Are Jews worried that their Children turn to Christianity?

To discuss Jewish topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Savant

Are Jews worried that their Children turn to Christianity?

Post #1

Post by 1213 »

I have heard that some Jews are worried about their children becoming Christian, because by that way they could reject moral and do sin. Is this common concern among Jews?

And if it is really true that some reject Judaism and turn to Christianity so that they could do whatever they want, I hope that they would get this message:

For I tell you that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, there is no way you will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.
Mat. 5:20

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

Little children, let no one lead you astray. He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

postroad
Prodigy

Post #11

Post by postroad »

In the OT, God did hold people accountable for sins committed against one another.

But he also forgave David his many transgressions against others and in fact David and others are said to have committed grave acts of genocide and general mayhem and murder without any guilt other than becoming ritually impure. And this to had a remedy in the Law. Also Moses murdered the cruel overseer and hid the body in the sand. Perhaps its only Jews who can kill Gentiles and remain guilt free?

1 Samuel 2:25
If one person sins against another, God may mediate for the offender; but if anyone sins against the Lord, who will intercede for them?� His sons, however, did not listen to their father’s rebuke, for it was the Lord’s will to put them to death

cnorman18

Post #12

Post by cnorman18 »

[Replying to post 11 by postroad]

Okay, that last got a rise out of me. There are those who claim that the Talmud actually teaches such things.

It doesn't.

Sorry, I don't intend to debate (or even discuss) Jewish theology and ethics with you unless and until you make some sort of effort to learn something about them. You keep proving that you know little to nothing, and apparently have no intention of remedying that situation.

Not my problem; learn or don't, that's your choice. But I have nothing to say to you on these issues. I don't have time to do a seminar.

Be well. No offense meant. I'm just too busy for an endless round of debate or discussion with an opponent (or partner) who is so ill-informed he thinks one can determine Jewish teachings from an unaided personal reading of the Tanakh.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Re: Are Jews worried that their Children turn to Christianit

Post #13

Post by Ooberman »

1213 wrote: I have heard that some Jews are worried about their children becoming Christian, because by that way they could reject moral and do sin. Is this common concern among Jews?

And if it is really true that some reject Judaism and turn to Christianity so that they could do whatever they want, I hope that they would get this message:

For I tell you that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, there is no way you will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.
Mat. 5:20

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

Little children, let no one lead you astray. He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

It would be a hilarious irony if that's true.

I would imagine many Muslims would want to become Christian so they could get 'gay married', and do other "sinful" things.

It's just funny that the "Oh, you don't want to believe because you want to sin" is being used against Chrsitians!

Man, the world is a funny place.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

postroad
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 12 by cnorman18]

You are correct about the Talmud not teaching any such thing. In fact it teaches not anything at all.

From what I can tell its a collection of arguments from every point of the spectrum.

cnorman18

Post #15

Post by cnorman18 »

[Replying to post 14 by postroad]

Like I said; you keep demonstrating that you know little or nothing about Judaism.

I doubt very much that you have ever seen a Talmud or even know what it looks like, and I am as sure as I am of gravity and the Sun's rising tomorrow that you've never read it.

Maybe you should look over the guidelines for this subforum one more time.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Danmark »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 12 by cnorman18]

You are correct about the Talmud not teaching any such thing. In fact it teaches not anything at all.

From what I can tell its a collection of arguments from every point of the spectrum.
This and your prior post are arguments and attacks on Judaism. This is a discussion subform, not the place for debate.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 15 by cnorman18]

No I have never actually physically had a Talmud but I have read certain portions of the Talmud from this site.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/talmud.htm

Savant

Post #18

Post by 1213 »

postroad wrote: In the OT, God did hold people accountable for sins committed against one another.
Sin against another people is also sin against God, because person also breaks God’s Commandments then.

Savant

Re: Are Jews worried that their Children turn to Christianit

Post #19

Post by 1213 »

Ooberman wrote: It would be a hilarious irony if that's true.

I would imagine many Muslims would want to become Christian so they could get 'gay married', and do other "sinful" things.

It's just funny that the "Oh, you don't want to believe because you want to sin" is being used against Chrsitians!

Man, the world is a funny place.
Actually many atheists think also that Christianity gives free hands to do whatever, “because all sins are after all at the end forgiven and so there is no need to care about anything�. If some Jews would think same way, I wouldn’t be surprised, because even some Christians seem to think so.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by Danmark »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 15 by cnorman18]

No I have never actually physically had a Talmud but I have read certain portions of the Talmud from this site.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/talmud.htm
Thanks Postroad, for that reference. I went there and found this:
Despite the dry subject matter the Talmud makes interesting reading because it is infused with vigorous intellectual debate, humor and deep wisdom. As the saying goes, 'you don't have to be Jewish' to appreciate this text. If you put in the hard work required to read the Talmud, your mind will get a world-class workout. The process of studying the Talmud has been compared with the practice of Zen Buddhist Koan meditation, and for good reason.
I assume there may be some truth to that. I'd appreciate if someone advised me of particular passages that might serve this function.