An story from a Holocaust survivor.

To discuss Jewish topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Goat
Site Supporter

An story from a Holocaust survivor.

Post #1

Post by Goat »

“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Ancient of Years
Guru

Re: An story from a Holocaust survivor.

Post #2

Post by Ancient of Years »

[Replying to post 1 by Goat]

When I was a Senior in High School in the late 1950s a Jewish couple took over the local 'candy store'. (Do they still exist?) On Fridays after school I would stop there for an egg creme and a car magazine or a science fiction paperback. I noticed early on that both the man and the woman had blue numbers tatooed on their forearms. From reading, I knew quite a bit about the horrors of the Nazi regime and was amazed at how normal they were - just another couple running a retail store, raising two young kids.

Altogether too many did not survive the monstrosities inflicted on them. But among those who did live through it, like these two, were those who were not defeated. The ordeal was surely not forgotten. How does one forget something when there is a reminder on your own body that you will see every day? (Nor should the world forget it.) But they were alive and chose to act like it. I cannot say what thoughts or dreams they had in the dark of night. But, just as their bodies were not dead, neither were their spirits.

I learned a lesson from this. Being alive is not just a state but an action. It is something you do, not just something you are. Truly terrible things may happen but as long as one is alive, live and get beyond it.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: An story from a Holocaust survivor.

Post #3

Post by Goat »

Ancient of Years wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Goat]

When I was a Senior in High School in the late 1950s a Jewish couple took over the local 'candy store'. (Do they still exist?) On Fridays after school I would stop there for an egg creme and a car magazine or a science fiction paperback. I noticed early on that both the man and the woman had blue numbers tatooed on their forearms. From reading, I knew quite a bit about the horrors of the Nazi regime and was amazed at how normal they were - just another couple running a retail store, raising two young kids.

Altogether too many did not survive the monstrosities inflicted on them. But among those who did live through it, like these two, were those who were not defeated. The ordeal was surely not forgotten. How does one forget something when there is a reminder on your own body that you will see every day? (Nor should the world forget it.) But they were alive and chose to act like it. I cannot say what thoughts or dreams they had in the dark of night. But, just as their bodies were not dead, neither were their spirits.

I learned a lesson from this. Being alive is not just a state but an action. It is something you do, not just something you are. Truly terrible things may happen but as long as one is alive, live and get beyond it.
Knowing what I do , people can appear 'normal' doing the day, but the nights bring horrors.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella