JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

A Belated Happy Birthday to Israel

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Happy Birthday Israel!

Live long and prosper!
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Jrosemary
Sage

Post #2

Post by Jrosemary »

A few weeks ago, this passage from Ezekiel was the haftarah in synagogues (the reading from the Prophets.) We all know I see room for improvement in Israel, but whenever we read this haftarah, I can't help but think of the miracle of 1948, when an ancient nation (that few thought could be resurrected) was reborn:
Ezekiel 37 wrote:The hand of the Lord came upon me. He took me out by the spirit of the Lord and set me down in the valley. It was full of bones. He led me all around them; there were very many of them spread over the valley, and they were very dry.

He said to me, "O mortal, can these bones live again?" I replied, "O Lord G-d, only You know." And He said to me, "Prophesy over these bones and say to them: O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord!

Thus said the Lord G-d to these bones: I will cause breath to enter you and you shall live again. I will lay sinews upon you, and cover you with flesh, and form skin over you. And I will put breath into you, and you shall live again. And you shall know that I am the Lord!"

I prophesied as I had been commanded. And while I was prophesying, suddenly there was a sound of rattling, and the bones came together, bone to matching bone. I looked, and there were sinews on them, and flesh had grown, and skin had formed over them; but there was no breath in them.

Then He said to me, "Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, O mortal! Say to the breath: Thus said the Lord G-d: Come, O breath, from the four winds, and breathe into these slain, that they may live again." I prophesied as He commanded me. The breath entered them, and they came to life and stood up on their feet, a vast multitude.

And He said to me, "O mortal, these bones are the whole House of Israel. They say, 'Our bones are dried up, our hope is gone; we are doomed.'

Prophesy, therefore, and say to them: Thus said the Lord G-d: "I am going to open your graves and lift you out of the graves, O My people, and bring you to the land of Israel. You shall know, O My people, that I am the Lord, when I have opened your graves and lifted you out of your graves. I will put My breath into you and you shall live again, and I will set you upon your own soil. Then you shall know that I the Lord have spoken and have acted"--declares the Lord.

fewwillfindit
Guru

Post #3

Post by fewwillfindit »

I love you Israel! Happy birthday!
Genesis 12:1-3 ESV wrote:Now the Lord said to Abram, "Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you. And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed."

Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.