of Adam And Eve ~ Genesis 4 ; 2
Enoch ~ Son Of Jared ~ Genesis 4 ; 17
Lamech ~ Son Of Methuselah Genesis 4 ; 18
Seth ~ Son Of Adam And Eve ~ Genesis 4 ; 25
Enos ~ Son Of Seth ~ Genesis 4 ; 26
Cainan ~ Son Of Enos ~ Genesis 5 ; 9
Mahalaleel ~ Son Of Cainan ~ Genesis 5 ; 12
Jared ~ Son Of Mahaleel ~ Genesis 5 ; 15
Methuselah ~ Son Of Enoch ~ Genesis 5 ; 21
Noah ~ Son Of Lamech ~ Genesis 5 ; 29
Ham ~ Son Of Noah ~ Genesis 5 ; 32
Shem ~ Son Of Noah ~ Genesis 5 ; 32
Japheth ~ Son Of Noah ~ Genesis 5 ; 32
Elam ~ Son Of Shem ~ Genesis 10 ; 22
Asshur ~ Son Of Shem ~ Genesis 10 ; 22
Arphaxad ~ Son Of Shem ~ Genesis 10 ; 22
Lud ~ Son Of Shem ~ Genesis 10 ; 22
Aram ~ Son Of Shem ~ Genesis 10 ; 22
Salah ~ Son Of Arphaxad ~ Genesis 10 ; 13
Eber ~ Son Of Salah ~ Genesis 10 ; 21
Peleg ~ Son Of Eber ~ Genesis 11 ; 16
Reu ~ Son Of Peleg ~ Genesis 11 ; 18
Serug ~ Son Of Reu ~ Genesis 11 ; 20
Nahow ~ Son Of Serug ~ Genesis 11 ; 22
Terah ~ Son Of Nahor ~ Genesis 11 ; 24

What was The Religion Of These People ? All Of These People Were Before Abraham

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by McCulloch »

RightKnowledge999 wrote: In Order To Answer Your Question Their A Few Question Must Be Answer First In Order To Get To The Facts Ok . Thats If You Really What The Facts ? Ok

For many words, the current meaning and where it came from are two different things. Take French for example. Originally this meant the Germanic tribe known as the Franks. Now, French refers to a people who speak a Romance language.
RightKnowledge999 wrote: I Mean These People ;
Adam ~ Genesis 2 ; 19 .
Eve ~ Genesis 3 ; 20 ,

These people are all part of the Jewish mythology, inherited by the other Abrahamic religions, Christianity, Islam and Bahá'í .
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

RightKnowledge999
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by RightKnowledge999 »

McCulloch wrote:
RightKnowledge999 wrote: In Order To Answer Your Question Their A Few Question Must Be Answer First In Order To Get To The Facts Ok . Thats If You Really What The Facts ? Ok

For many words, the current meaning and where it came from are two different things. Take French for example. Originally this meant the Germanic tribe known as the Franks. Now, French refers to a people who speak a Romance language.
RightKnowledge999 wrote: I Mean These People ;
Adam ~ Genesis 2 ; 19 .
Eve ~ Genesis 3 ; 20 ,

These people are all part of the Jewish mythology, inherited by the other Abrahamic religions, Christianity, Islam and Bahá'í .

IF I Can Make A Suggestion Let Deal With The The Language In Which The Scription Were Written In Shall We It Only Fair Right . This Way There Won't Be Any Play On Words Ok . So The First Question Is . ( 1 ) What Is The Meaning Of The Word Jew And Where It Come From ?

I'll A Wait For Your Answer , Or Maybe Some One/ Else Has The Answer Ok . It Is Better For Other To Give Their Point Of View .Right

cnorman18

Post #10

Post by cnorman18 »

RightKnowledge999 wrote:
In Order To Answer Your Question Their A Few Question Must Be Answer First In Order To Get To The Facts Ok . Thats If You Really What The Facts ? Ok

IF I Can Make A Suggestion Let Deal With The The Language In Which The Scription Were Written In Shall We It Only Fair Right . This Way There Won't Be Any Play On Words Ok . So The First Question Is . ( 1 ) What Is The Meaning Of The Word Jew And Where It Come From ?

I'll A Wait For Your Answer , Or Maybe Some One/ Else Has The Answer Ok . It Is Better For Other To Give Their Point Of View .Right
Jew (joo)
n.
1. An adherent of Judaism as a religion or culture.
2. A member of the widely dispersed people originally descended from the ancient Hebrews and sharing an ethnic heritage based on Judaism.
3. A native or inhabitant of the ancient kingdom of Judah.

[Middle English Jeu, from Old French giu, from Latin Idaeus, from Greek Ioudaios, from Aramaic yhudy, from Hebrew yhûdî, inhabitant of Judah, from yhûdâ, Judah; see Judah2.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

( 2 ) Question ; What Is The Meaning Of The Word Hebrew And Where Did It Come From ?
Hebrew [ˈhe�broo�]
n
1. (Linguistics / Languages) the ancient language of the Hebrews, revived as the official language of Israel. It belongs to the Canaanitic branch of the Semitic subfamily of the Afro-Asiatic family of languages
2. (Historical Terms) a member of an ancient Semitic people claiming descent from Abraham; an Israelite
3. Archaic or offensive a Jew
adj
1. (Social Science / Peoples) (Linguistics / Languages) of or relating to the Hebrews or their language
2. Archaic or offensive Jewish
[from Old French Ebreu, from Latin Hebraeus, from Greek Hebraios, from Aramaic `ibhray, from Hebrew `ibhrī one from beyond (the river)]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

( 3) .Question ; Is The Word Hebrew '' The Name Of A Tribe Or A People ?
As the name of a people or a tribe, the word is either used in a historical sense, referring to the people so called in the Bible, or is archaic. When used of modern Jews, it is either used in a humorous sense or is offensive. The proper term is “Jews.�

( 4 ) Question ; What Is The Meaning Of The Word '' Israel '' And Where Did It Come From ?
Is·ra·el 1 (izra-el)
n.
1. Bible
a. Jacob.
b. The descendants of Jacob.
2. Judaism The Hebrew people, past, present, and future, regarded as the chosen people of God by virtue of the covenant of Jacob.

[Middle English, from Old English, from Latin, from Greek Isral, from Hebrew yir'l, God has striven, God has saved : yir, he has striven, saved; see ry in Semitic roots + 'l, God; see l in Semitic roots.]

Is·ra·el 2 (izra-el)
1. An ancient kingdom of Palestine founded by Saul c. 1025 b.c. After 933 it split into the Northern Kingdom, or kingdom of Israel, and the kingdom of Judah to the south. Israel was overthrown by the Assyrians in 721.
2. A country of southwest Asia on the eastern Mediterranean Sea.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

( 5 ),Question ; How Can '' Hebrew '' And '' Israelites '' Be One In The Same , When The Word Hebrew Is Just A Title ?
Non sequitur. Assumes facts not in evidence, i.e., that “Hebrew� is “Just A Title [sic].�

Hebrews and Israelites are synonymous terms in the Bible for the same group. Both terms are archaic today.

( 6 ) .Question ; Is The Name '' Israel '' The Name Of A Tribe Or A People ?
See above.

( 7 ) . Question ; Where The Descendats Before Abraham Hebrew Israelites ?
No. Those terms are not so used in the Bible, and “descendants before Abraham� makes no sense in the English language. “Hebrew Israelite� would also be a redundancy.