How does Humanistic Judaism work?

To discuss Jewish topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Murad
Guru

How does Humanistic Judaism work?

Post #1

Post by Murad »

Just a question; what do Humanistic Jews believe in?; Do they believe in Moses? If so; why are they non-theists?
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

cnorman18

Re: How does Humanistic Judaism work?

Post #2

Post by cnorman18 »

Murad wrote:Just a question; what do Humanistic Jews believe in?; Do they believe in Moses? If so; why are they non-theists?
Here you go. From Wikipedia:

Humanistic Judaism is a movement that emphasizes Jewish culture and Jewish history — rather than belief in God — as the sources of Jewish identity. Its rituals and ceremonies do not include prayer or any invocation of a deity. Its philosophical outlook is derived from religious humanism or secular humanism, and its beliefs may be summarized as follows:

A Jew is someone who identifies with the history, culture, and future of the Jewish people;
Judaism is the historic culture of the Jewish people, and religion is only one part of that culture;
People possess the power and responsibility to shape their own lives independent of supernatural authority;
Ethics and morality should serve human needs, and choices should be based upon consideration of the consequences of actions rather than pre-ordained rules or commandments;
Jewish history, like all history, is a purely human and natural phenomenon. Biblical and other traditional texts are the products of human activity and are best understood through archaeology and other scientific analysis.
There is more here. This isn't my own approach, but I respect it.

Murad
Guru

Post #3

Post by Murad »

Thanks for the info.

Do you believe Humanistic Jews are 'transgressors' against God?
How can they consider themselves Jews if they reject the first 3 commandments?
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

cnorman18

Post #4

Post by cnorman18 »

Murad wrote:Thanks for the info.

That's above my pay grade, if you see what I mean. Jews generally believe that God is the only Judge. We leave each other alone about things like that.

Further; even if some DO think so, we have no teaching about the consequences of that "transgression." "Salvation" in the Christian sense isn't one of our concerns. We have no formal doctrine about whether or not there even IS an "afterlife," for instance. Like I said; God is the only Judge, and allathat is His business, not ours.

Judaism is not only a religion; it's also a culture, a community, a heritage, and much more. One may consider oneself a Jew even if one is a total atheist. Further, one may believe as a Jew completely and entirely and be totally observant, but that doesn't make one a Jew. Neither belief nor observance determines that, but only if one is born to a Jewish mother or has undergone a formal rite of conversion.

Murad
Guru

Post #5

Post by Murad »

cnorman18 wrote: That's above my pay grade, if you see what I mean.
Should've know better; sorry for such a subjective question.

cnorman18 wrote: Judaism is not only a religion; it's also a culture, a community, a heritage, and much more. One may consider oneself a Jew even if one is a total atheist. Further, one may believe as a Jew completely and entirely and be totally observant, but that doesn't make one a Jew. Neither belief nor observance determines that, but only if one is born to a Jewish mother or has undergone a formal rite of conversion.
Thanks for the clarification; i made the assumption that to be a Jew; you must believe in the prophethood of Moses; i appreciate your reply.

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

cnorman18

Post #6

Post by cnorman18 »

Murad wrote:
cnorman18 wrote: That's above my pay grade, if you see what I mean.
Should've know better; sorry for such a subjective question.

cnorman18 wrote: Judaism is not only a religion; it's also a culture, a community, a heritage, and much more. One may consider oneself a Jew even if one is a total atheist. Further, one may believe as a Jew completely and entirely and be totally observant, but that doesn't make one a Jew. Neither belief nor observance determines that, but only if one is born to a Jewish mother or has undergone a formal rite of conversion.
Thanks for the clarification; i made the assumption that to be a Jew; you must believe in the prophethood of Moses; i appreciate your reply.
The confusion is understandable, and it's very common. Judaism is unique in that it is not defined solely by belief, and insofar as it DOES contain a set of beliefs, none are obligatory or required.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Goat »

Technically, they are not violating any of the first 3 commandments.

They do not have any God before the God of Abraham, since they have no God at all.

They don't make Idols, or worship idols

and they don't take the 'name' of god in vain.. in other words, they don't make oaths on God's name and break them.

Soo...
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

cnorman18

Post #8

Post by cnorman18 »

Goat wrote:

Technically, they are not violating any of the first 3 commandments.

They do not have any God before the God of Abraham, since they have no God at all.

They don't make Idols, or worship idols

and they don't take the 'name' of god in vain.. in other words, they don't make oaths on God's name and break them.

Soo...
I actually thought of that angle, but decided to reply to the intent of the question -- which I took to be about the absence of belief, as opposed to the technical nonviolation of the Law. Perhaps I should have mentioned that too; in any case, thanks for making that clear as well. One wonders what the Tannaim would have thought of that idea.