Hell in Judaism

To discuss Jewish topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

ProLifeSkeptic
Student

Hell in Judaism

Post #1

Post by ProLifeSkeptic »

I'm curious to know what Judaism believes regarding the concept of Hell.

Christians try to cite the following passages to prove that Hell is an OT doctrine, can anyone please explain these?

Deuteronomy 32:22 "For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains."

Psalm 9:17 "The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God."

Psalm 116:3 "The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow."

Isaiah 5:14 "Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it."

I'm certain that Christians might be taking these out of context, but some clarification would be appreciated.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Hell in Judaism

Post #2

Post by ttruscott »

ProLifeSkeptic wrote: I'm curious to know what Judaism believes regarding the concept of Hell.

Christians try to cite the following passages to prove that Hell is an OT doctrine, can anyone please explain these?

Deuteronomy 32:22 "For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains."

Psalm 9:17 "The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God."

Psalm 116:3 "The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow."

Isaiah 5:14 "Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it."

I'm certain that Christians might be taking these out of context, but some clarification would be appreciated.
All these verses refer to Sheol, the place of the (waiting) dead. Hell is a word that used to be used in much the same way as Sheol and Hades but since Danté is now used for the lake of fire in the outer darkness which has caused many confusion.

This is a pretty ordinary interpretation and the only sect that disputes it regularly is the WTS for the JWs.

You also have used the KJV for Psalm 9:17 "The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God." All others dispute the word turned into as most assuredly returned [http://biblehub.com/hebrew/yashuvu_7725.htm] as in, to go back to where you were before... which is ignored by all except PCE theology.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Falling Light 101
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Falling Light 101 »

We would never see any real effects, repercussions or consequences in this lifetime  -  If Hell eXists.
Many people who return from a near-death eXperience sometimes have told of a horrible visit to hell where they see and hear horrible things including demons and fire and other people suffering and trapped.
Is this question -  the main questions about if we do not live right will we be going to Hell, does it wear off of us over time. 
Sometimes when we get converted or as children, we have had people drill it into our heads that Hell is waiting for us if we do not live morally. 
It has been etched into the head of many children. My parents did not get into all of this but they would honestly answer or clear up any question i had about religion and the Bible.
The Old Testament Speaks of Hell.   It Speaks of a Resurrection and a Last Day Event.
The Old Testament speaks of a literal place called Hell -where Your Soul can eXist and be left in.
Psa 16:10  For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 
Son 8:6  Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the hell: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame.
Deu 32:22  For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.
Job 11:8  It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do?  deeper than hell; what canst thou know ?........................................    14.  If iniquity be in thine hand, put it far away, and let not wickedness dwell in thy tabernacles.....................................   20.  But the eyes of the wicked shall fail, and they shall not escape, and their hope shall be as the giving up of the ghost.
Job 24:19  Drought and heat consume the snow waters: so doth the Hell, those which have sinned.
Psa 9:17  The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.
Dan 12:1  And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.
Dan 12:2  And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
if You don't follow the rules of Hindu You could come back in Your neXt life as a bug instead of a tree.

steveb1
Scholar

Re: Hell in Judaism

Post #4

Post by steveb1 »